Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I personally believe that everyone of those [bleep] sons of bitches found outside of the park should have the exact rights as the coyotes.

[bleep] 'em!

Best comment I have heard on this thread...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's looooong past due for a little wolfy reality check Tim!

To be honest they've never caused me any personal grief but I still want to hunt 'em in the worst way.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'll put it another way. Wolves will eat anything they can catch, and they can catch anything on four legs. For those in Rio Linda

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I personally believe that everyone of those [bleep] sons of bitches found outside of the ZOO should have the exact rights as the coyotes.

[bleep] 'em!

There I fixed that for you!!!! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's looooong past due for a little wolfy reality check Tim!

To be honest they've never caused me any personal grief but I still want to hunt 'em in the worst way.

Sam,
Agreed 100%

My opinion is that in Idaho, even if ALL of the wolves were to be exterminated, it would take quite some time for the elk population to recover.
Sad situation for us hunters.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hawkeye
There is no simpler to understand concept than that a hungry predator will prefer the easiest kill.

It's just that the "easiest" isn't always sick or weak. It's the "sick and weak" phrase that calls attention in wolf discussions.

As an aside, who was the alleged biologist that started the sick and weak arguement? Brainfarting the name.....

Last edited by ironbender; 04/16/09.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think his first name was Walt and he liked mice. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Farley Mowatt

Never Cry Wolf.

Dang...that hurt to dredge up........

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I think his first name was Walt and he liked mice. smile

TFF smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scorpion
...I can't believe they are serial killers that try to kill every animal in sight for shear pleasure, there is a natural reason they do it.

Believe it. We have witnesses. BTW - the natural reason is "practice". Like any other predator, those who practice will do better. Practice gives pleasure. If it wasn't pleasant for the wolf, it would'nt practice.

...No way in hell they should be wiped out, anywhere...

I agree with that. It's a good thing to have a few wolves. They do, in fact, take out the dumb ones and the slow ones first.

The problem arises when the wolf numbers grow to the point of having a negative impact on animal populations which cannot be sustained. It seems from reports and from my own observation that reached that point some time ago in Idaho. If the wolf numbers are left unchecked (as in limited to less than what we already have), game herds in Idaho will soon dwindle below huntable populations.

IMO, that is the unspoken goal of the wolf activists.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I bet they go after the easiest meal. I'm all for hunting them but not to the point of extinction or extirpation. Just low numbers. There have been probs in WI, pets, bird dogs, and of course sheep and some cows. A waitress who waited on us during deer season in Bayfield had a cow killed. The DNR paid for it, but they had a small farm, the cow was one they had for awhile, it was like a pet/part of the place. The thousand bucks did little towards replacing the actual loss. It was a dairy cow, you get good return on them if they are good producers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too many pages to read here, and I don't feel like getting into a pissin match. Regardless of your personal views on wolves, I'll say this.

Anyone who says wolves kill the weak(est), old, sick or slowest first has zero experience with wolves. You certainitly have never actually watched a wolf(s) pick an elk out of a herd and kill it. I have seen them run past several to grab another. This has been seen by several ranchers here in the Bitterroot.

If you want to bring biology into the equation, do the costs/benefits of killing a so called "easier" prey outweigh the
costs/benefits of spending just a little more effort to kill a healthy animal? An animal that is less nutritious or diseased? Wolf adaptations may have selected for wolves to bypass obviously less healthy prey, because hey, who wants to eat that nasty ol cow when that nice healthy one is just a little harder to take down.

My point is the whole "slower, sicker, older animal first" argument is very debatable.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The whole "slower, sicker, older animal first" premise is also FALSE. If you been there, you know.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you wouldn't really want to do that to a wuff, transporting them to the east. You would want them to get sick eating liberals?
Couldn't taste good

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bearmgc
The whole "slower, sicker, older animal first" premise is also FALSE.
No it isn't. It's a law of nature. The stronger and faster (those best at avoiding predation) survive and pass that advantage on to the next generation.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Reintroducing wolves, stopping the use of hounds for hunting, restricting trapping methods and so forth are examples of the continuing tyranny of democracy by those who have no stake in the outcome. This is a republic. How the Feds

Couldn't they drop a few off in California, NYC, DC and so forth?

I know several fishermen that would love to share a sea lion. I am holding back from bringing up spotted owls.

Coyotes are bad enough on sheep, they like to come in and chew on throats and choke out a bunch too.

Once the wolves get educated try catching them or even getting good pics.

We have problems coming that will take years to solve.

In Oregon we currently have seals and sea lions all over our docks and dams, redtail hawks on every fourth fence post on I-5,
cougars coming into town and beginning to make attacks and now wolves.

Mom was from Michigan and used to talk about the packs chasing the cutters at night. I wonder if they will chase snow boarders.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

so what do they eat if they don't find a weak or sick one?
i have heard that they kind of like a natural form of waldorf salad

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Scorpion
...I can't believe they are serial killers that try to kill every animal in sight for shear pleasure, there is a natural reason they do it.

Believe it. We have witnesses. BTW - the natural reason is "practice". Like any other predator, those who practice will do better. Practice gives pleasure. If it wasn't pleasant for the wolf, it would'nt practice.

...No way in hell they should be wiped out, anywhere...

I agree with that. It's a good thing to have a few wolves. They do, in fact, take out the dumb ones and the slow ones first.

The problem arises when the wolf numbers grow to the point of having a negative impact on animal populations which cannot be sustained. It seems from reports and from my own observation that reached that point some time ago in Idaho. If the wolf numbers are left unchecked (as in limited to less than what we already have), game herds in Idaho will soon dwindle below huntable populations.

IMO, that is the unspoken goal of the wolf activists.

Yep, if the wolf population is left unmanaged and let to continue to grow naturally without our intervention, our game and livestock numbers will continue to dwindle until there is nothing left. The wolves will kill until there is no prey left, at which point their numbers will decline, only to rise again once the prey populations increase again.

Mix hunting in with that, and we're taking a lot from the prey numbers, but doing nothing about the predator population. It's growing unaffected, while we do have natural and man made population control for prey. It's well overdue that we start managing the wolves in the Lower 48 like any other game animal, before it's too late. Unfortunately, I think most in power will not realize this fact until it is way too late.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bearmgc
The whole "slower, sicker, older animal first" premise is also FALSE. If you been there, you know.

And that is why wolves in America hunted elk into extinction before modern man arrived on the scene...

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

Couldn't they drop a few off in California, NYC, DC and so forth?

Easy there Bud, we already have major problems with a large apex predator, the mountain lion.

These are the boys I run with...

[Linked Image]

Isn't Portland Oregon's San Francisco?

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,642
Posts18,493,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.