-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm:<P>Good choice on the double action and I am not trying to beat a dead horse, but I just want to repeat again, that an ounce of prevention is worth not having to be in a gunfight. Do what you can, within economic reason, to make your home an unattractive target and you and your family will hopefully never have to use the revolver in a bad situation. You are already ahead in the profile, by having a near adult size male besides yourself there. <P>For a while there, haven't checked lately, you could buy Smith 66s, stainless .357s traded in by various pds, for around $250 to $300. I know it is more money, but the adjustable sights will make it a good "fun" gun to learn with and if you buy a tight one to start with, it will last for a lifetime of shooting, both for "practice" and play. Have you wife see if it fits her before buying one, of course, sometimes you need a "small" set of grips to make the square butts fit smaller hands. Which is true of almost all of the guns we have talked about. As T Lee said, the round butted frames fit most smaller hands better.<P>Shop carefully and you should find something in your budget. I don't know if you reload, but it will quickly pay for itself with 2 or 3 people shooting a .38 on a regular basis. Good luck.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
While I am a 45acp nut we keep a 38DA near the bed. When thing occur suddenly or under stress it's one less thing to think about. BCR had the right idea if possible let them come to you and keep a low profile,ya have to wonder at intruders that know you are home, they are prepared to do you harm or they would make sure no one is home, that makes them dangerous. Use common sense while defending yourself, but remember a gun you are comfortable with no matter what size is better than a superdooper megawhooper that you can't hit a thing with, oh and practice with out use sights at close range, ( hold as though you are useing sights) chances are it will be dark....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heck, I just returned from Virginia and all these guys have told all the secrets. Boggy and CAT,(long winded), didn't leave much to be considered. Personally, I have a hammerless Smith and Wesson 640 at the bed and just purchased a set of Crimson Trace grips for it,(lazer), when you point it with hand on grips it emits a lazer light day or night without looking at the sights, just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger. No other light is required. the small "J" frame revolver can be handled by anyone, large or small, no safety, just pull the trigger when you have the red dot on the target. NO hammer to hang up on bedding or clothing. 640 comes in two calibers 38 special or 357 mag, 38s can be fired in the 357. Consider the difference in report between the 38+P and 357 mag ammo inside a closed room unless you want to go through life like me saying,"huh"! As for the Glasiers stopping at the wall, they will shoot through a license plate on a car with no problem so a sheet rock wall is kids stuff, although I use them for first round. One shot is usually enough to change an intruders mind even if he is in another part of the home. Gene and CAT are correct about the dog in the yard, alerts both parties and the uninvited usually go elsewhere unless you are the target, then they fix the dog. I could care less about rules and regulations when it comes to personal safety, if me or family is in danger, everyone is!! -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
7mm- I had bought my sister a S&W 640 .38spl with a 3" barrel several years ago. The local gun club sponsored a women's day at the range and a security instructor from the local Nuke plant oversaw the training. I had the trigger lightened for her and she actually hit better than I did with it. She carries it with her when ever she goes on a trip. Bob

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
A lot of good advice has already been offered. I just want to add that, imo, the old Ruger Speed-Six double action revolver in either .357 or .38 Spl. with 2 3/4" or 4" barrel would also be an excellent choice here .... very rugged and dependable, and not too expensive, if you should happen upon one. My wife likes hers, and I like borrowing it .... may have to get one of my own. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Try night sights, depleted uranium in the front and rear sights that glows in the dark, my uncle had a S&W .357 and they worked great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every reply, in toto, neatly covers the essentials except for handgun ammunition. When I teach classes (state certified concealed carry instructor) I emphasize that the only ammo to be used in handguns is the SAME ammo your local sheriff/police departments carry. Our local police carry Remington Golden Saber ammo. They used to use Federal HydaShok, too, but claim there were several failures with them. I think the only failures were a result of heavy clothing, which is the norm most of the year in Alaska. Factory ammunition eliminates a potential problem in the event that you, God forbid, have to shoot someone. Never, ever, carry, or use reloads for self-defense. This advice is from a local attourney who was a state prosecutor until he retired. There are many reasons to avoid reloads, which for brevity, I won't list. In any event, it is incumbent on you to check your local situation. It has been my experience that most local officials are symphathetic to your needs, particularly in light of the home invasion of which you spoke. Good luck<BR>batch

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, All. As I posted before, I bought a Ruger P95DC from a friend of mine. It's a 9mm, so I'll have to shoot 'em twice! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>I didn't mean to blow off the great advice on DA revolvers from you guys, but I figured I'd rather deal with a buddy I can trust where used guns are concerned. 250$ is a pretty good deal on a like new P95, and "he who hesetates is lost", so I figured I'd jump on it. I'd have liked something more powerful, but this gun is 50% for Wifey, and I think she can handle a 9mm better than a .45 or something that really snorts.<P>Batch, I got a box of hydra-shocks for it. I already had this converasation about shooting someone with reloads, and will stick to factory ammo for defence. I might reload some plinking ammo for it. I really don't know if I wnat to fool around with such a small case on a single stage press though. I'll be looking into reloading or buying cheap plinking stuff soon. Thanks again all. <BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
don't know which press you have but rcbs makes a couple of add on's so you can convert to a progressive. Got the piggyback for my rockcrusher to load 45 and 44's with. I'm not saying it match ammo but good plinking it is, been using mine a number of years and have been satified.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mine's an old turret press made by Lyman, probably around the time Methusula started reloading for his .30-30.<BR> [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>Unless Santa brings me a new progressive [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] , anything I stick together will probably be on my Lyman. If Big Hunter will help out, we should be OK. I just worrie about him overloading a 9mm bomb cause he's got girls on the brain! [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All this talk of what gun to keep stashed loaded and ready around the makes for good reading. The bottom line is, are you mentally prepared to use it in the few seconds time you have to make the decision. Will it be the right decision? Are you prepared to live with making a wrong decision? Can you afford to make a bad decision? And last but not least, does your county prosecuter have political aspirations in a non gun friendly county?

4pwr
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I didn't read all of every post, but I am surprised that no one mentioned the Cruiser. My sis live in Florida alone. She is not a shy lady, but not real brave either. She keeps a Mossberg Cruiser 20 gauge behind the front door all the time. Since it has a pistol grip, I guess that makes it a handgun. She is not a very good shot, but she doesn't have to be with this. With two rounds, she can completely cover the entire entry way, no problem with rounds going into the next room or across the street, and the third round is 00 buck and the fifth round is a slug. Just the sound of that little boomer being cycled, even through the door, is enough to cause a bad guy to think twice. [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

Dan in Arizona
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
No worries there 4pwr. First off, we'll do some shooting to learn to be proficient with it. As soon as I feel we can all handle it, I'm going to hunt up a self-defence class for the 3 of us. Defence is the primary purpose of this gun. I don't ever want to use it for that, but if someone invades my home, he'd better have made peace with his Maker. Our area is pretty rural, which means that most folks know what guns are for. Our prosecuter is a hunter, and he packs a defencive weapon himself. I know him personaly.<P>As for scatter guns, I keep one handy. But around here we answere doors to strangers. It's kinda awkward to answere one with a 12 guage. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] I want something that is always ready, should one of those strangers turn out to be unfriendly. A "House Crasher" is what got this thread going, remember?<BR>7mmbuster

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mmbuster:<P>The mention above of the mental decision to use a handgun in self/home defense is a valid point and one that should be discussed and understood by everyone who has the possiblity of using it. The basic point is, that if it is an intruder in the home, I would say almost without exception, that he is fair game and should be shot, not threatened. One exception is that if he is obviously fleeing and poses no threat, such as going out the door with the family VCR in hand. Then you cannot shoot.<P>And, finally, I live in a very rural area myself. I would guess average response time to a 911 call would be a minimum of 15 minutes and might be several times that. Obviously, if anyone has evil intent, then the situation has clarified itself one way or the other within those time frames. <P>The point of this is, that I consider it to be very, very poor policy to answer the door for strangers without carefully considering the totality of the situation. And that is why I highly recommended a peep hole and a window where you can view the whole outside door area before you consider opening the door. Not to mention, the aforementioned gate to your house, locked at night. You can be right, and probably would be, 999 times out of a 1000, but the 1 time you are wrong is why we are having this discussion. If someone really needs to see you, or needs help, they can certainly explain that through a closed door to your satisfaction while you inspect the caller and the surrounding area, and if not, tell them to move on and that you are calling 911.<BR>It may be counter to the country life style, but being friendly is one thing, being stupid, can get you killed.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
IFID, you're right- to a point. I always look out for potential danger thru the window before I'll open a door. To do less is stupid. you've got to exercise caution. I know that and accept it.<P>However, I've been broke down along the road, so I know what it's like to need help. I will not turn someone away that I think needs help. To do so goes against my upbringing. I can't turn away 999 folks in need, just because 1 may be a wacko. I take Christ instruction "What ever you do for the least of my brothers, you do for me." very serious. I want to be prepared for trouble, but if I turn my back on my beliefs, then the bad guys win.<P>I don't mean to argue with you. And I certainly accept and appreciate your advice. But, as I said, I've been in spots where I needed help. Even though I'm a fairly young guy in good shape, I've never been turned away. Even late at night, by an old lady (God blesses folks like her).<P>I aint gonna shoot anyone in the back. As I said, I'm only shooting in defence of myself or my family. Possesions can be replaced, but people can't.<BR>7mmbuster

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mmbuster:<P>OK, you should do what your beliefs lead you to think is right, and I hope it never comes to that, but if you make one mistake, I seriously doubt that quoting scripture to them will correct that mistake. But you certainly will be helping "the least of your brothers."<P>My cousin opened the door for a deputy Sheriff's daughter who claimed her car was broken down at the end of his driveway about 2 AM one morning, and when he opened the door, the guy hiding beside the door grabbed his arm and pulled him out, away from the 12 gauge beside the door. Long story, but Clarence, his gold toothed hog dog saved him, mostly by climbing over my cousin's back and eating the crook's arm off. allowing him to fall back inside and grab the shotgun and collar the other 3. And the 3 male crooks and the girl admitted they intended to kill him afterwards.<P>Good luck, and hopefully all the paranoid thoughts about security will never have any place in your life.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not trying to argue. You're absolutley right, IFID. That's the reason I want an eaqualizer handy. I hope to God I never need it, but it's way better to have and not need than need and not have. I certainly do appreciate all of your good advice, and once again I thank you. But I will not live in fear of hoodlums. If they'd put more crooks behind bars, the rest of us wouldn't have to live behind them.<P>I've got a good dog, and Wifey and Big Hunter know not to open a door to strangers. Believe me, I won't unless I got one of them to cover my back. Still, I prefer to give someone the benefit of the doupt, unless it means putting myself in danger.<BR>7mmbuster

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hope you inderstand, I answere a door, not open it! Sometimes I say one thing and mean another. I won't open it unless I got someone to cover my back.<BR>7mmbuster

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Live in a large metropolitan area,(city), this day and age and get an education about strangers and night. A barking dog saves many people every day. Well worth the expense and a great companion. In Texas I would not approach a rural house at night on foot, most have several dogs and one don't like strangers, especially at night. Allways honk before getting out of auto, either dog or person shows up quick. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
owning a hand gun for defence has many responcibilites that go with ownership, we all know this. But inorder to use that gun in a moment of crisis we need to know how to use it instinctivly. Learn to shoot at what you see with out looking at the gun. A perp just ten feet away can be on you before you have time to aim. Being clubed, slashed or stuck with a knife or worse will surley ruin your aim. Be your weapon a semi or DA revolver learn to use it well. Shoot with out sights. Remember that nois in your house could be a loved one comming home, we don't want the kind accident caused by inexpirence or rattled nerves. A flashlight is also a great thing to keep handy, pick up the gun in your gun hand and the light in your off hand, if you have time. Investigate the sound that drove you to your gun and make lots of noise, let the intruder know you are there and armed. Playing cop or Rambo will get you dead. Make the perp leave. Shoot as a last resort, and learn what is a last resort before you take up guarding you and yours with deadly force. The legal entanglement you will find yourself in for pulling that trigger before you are sure you are trully in danger will really ruin your day and a whole lot more.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,164
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.