Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
You actually beleive that?????????? You obviously have not seen them in action or the results.........me thinks you have listened to too much HSUS propaganda.......
Any naturalist will tell you that in any wild herd it's generally the slowest and least healthy that gets taken out of the gene pool by the predators. That's due to the fact that the healthy individuals can escape or fight off a predator. It's a law of nature. There is no reasonable controversy over this issue.

.............oh and by the way wolves only kill to eat....not for the sake of killing.........and they eat every scrap of what they kill.......yeah right! Had one of your "naturalists" tell me once that coyotes don't kill things either....they only eat dead stuff and are scavengers.....uh huh! Too many Disney taught experts out there.

I don't want to see them wiped out, but I do want to see them controlled. We had them here before they "reintroduced" them.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here is an interesting article that came out today on the subject.

This was about 15 miles out of Baker City. The front page of the paper shows 2 wolves (photographed) during the night returning to the kill sight. The plan is to capture, collar and release them back into the same area. The collars would allow the ODFW to "warn" the land owner when they return to kill more sheep. HOW STUPID!

Photos confirm wolves killed Keating lambs
Written by ED MERRIMAN Baker City Herald April 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Russ Morgan, ODFW wolf coordinator, says the rubber-jaw traps set around the Jacobs Ranch will grab and hold a wolf without seriously hurting the animal. If a wolf is caught, biologists will fit the animal with a radio-tracking collar, then release it nearby. (Baker City Herald/S. John Collins)
A motion-sensing camera photographed a pair of wolves before daylight Monday at the Jacobs ranch in Keating Valley, where 23 lambs have been killed since Thursday.

�This is the first confirmed depredation of livestock by wolves in Oregon� since the predators, which were extirpated from the state about 1946, returned in 1999, said Russ Morgan, wolf coordinator with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Morgan said Tuesday afternoon that a camera he set up at the Jacobs ranch about 15 miles northeast of Baker City photographed two wolves around 3 o�clock Monday morning.

When he first looked at the photos on a laptop computer at the ranch Monday morning, with sunlight glaring on the screen, Morgan couldn�t say for certain whether the animals were coyotes or wolves.

But after looking at the images on a larger screen at the ODFW office, he recognized the two big canines were in fact wolves.

To verify his conclusion, Morgan said he e-mailed the photos to wolf experts in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, who confirmed that the animals in the photos are wolves.

His goal now is to trap the wolves so he can fit them with radio-transmitting collars, which would allow ODFW to monitor their movements and alert Curt and Annie Jacobs if the wolves return to the ranch.

Morgan said it is unfortunate that Oregon�s first confirmed case of wolf depredation on livestock involved an attack on lambs confined in a fenced pen near homes and other buildings, rather than an attack in the forest or rangelands.

The latter is the more typical scenario for wolf attacks on livestock, Morgan said.

Curt Jacobs said he intends to apply for compensation for his losses from Defenders of Wildlife, a group that supported the reintroduction of wolves to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming starting in the mid 1990s.

Although biologists haven�t confirmed where the wolves that killed the sheep came from, several wolves have migrated from Idaho to Oregon during the past decade.

Jacobs said he�ll ask for $100 for each of the 23 lambs, and possibly for $5,000 in losses he�ll incur over the next five years due to the lost production from ewes that were killed or severely injured, for a total of $7,300.

In a press release issued Tuesday, Suzanne Stone of Defenders of Wildlife said the organization has offered to pay Jacobs for the value of his sheep, �if wolves are determined to be responsible.�

Wolves attacked sheep at Jacobs� ranch Thursday night, Sunday night and early Monday morning.

Morgan said his goal is to trap the wolves that killed Jacobs� sheep and fit the wolves with radio tracking collars.

Morgan said he also wants to use other measures allowed under the federal Endangered Species Act to prevent future wolf attacks at the ranch.

�We�ve gotten pretty good at killing coyotes that get into our sheep,� Jacobs said Tuesday. �We put a gun on the four-wheeler or get in a helicopter and hunt down the coyotes, but this wolf deal is a whole different thing.�

�I guess if they catch a wolf, they�ll put a radio collar on it and turn it loose right out here. The only thing I can do if they come after my sheep again is make noise, wave flags or shoot it with rubber bullets or bean bags to scare it away,� Jacobs said.

�I�ve got six guard dogs that do a pretty good job of keeping the coyotes away, but they tell me the wolves will kill the guard dogs, so I�m keeping them penned up.�

Morgan said that if biologists trap any wolves, they will release the animals nearby, rather than taking the wolves to Idaho.

In March 1999, when biologists first confirmed that a wolf had crossed the border from Idaho into Oregon, officials trapped the wolf in Grant County and took it back to Idaho.

Wolves in Northeastern Oregon will be protected under the Endangered Species Act until at least May 4.

That law prohibits people from killing or harming wolves, even ones that are in the act of attacking livestock.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced earlier this month that it intends to remove wolves in the Northern Rocky Mountains, including Northeastern Oregon, Idaho and Montana, from the endangered list as of May 4.

Conservation groups, however, have vowed to file lawsuits to try to block the delisting.

Such lawsuits succeeded in 2008, when a federal judge overturned the Fish and Wildlife Service�s decision to remove federal protection for wolves.

Even if the animals lose federal protection, they will still be protected under Oregon�s endangered species act.

Oregon�s wolf management plan, which the state Fish and Wildlife Commission approved in 2005, would allow livestock owners to shoot wolves that are attacking domestic animals.

However, that provision in the wolf plan won�t take effect unless the Oregon Legislature changes state law. Legislators have considered such changes twice this decade, but have yet to approve the changes.

Curt Jacobs� father, Ralph, who started herding sheep on the ranch when he was six years old and has been at it for 83 years, said wolves are one predator his family never had to deal with in the 99 years since his father, Harry Jacobs, founded the ranch in 1910.

�I�ve fought bear, coyotes, cougar and every other thing, but I never had to fight them right here in our feedlot before,� Ralph Jacobs said.

�My dad homesteaded here 100 years ago next year, and we never had a wolf on the place,� he said. �Hell, we hardly knew how to spell wolf.�

One of the experts Morgan called on to help identify and trap the wolves is Carter Niemeyer, whom Curt Jacobs calls �The Wolf Man.�

Niemeyer was a member of the federal Wildlife Services team that trapped 66 wolves in Alaska in 1995 and 1996 and released them in Yellowstone National Park and Central Idaho as part of the wolf reintroduction program.

Niemeyer retired last year after a 33-year career working with wolves for the USDA and later with Wildlife Services. Now he volunteers to track down wolves thought to be descendants of the wolves released in the 1990s, in cases when wolves are blamed for livestock depredation and other problems. Niemeyer also comes out of retirement for a few months each summer to track and trap wolves for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game.

�I looked at the pictures, and my opinion is he has pictures of wolves,� Niemeyer said.

He said wolf populations have risen much faster than he or anyone involved in the initial reintroduction imagined.

Since those 66 Alaskan wolves were released � 35 in Idaho and 31 in Yellowstone � the population has grown to an estimated 1,600 wolves across Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, and a few others that have migrated into Oregon, Washington, Utah and Colorado, Niemeyer said.

However, he said that expansion has created problems, including an increasing number of livestock depredation cases.

�I spend more time than anybody in the Northern Rockies looking at livestock damage by wolves,� Niemeyer said. �It�s pretty unusual for wolves to come in near buildings and people and kill little lambs and not adult sheep, but I have seen it before in Idaho.�

�Some wolves develop habits of killing certain types of livestock and not others,� Niemeyer said. �These wolves could easily kill adult sheep. It doesn�t take a pack to kill a yearling elk calf or yearling cattle.�

Although most wolves feed on wild animals, primarily deer, elk and smaller game such as mice and gophers, Niemeyer said he comes across cases like the lamb killing at the Jacobs ranch from time to time that perpetuate the predators� �big bad wolf� reputation.

�I have a lot of pride in the wolf recovery program, but I know they have to be managed,� Niemeyer said. �It�s been a very controversial issue, very heated, very emotional, very passionate.�

�Almost everyone on the street has an opinion, whether they love or hate wolves,� Niemeyer said. �Wildlife managers need to balance all of those needs and values.�

�Wildlife managers need to make sure they are fair to the ranchers� whose livestock are killed by wolves, he said.

Proponents of wolf reintroduction agreed.

�Wolves and livestock co-exist just like other wildlife co-exists with livestock, but unfortunately there will be occasional losses like (the Jacobs sheep),� said Stone from Defenders of Wildlife. �Defenders has worked with hundreds of ranchers in our region to avoid conflicts with wolves, and compensate for losses when appropriate.�

Recent documented wolf attacks on people in Canada serve as a reminder that claims that wolves don�t target livestock or humans are not true of all wolves.

�Of all the big predators, the wolf is very capable of killing people. It is rare, but they�ve got the teeth for it,� Niemeyer said.

After looking at the photos e-mailed by Morgan on Monday, Niemeyer volunteered and was on the road within 45 minutes from his home in Idaho to Keating to help track down the wolves.

�I�ve always been a trapper since I was a small boy. I like the challenge. It�s not the challenge to kill them. It�s the challenge of tracking them, figuring out where to set a trap, and getting them to put their foot in one little 6-inch spot,� Niemeyer said.

This isn�t the first time Niemeyer has helped Morgan track and trap wolves in Oregon and fit them with radio collars.

�I came in and worked with Russ last summer when wolves were spotted above La Grande,� Niemeyer said. That was the first documented case of a pack of wolves in Oregon since wolves were released in Idaho in 1995.

Niemeyer said he was also on the team that tracked, trapped and collared the first pair of wolves and wolf pups found in Washington state last year in the North Cascades near Twisp.

At the Jacobs Ranch, Niemeyer and Morgan spent Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday following wolf tracks and finding other wolf signs, such as droppings, to identify the path the wolves followed.

Niemeyer said the wolves most likely traveled the five to six miles from the forest above Keating Valley, to the Jacobs ranch, in less than 20 minutes.

�Wolves have large lungs, long legs and big feet. They lope along at 3 to 4 miles per hour, and they can run along at 20 mph for hours without breathing hard,� Niemeyer said.

Once they map the wolves� travel corridor, Morgan and Niemeyer will pick the best spots for burying rubber-coated foot traps designed to trap the wolves without seriously hurting them.

�The traps we�re using are called easy grip foothold traps,� Morgan said. �They have rubber jaws.�

�We have a responsibility if we trap an animal to reduce the risk of injury as much as possible, even in a setting like this,� Morgan said.

By trapping the wolves that killed Jacobs� lambs, Morgan said he can help prevent future attacks by attaching a radio transmitter collars to the wolves, which will alert ODFW and Jacobs if the animals return to the sheep pens.

�I feel right now my primary responsibility is to help this fellow here (Jacobs) who has suffered a loss,� Morgan said.

Morgan said he may also install two types of behavioral fencing.

The first type has flags that blow in the wind and are supposed to drive wolves away.

If that doesn�t prevent the wolves from entering the sheep pens, Morgan said the second option is to install electric fencing.

�The main goal is to keep this from happening again,� Morgan said.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
The locals up in Northern Minnesota have their own way of dealing with wolf "problems." It's called, "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up."
I gots news fer ya.. It ain't limited to northern MN...

Ranchers/farmers get p-o'd enough and after they get done SSSing the wolves they're going to - well, never mind...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You actually beleive that?????????? You obviously have not seen them in action or the results.........me thinks you have listened to too much HSUS propaganda.......
Any naturalist will tell you that in any wild herd it's generally the slowest and least healthy that gets taken out of the gene pool by the predators. That's due to the fact that the healthy individuals can escape or fight off a predator. It's a law of nature. There is no reasonable controversy over this issue.

.............oh and by the way wolves only kill to eat....not for the sake of killing.........and they eat every scrap of what they kill.......yeah right!
That's absurd. No reasonable person would expect a wild predator to limit himself when multiple easy kills are available (such as domesticated sheep), nor to eat every bite if he's not hungry. That issue has nothing to do with what I said, and there is a difference between a naturalist and an environmentalist. Also, no one said that all self-described naturalists are equally qualified to speak on every question.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was being sarcatic................BTW you are just like the news media culling quotes...grin Can I join your ignore list?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd stand in the way of anyone wishing to wipe out the wolf, he's just too interesting of a creature to not have him around.

I think can agree with that, to a point.

That's also what a retired Oregon Game Bioligist of 25 years told me personally till he inherited his father in laws ranch and it became his livleyhood. He no longer believes that.

He has severe predator problems.

Last edited by SU35; 04/16/09.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Supertrucker
Originally Posted by gophergunner
The locals up in Northern Minnesota have their own way of dealing with wolf "problems." It's called, "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up."

For people that don't like to get their hands dirty, a hollow point or full metal jacket to the paunch works well too.

That is the method in north WI too. I was soooooo close to doing that to a bear that would not leave my tree stand setup last deer hunt. And the year before too. I shouted and cursed that bear for some time. It could have cared less. Had to shoot a stump next to the bear to get it to leave.

See, where my place is, deer (fawns)are being killed by the increasing wolf, bear, coyote, and fischer population. And the adult deer make themselves scarce because of the predators. There is now a known wolf pack in my area, the bears are common. Coyote pop. up too.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 721_tomahawk
I am thinkin a wolf wont run by an animal just to grab the next fastest... therefore the obviously eat the slowest one, THAT DAY.. just becasue he's the slowest member of the herd dont mean he is sick... kinda like gettin last place in the olympic's....

You've been had by the animal myth-mongers. A wolf or pack of wolves will kill one animal and leave it to kill the next-slowest until they get tired. They will kill far more than they can eat if they are able. Virtually everything the animal-activists have said about wolves is false. Including the myth that wolves won't attack humans. We've seen the proof locally.

BTW - Oregon - you're very welcome! Enjoy!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SU35
Well it was just a matter of a short time. We all knew it was going to happen, and it did.

It was reported that two Wolves went on a sport killing spree in
in Eastern Oregon just outside the city of Baker.

They killed 19 sheep and left them to rot.

Oregon Fish and Wildlife are encouraging ranchers to get more dogs and electric fence. ( I can't help but laugh at this)

So for the textbook theory that wolves only kill the week and old
that's pure bunk, and the wolves know it.

Sheep now, elk herds next.

Have a happy Thursday.
Well, in the wild they do only kill the sick and the old, but to them sheep are very easy prey. Even easier than a sick deer.

That�s the same kind of crap our liberal thinking hippies have in this state. You sure you�re not from Eugene or Portland???? crazy

Damn until they get down to the last elk there is always going to be one that�s unlucky or as the hippies say that is sick.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by joecool544
That�s the same kind of crap our liberal thinking hippies have in this state. You sure you�re not from Eugene or Portland????

Damn until they get down to the last elk there is always going to be one that�s unlucky or as the hippies say that is sick.
Nothing I've said in this thread is the least bit controversial unless you intentionally twist the meaning. There is no simpler to understand concept than that a hungry predator will prefer the easiest kill.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Your ok Hawk,

If you noticed, I used words like slaughter and bloodbath
just to spite the lib press who use that lingo freely
in just about everything they write.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

so what do they eat if they don't find a weak or sick one?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by joecool544
That�s the same kind of crap our liberal thinking hippies have in this state. You sure you�re not from Eugene or Portland????

Nothing I've said in this thread is the least bit controversial unless you intentionally twist the meaning. There is no simpler to understand concept than that a hungry predator will prefer the easiest kill.

No twisting the truth here, I have seen yotes take down deer on my ranch there was nothing sick or weak or old about them they cut it out from the other deer and ran it down the hill when it tried to return to the other's by going back up the hill the yote took it down. The deer just made the wrong move. Again that animal wasn�t sick, weak or old.

Stupid Pucking hippie�s liberals want these back in the states while they live in town and the ranchers get to deal with them. And they kill off all the big game as well.

You would probably feel a little different about them if they came into your yard and killed your pit bull.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TooDogs

See, where my place is, deer (fawns)are being killed by the increasing wolf, bear, coyote, and fischer population. And the adult deer make themselves scarce because of the predators. There is now a known wolf pack in my area, the bears are common. Coyote pop. up too.

Alright, Which one of these guy has been killing fawns?

Fischer 1 |ˈfi sh ər|
Fischer, Bobby (1943� ), U.S. chess player; full name Robert James Fischer. He defeated Boris Spassky in 1972 to become the world champion, a title he held until 1975.
Fischer 2 |ˈfɪʃər| |ˈfɪʃə|
Fischer, Emil Hermann (1852�1919), German organic chemist. He studied the structure of sugars, other carbohydrates, and purines and synthesized many of them. He also confirmed that peptides and proteins consist of chains of amino acids. Nobel Prize for Chemistry (1902).
Fischer 3 |ˈfɪʃər| |ˈfɪʃə| |ˈfɪʃɐ|
Fischer, Hans (1881�1945), German organic chemist. He determined the structure of the porphyrin group of many natural pigments. Nobel Prize for Chemistry (1930).

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Really though, I had no idea that a Fisher was big and bad enough to kill a fawn! I thought they were about like weasels or some such.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they are weasels.......just like wolverines are weasels.....they is big friggin weasels grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some good information here on wolf behavior.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3808155?cookieSet=1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

so what do they eat if they don't find a weak or sick one?
There is never a situation where all members of a herd are exactly equal in their power to avoid predation. Some will be "weaker" in this respect than others. Those will be the next to die.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Best thing that ever happened, the lower 48 getting wolves.

Had they not got their share, we'd certainly have no predaton programs up here.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't say I think wolves only prey on the "sick and weak", per se. To an Alpha predator such as the wolf, especially a pack of wolves, ungulates no matter the age or size seem like pretty easy quarry, especially 23 lambs. Combine deep snow with that equation, a mature bull elk even becomes pretty easy prey. They act on their instincts, nothing more or less. I can't believe they are serial killers that try to kill every animal in sight for shear pleasure, there is a natural reason they do it.

No way in hell they should be wiped out, anywhere. That's a ridiculous statement. However, they really do need to be managed by hunters, ranchers, and wildlife agencies.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,091
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.