Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JDK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have been looking at one for a couple of weeks now. Post 1964 in 308 in great shape. No cracks on the stock at all and it looks like it has hardly been fired. Price is fair.

Pro and cons?

HR IC

R
R
pros
-In terms of accuracy it has a 1 piece stock and a bolt action style locking system... both of these equal to better accuracy than other lever guns.

-It's also comparatively light weight which makes it a great choice for a close quarters brush gun.

-If it's post 64 then you might also be looking at a carbine (19in) which makes it an even better brush gun.

-Quick follow up shots compared to same caliber bolt guns.

-Cheap

Cons
-Not the best triggers in the world, like the mossberg rifles they move with the lever.

-Not a good bench gun, the lever gets in the way wink

-Probably hard to find parts for

-I don't have one

Just a few... buy it, if you don't like it give it to me!

ps If it's a carbine then its worth more, so keep that in mind when you look at the price.

Last edited by RustyShackleford; 04/16/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one in the seventies that was stolen from me after an accident, before police arrived at scene. My that rifle fit me like a glove. I used it for rabbits and partridge and deer, all head shots. I was not aware they did not shoot well, I just used it fr everything. I have always wanted to replace it, but have not been willing to put up the 500-600 bucks usually priced here in Canada.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't like the geometry of the pistol grip and the triggers just plain suck! If you want a lever action 308 to hunt with, my recommendation would be a Sako Finnwolf. They tend to be expensive, but they are much nicer rifles than any Winchester 88 ever made.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Price is fair. Pro and cons?]

PRO - It's F/S

CON - I don't currently own one. wink

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one and really enjoy it and yes, I hunted with it. The one thing that sets it apart for sure is that it is a Winchester M88. In short, the rifle has a class factor above than what you would get from any other lever action 308 today, in my opinion...

I would give the Savage 99 a tie.

Every gun is different in fitting to the individual. With that being said, throw it up! And see what you think. If the price is fair, it will be probably be worth more down the road if you care about that. The post 64s for some reason seem to going up a lot faster in prices. I have no idea why. Maybe because they are often seen in the best condition. Whatever..

If you want it, buy it. It is a cool rifle that will give you a sense of history when shooting it, or better yet, hunting with it.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i've had two, both in 308. one shot well and the other not so good. the trigger sucks and there is little to be done to make it better. the stock design isn't bad just a bit low in the comb, and most have a propensity to crack at the rear of the action into the pistol grip.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

I'd buy it..the 88 has the cool factor..great style..not a bench gun cause it's a huntin' rig..you'll get over the trigger..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JDK
I have been looking at one for a couple of weeks now. Post 1964 in 308 in great shape. No cracks on the stock at all and it looks like it has hardly been fired. Price is fair.

Pro and cons?

The main one is the firing pin. Make sure it actually fires before you buy it.. They're rather delicate and nearly impossible to find a replacement.. And when you do, bring a fat wallet..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
R
Yeah, they may have used the same firing pin as the Winchester model 100 and they were known to snap pins, sometimes ending with bad results. I think they even had a recall for the model 100 pins.

edit: Did a little browsing, doesn't look to be the same firing pins but I did come across a few broken 88 firing pin stories, no one that has posted here has had a problem with theirs though so it must be a pretty isolated problem, just something to keep an eye on.... still wish I had one!

Last edited by RustyShackleford; 04/17/09.
IC B3

J
JDK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks everyone.

I knew about the stocks cracking. I did not know about the firing pin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The firing pin is a easy fix, not sure but what it is a 100 problem only.
If you want a bench rest gun the 88's trigger isn't what you want. I never noticed the pull shooting at a critter.

We have two of them both will shoot better than MOA with reloaded Core-Lokt bullets.

Dad bought his new in 1961, mine was made in 57, I have had it over 20 years. Never a mechanical or stock problem with either gun. They work just fine as a hunting gun. Ours have taken both deer and elk.

Last edited by 700LH; 04/16/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had never heard that the Model 100 firing pin issue extended to the 88.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had one since 64. Same stock,no cracks, same firing pin. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger.I did accurize it and now it shoots s1/2-3/4 MOA.Trigger is crap,but you can get over it.

You have to watch the magazines.The ears cang et bent and it screws up feeding.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/16/09.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had a couple of them in .308 and they were nice accurate rifles but they had clips and clips have a habit of falling out and getting lost...

I prefer the Savage M-99..The savages really do respond well if properly glass bedded, but so did the 88s.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I am working with one right now that I have had for ten years but never shot. It fits me well and I like the feel of it. It is accurate, below one inch with some 150 grain bullets, almoat as good with 165 grainers. Action is slick and fast, trigger sucks. Another good thing, I never tried the 308 before and I love it, velocities are as advertised, powders burn clean, good round!

Jim

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had one for a few years. It was a post 64 and had the pressed wood. I liked the way it fit me, and despite the fact that the barrel was not in the best shape it did not fair too bad at 100 giving 2.5 inches or 3 IIRC with a minium load of RL15 and speer bullets (this is a good load for another 308 I have as well). If you like to hunt with something different I would snap it up. I am not a gunsmith but the one I had worked. I did not like the trigger, I did not like the long loud lever throw, but all in all it was a fun gun and I enjoyed it for a while, talley LW's for the M70 fit it and if you need a set I will sell you mine for $30.00!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one as a gift to myself 15 years ago and enjoyed it. When I remarried my wife began hunting and claimed it as her own (She is a lefty). Today I have to ask if I can borrow her rifle.

They are good guns. As far as I know the firing pin problem was confined to the M100. Mine is a pre 64 but on the proside I am told the post 64 was the only Winchester to improve after that year. My understanding is there were minor redesigns that strengthened and improved it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have enjoyed owning two of the Win 88's. Still have one that is a post 64 and slick as glass. I bought it thinking I would convert it to a 338-08 since I already had one 88 in 308 and this one had a ring in the barrel under the front sight. I made the mistake of shooting it before the conversion. I gave my other 88 to my son and still have the one with the ring in the barrel. Shoots around an inch at 100yds give or take a 1/4 inch with most any load you want to put through it. Yep, the trigger is not great, well...it's worse than that, but it is better than the last two Remingtons I bought. The hole is bored down the middle of the barrel which is more than I can say for the same two Remingtons. The magazine doesn't fall out, the stock is real uncracked walnut, it points nearly as good as a Remington model 14, and while it is fast for a second shot, I don't seem to need them as often when I shoot the 88. The deer haven't noticed that they were getting shot with a rifle with a trigger that stinks.

Harry
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
Yeah, they use the same firing pin as the Winchester model 100 I believe
...um, no it is not the same firing pin..

As to it being 'an easy fix', I want to know what that is... Last one I saw had been repaired by drilling the body and replacing the forward part of the pin with a hardened, thin shaft of some kind.. It worked for a while I guess but it wasn't going to for long...

Last original one I found was in Kansas - $150... and the consensus from others in the business at the time said I was lucky to find one for that .. After a month of searching, the owner found another - at $179.00...

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I haven't found any real info to prove otherwise at this time..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.