Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Didn't mean to be overly harsh on you wade, or maybe I did, but regardless I have no bone with you.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun

Some of the crying here about how GW's shouldn't be able to come on your land or about an eventual shooting of a violator after an escalation reminds me a lot of what I hear from old Al Sharpton when some gangbanger gets shot after pulling a gun on a cop.

Does the property belong to the "gang banger?"

This property belonged to the "old man." There is a difference.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shhhhhhh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O, I forgot. blush

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is TRH sick or something? I think someone should check on him...This ain't right.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Hmm.. maybe the officer took cover after the gentleman threatened his life? Like they train them to? And was still trying to defuse the situation until the last minute?

Wasn't there, can't judge. But I'm not going to pre-judge the GW to be at fault based on the information given. As far as I can he was doing his job and stayed inside normal procedures as I'd understand them. Maybe more info will come out showing him to be at fault.. and if he is, I hope they hang him up high.

The one thing that really ticks me off though is the thought that any LEO should run and hide if somebody threatens him. Especially a game warden where help may be a LONG time coming.

You're right They ought to hitch up their britches and wade in there guns blazing. I mean, my God, they are game wardens. Why shouldn't they blaze away like anyone else. Their cojones are on the line . God forbid they use any judgment.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wonder what Lunger would have done.........

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I wondered the same thing exactly - but I know the answer. He would have called in a napalm strike. I mean the old guy had violated the law and wasn't complying. Case closed.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Okay, I'm throwing in my two cents. I could really use more detail here but for what was reported here, Mr. Coffee was not shot by the GW becuase he was hunting over bait (that was the reason for his contact). I believe he was killed becuase Coffee (not being a bright man) threatened to kill and most likely made the attempt to follow through on the game warden who was inforcing game laws (which he's intrusted to do). Mr. Coffee should have contacted his governing local legislator to get the game laws changed if he didn't agree with them. Or, be a little more careful not to get caught by the game warden. However, after making threats to the officer (who by law is not expected to run away everytime he is threatened), if he came out of that tree and attempted to carry out those threats, and the GW trully believed Coffee had the ability and intent, and was reasonably in fear for his life, well then THAT WAS THE REASON WHY THE GW SHOT AND KILLED POOR OLD ME.COFFEE. It's very possible the GW might have been more tactful with Mr. Coffee, defusing his anger. Then again, maybe he was and it was to no avail. Who knows? I have a question though, what would any of you do if you were the Game Warden and someone came out of a tree with the intent to kill you? I'm going to guess. If you trully believed they meant to follow through, I think you would shoot them too. That's what I think. Easy to judge another in the safety of your home, with scant information.

Last edited by slideaction; 04/13/09.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A few more maybes might clarify your position. smile

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O well, it was just an old man. So what's the diff? GW comes out smelling like a rose for a good job well done. After all, the old man was trying to kill a turkey. The turkey's life is far more important than the "old mans."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
According to this, Officer Minton was investigating due to reports of people hunting over bait. If true, there's your probable cause..

http://www.journalpatriot.com/fullstory.asp?id=1252

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Finally somebody gets it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You're right. There is not much to go on with the scant info we have here. Hard to judge this case with only what we've been told. True.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't know what to do about it, but bottom line some folks shouldn't have guns. though I don't trust the gov't to decide that, so the only reasonable alternative is to let eveyone have them.

also some folks shouldn't have badges to go with their 2nd ammendment right.

I'm all for if the gov't can't give a badge to a man with some damned common sense they should be held liable if things get ugly due to their lack of discretion.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's not the Turkey, Buck. It's not the game Warden who makes the laws he just inforced them. The reason for the shooting, has to do with being threatened with being killed. At that point the turkey hunting was no longer in the mathmatics. What would you have done if you were threatened with being killed for attempting to issue a citation? Mr. Coffee seems to have been a little...you know, Woo Hoo...and escalated his problems greatly.
I for one don't espect the GW to let himself be killed by Mr. Coffee. I hope you don't expect that either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kinda takes the fun outta poachin if'n you're gonna get shot. wink Oh wait, can you really poach if it's on your OWN land?

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
After all, the old man was trying to kill a turkey. The turkey's life is far more important than the "old mans."

Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Finally somebody gets it.

Really? What if the old man made an overt act in furtherance of his threat to kill the GW? I don't care if they were arguing over a baseball card. Someone threatens your life with a weapon, and then presents an overt action in furtherance of that express threat to kill ,while armed, it's lights out...period!

This has nothing to do with a turkey!

Last edited by isaac; 04/13/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There it is there, well put Isaac.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
+1, isaac. Thank you for stating it better than I could manage.

Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,571
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.