Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Tis why I always chuckle at the 'this is the one gun I would never sell' comments.

If the day ever comes that I don't know a single person more important than stuff put a bullet in me.

+1 on this one as I've often found myself thinking the same thing. If the chips were down and somebody I care for needed help, nothing would be sacred!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ADK4Rick
example:

today my 9 yo son tells me he lost his Lacrosse helmet that I bought him a month ago for $110.00.

got a game in 2 days and I need a prop for my motor,which one do you think I'm gonna buy?

every day I admire my own fathers restraint.

love is great but it ain't cheap

I often wish my Dad was still alive so I could thank him for all the things I never understood.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
example:
love is great but it ain't cheap

Stay in love then, because despite the fact it ain't cheap, it's much cheaper than divorce, trust me on this. Especially when you're kids want to be with you instead of mom, and you wind up playing Mr. Mom, along with all the other things a man has to do. Don't ask me how I know all this, LMAO.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
but dad ALWAYS had time for his favorite son.

Didn't know ya had a brother...

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think your kids are lucky to have such a generous pop. I hope they have or will learn the proper appreciation for that.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's why I didn't have a problem being a gigolo for a few years.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kids are expensive and should come first. Mine are grown with kids of their own and good jobs. Until that happened I had one centerfire rifle with a Bushnell 4x Banner scope, a 12 gauge shotgun and a 22 rifle and pistol. That was it and all I needed. Probably still all I need but...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tis why I always chuckle at the 'this is the one gun I would never sell' comments.

If the day ever comes that I don't know a single person more important than stuff put a bullet in me.

Scott you are just all right in my book!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Funny bastard, I'd say more but I need to make a Cabelas order.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Laffin ...

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a son in college and daughter in diapers. After my duaghter was born I left a high paying job with at least 2 weeks travel a month to work 5 minutes from home. The income adjustment has been tough, I can't buy whatever I want when I want it but I will never be able to put a dollar value on the payback! Time with your kids is priceless.

Steelhead has it right about never selling a gun, but I know what would go last!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Never married, one child, expensive attorneys........luckily the the latter two didn't come along until my early 40's...By then I had tried out most of the toys known to us boys, got to hunt on two continents, and discarded the toys that weren't worth it.......

Besides, you don't NEED $1000 bino's and custom barreled rifles to consistently kill big critters......indeed, those high dollar toys sometimes get in the way........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back in 1994 my wife lost her job and almost died. We had major medical bills well in excess of $100 large. I sold every gun, knife, scope, bullet it took to pay the bills. Before all that happened she used to give me grief about buying guns even though I always said they were just an investment and they were. Now if I see a good deal, she asks me why don't you buy it. They are nothing but wood and steel.....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep, if it can't fit on my DEBIT card I can't buy it.

Yeah, I've learned that financial strategy too......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Using credit to buy something you can't afford is only acceptable if what you're buying it a true necessity ... I can't recall the last time I bought on credit, something I couldn't pay for at the end of the month. IOW, I use my CC the same as a debit card, simply because it's easier than carrying around the cash, and helps keep my credit rating high for when I do need/want to buy a new vehicle, home, etc...

anyway, regarding the super whizzbang customs, I only have two real "customs", and it's taken me almost 4 years to get those two together ... it's not like I just forked over $2000 at once, in exchange for a rifle ready to hunt ...

it's amazing what you can do, if you just save a few dollars here and there over the course of a year ... those small amounts that don't seem to matter at the moment add up big over time, and more quickly than you'd imagine ...

Last edited by WGM; 04/21/09.

-WGM-
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Yep, if it can't fit on my DEBIT card I can't buy it.

Yeah, I've learned that financial strategy too......

Casey

It's the best strategy by far!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
this whole thread brings tears to my eyes.

not because of the things i lost, but because of the things i never had, and because of the things your children now have, and will always have...

while on his deathbed my father said to me, through all the alzheimer's and dementia, "...I gave you a cattle ranch, and look what you've done for me!!!"

he was suffering from a heart attack, and being tended to by the folks at Scott & White up in Temple.

the things in life are not important as the people in life. i was always a "burden" to my dad. he frequently spoke to others in the coffee shops and bars, and one of his favorite sayings to his friends was, "...i hope i'm as much trouble to him when i'm old as he is to me now...".

dad was not joking. he never joked. his idea of a joke was, "...what did the little dog say when he sat down on sandpaper... RUFF!..."

he was a man that thought music, of any kind, was "bullschite". ergo, we never listened to much. no caruso, no pete seegar, no willie nelson, johnny cash, no nothing... we had books, however. books, and books, and books...

what kinda gun you want? lemme know. maybe we can work something out...

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those who HAVE the toys, post about them. Those without generally don't say much about those particular toys, but do talk about what they DO!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

today my 9 yo son tells me he lost his Lacrosse helmet that I bought him a month ago for $110.00.

got a game in 2 days and I need a prop for my motor,which one do you think I'm gonna buy?

Where are you going fishing??? grin

Seriously, been there and done that. I have 3 kids and a couple about to go to college. I'm proud that I can help with the tuition but it's going to be a tight 4 or 7 years coming up at el rancho. Fortunately the gun and ammo supply was put in well in advance. I don't have alot of toys but I have enough to tide me over. I'll try to make a couple hunts on the cheap in the next several years but nothing expensive for sure.

My advice to anyone is to never use credit....unless for a mortgage. Build up a cash reserve so that the inevitable emergencies can be paid as you go instead of using plastic. Live by the simple rule of don't have the cash, don't buy it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never bought a new rifle (for myself). I did buy a new Shotgun (Rem 870 on sale and with a rebate total cost $160). I have been the fortunate recipient of three new firearms, as gifts (Stevens 311D 20ga., Ithica SKB 12ga., and a Uberti 1873 Cattlemand 45 Colt). These were all from my father. All the new firearms that I have bought except the 870 were for my sons. The rest of my guns were bought in pawn shops, gun shows, from individuals, or were customized by me. There are some that I inherited from my grandfather and others. I have only sold or traded away four guns (Falcon 25 auto, a 32 Auto, a Chinese SKS, and a sporterized Jap 7.7). There are several of these guns that are not worth any money. I have told my boys as much also. The value they hold as heirlooms is greater than than the money they are worth. If it ever comes down to needing the money that selling them would generate I expect that my boys will have the wherewithall to get that money from somewhere else if that is all they need. These are guns that belonged to my Great Grandfather and have been kept through thick and thin by those who certainly could have sold them at any point. I have told them that the guns belong to them but they are not theirs to sell. At the point that they could be sold they should give them to their children.

Yes, they are things, but they are things of heritage, of family. They are not worth money.

There is poor and there is poverty. There is rich and there is wealth.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 14,646 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,076
Posts18,541,429
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.