Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Reiche
� We Christians � are told to go out and evangelize. If we're not doing it, we are not following Christ. So, as much as you dislike it, that poor Christian that's trying to force his beliefs on you is only doing what his religion demands of him. He's following Christ's words

Only some of 'em.

He said two things �
"Go and teach"
and
"Wait until you get the power."

Too many, too often, go out and try to evangelize on the strength of their own enthusiasm, limited knowledge, and limited wisdom. And there's the rub � unfortunately but also understandably. Adding to the sadness of it is the fact that so few seem willing to tolerate 'em.

Doc Howell and I are on the same track!

Act 1:8
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Mat 28:19
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
To put a finer point on it:

The Bible is fine, and I find it worthy.
Faith in the Bible, or other beliefs, can be a worthy thing as well.
However, many of faith who adhere to the Bible can be obnoxious in their evangelical actions, and Christians by far can be and have been the worst IMHO.
Further, a "holier than thou" and "not perfect; just saved" attitude of Christians has led many of them to be, generally and genuinely, jackasses to me and others.
I have no qualms with the Bible, only genuinely and generally Christians, and not due to their faith, only their actions and attitudes.

Clear it up any?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Brother Keith, that's precisely how shallow and illogical that "thinking" is.

No, "brother Keith's" logic was off.

And, as usual, the backslappers rush to congratulate his flawed logic, missing the point (again) entirely.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Those are not religions, they are Christian denominations.

Your church, or denomination, tells you evangelize (in fact, you just said so), not necessarily the belief.

And, why would the church tell you to evangelize? Why, to increase the size of the flock, and thus the $$$$$$ take, to put it bluntly.

I've corrected my previous post to reflect denominations, not religions. That was an error on my part.

My denomination, as do most denomiations, tell us to go and spread the word of Christ. If that wasn't the point of Christianity, is there any point to it at all? That's what Christianity is.

As far as the increased $$$$, this is not supposed to be used to anyone's personal benefit, nor for building shrines to the denomination. I'm sure you can find hundreds of examples of financial abuse in Christian churches, but that is not the basis of Christianity.

St. Paul tells those he sends out to pay their own way (Paul was tent maker), so they are not seen by others as a burden on those who support them (aka leeches). The church has evolved such that leadership positions are paid roles and in some, very well paid roles, which I think has brought very negative publicity to the church and in some cases very poor leaders (people more interested in $$$$ than Christ; people more interested in a new Lexus than a new mission in Africa).

Related to your comment about $$$. One place the Anglican church has been spending a lot of money is in Africa. From a $$$ point of view, this is money down the drain. There is no expectation of every getting anything back, but we continue to send missionaries there to spread the word of Christ. It's not about $$$ it's about spreading the word.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Reiche
Those are not religions, they are Christian denominations.

Your church, or denomination, tells you evangelize (in fact, you just said so), not necessarily the belief.

And, why would the church tell you to evangelize? Why, to increase the size of the flock, and thus the $$$$$$ take, to put it bluntly.

I've corrected my previous post to reflect denominations, not religions. That was an error on my part.

My denomination, as do most denomiations, tell us to go and spread the word of Christ. If that wasn't the point of Christianity, is there any point to it at all? That's what Christianity is.

As far as the increased $$$$, this is not supposed to be used to anyone's personal benefit, nor for building shrines to the denomination. I'm sure you can find hundreds of examples of financial abuse in Christian churches, but that is not the basis of Christianity.

St. Paul tells those he sends out to pay their own way (Paul was tent maker), so they are not seen by others as a burden on those who support them (aka leeches). The church has evolved such that leadership positions are paid roles and in some, very well paid roles, which I think has brought very negative publicity to the church and in some cases very poor leaders (people more interested in $$$$ than Christ; people more interested in a new Lexus than a new mission in Africa).

Related to your comment about $$$. One place the Anglican church has been spending a lot of money is in Africa. From a $$$ point of view, this is money down the drain. There is no expectation of every getting anything back, but we continue to send missionaries there to spread the word of Christ. It's not about $$$ it's about spreading the word.

Funny, I thought the point of Christianity was a personal relationship with God, through Christ, for salvation.

To the point of the $$$, no, it's not $$ down the drain, since the church is using it to increase it's influence internationally, and it's building churches, etc. Oh, and they use it as a driver for even great than usual donations. No, it's always about the $$$$$$.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't it passing strange that so many who profess to detest these threads about Christianity flock to post so much on 'em?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Isn't it passing strange that so many who profess to detest these threads about Christianity flock to post so much on 'em?

Isn't it strange that such a comment is always thrown out here, when the backslappers find that someone caught them in flawed logic (again)?

And, when directed to the thread by someone else, since they thought I might be interested (and it didn't take a brain surgeon to figure out who Blaine wanted to respond in the first place), that someone will respond?

What is strange is that christians will constantly ignore the fact that folks aren't generally finding fault with the Bible or with faith, but with the actions and attitudes of christians.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
In other words, avoid the point. As usual.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When people start quoting scriptures they usually do more damage to their cause than they help.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by bea175
When people start quoting scriptures they usually do more damage to their cause than they help.

It doesn't matter whether it's Bible or Rock Songs. Hatred is hatred. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
In other words, avoid the point. As usual.

I guess I should have pasted a link to "Round, Round We Go."

Brother Keith

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by bea175

It doesn't matter whether it's Bible or Rock Songs. Hatred is hatred. grin

Again, you miss the point, or avoid it.

The scripture isn't being hated here. The attitude of christians is the problem.

Oh, and it is ironic that christians here are now talking about being hated, after their diatribes and vitriol against anything not within their denominational dogma that got CATC unplugged. What's a bunch of anti-semitic, anti-Catholic hate speech, so long as you can run to the "not perfect; just saved" defense, right?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I am neither anti-semetic or anti-catholic. I have friends in both camps.

Like you, I couldn't care less what you think. wink

And I am not missing your point . . . . it's just that it's pointless.

Brother Keith

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by the_shootist

And I am not missing your point . . . .

No, you're proving it.

Thanks.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You're welcome. Glad a Bible believing Christian could be of some help to you. grin

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recently had the opportunity to share a few Ken Howell coinings with a very perceptive and appreciative young Christian. One was "diagnostic irritant" � a term that refers to the fact that what irritates you about Christianity diagnoses your spiritual need � whether you be a "Christian" or an objector to all things Christian.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wheewww!

hopin this don't get ugly and am hopin my two cents is intended as water and not as gasoline.

there is a difference in walkin it vs. talkin it

I don't mean to slight anyone by ommission nor embarras anyone by my example if I do either please try and forgive me.

But reading this thread a glarin example comes to mind

Mickey Coleman (sorry Mick, but you just came to mind is all)

I see MC as evangelizing by how he walks, sure his talk backs his walk but that's just how I see it.

Mickey ain't selling, he's bought in. If you want to know where you can get yours I imagine if you asked Mickey he'd tell you.

it's the slower way to get what you're after, but more effective from my perspective.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pete E
So while you guys are worried about killing unborn babies, you support a god that carried out genocide..

Pete,
If I may I would like to answer this. God is God & life is His to give or take. In Genesis He caused the flood because the people of earth had become exceedingly wicked. If we look at flip side of the coin, He has given everyone life. How many billions has that been since Adam & Eve?

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It has never been the message, just the messenger.

Excellent point!! And so very true.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,874 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,608
Posts18,532,785
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.