Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
great post ML, very well said

and MC cuts loose on the Steelhead........bada bing! good one Mickey!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw

I don't think you know how "rich" or "poor" you really are until you've weathered a situation that no amount of money will fix or remedy.

Extremely well put!Thanks for the reality check.
BTDT
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was poor as a college student in the late 90's. My dinner table was a cardboard box, and my shoes had holes in them. I would budget $1 a day at work to buy one Coke in the morning and one in the afternoon. My only luxury was cigarettes. I ate a lot of baloney sandwiches. I never had more than $100 in the bank after rent day.

Now, my degree is finished and I am an officer in the military. No wife, no kids, no worries. But, I still live cheap! :-) Which allows to buy the things I want, when I want.

I can say that money doesn't buy happiness, but it does take the edge off of the bad times.

44henry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw

I don't think you know how "rich" or "poor" you really are until you've weathered a situation that no amount of money will fix or remedy.

Mr. MurphysLaw;
Another tip of the hat to you sir for that perspective.

If I might be allowed, I'd only add an "Amen"

Thanks again,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 04/22/09. Reason: misspelled own name.....

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having our house and land paid for since 2001 or so, has been great. I highly recommend no mortgage <g>.

My wife didn't work for over 10 years so that we'd have a parent in the house 24/7. I worked two jobs at that time; it was flat out brutal sometimes.

Real estate is an odd business, I can say that 3 years into it. Sometimes I'm RICH!! Other times... not so much <g>.

In the end, toys are just toys. The love of your family is something that counts.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Working all the overtime I do, I don't have time to notice that we're poor...lol.

But the wife is able to stay home with the kids and they still get excited when I get there, so I sure can't complain.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That Sir makes you a rich man.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HoundGirl
Norman is my African Grey parrot that some of the boyz have met. He talks....and is a pretty cool dude<grin>....hard not to love him.

Cool deal, HG. I was thinking you maybe had a snake, but the talking part didn't make sense. Birds are cool. I've got two parakeets that mimic turkey sounds, though they aren't as cool as an African Grey.

T
T
In my eyes, you sir have your priorities correct. It upsets me when I see people spending money on themselves and let the kids do without. As a former LEO I have been in houses and seen kids who were doing without toys and decent clothes. You'd be amazed though when you would see beer cans and cigarette packs all over the house and a bass boat in the driveway. Anyone who properly takes care of their kids has my respect.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
the kids and they still get excited when I get there, so I sure can't complain.

That sir speaks volumes. Good for you.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Acquisitions have come a bit easier since I became debt free and old (62). That being, I've been working on the collection since about 1962.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not rich by a long shot, but I am frugal, and search out bargains.
Staying out of debt helps, as does careful handling of my cash, investments and toyhs.

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lol I have often wondered the same thing here at times. I can only justify having one rifle for my situation. Wife, kid, having only my income to live on... and I only hunt deer and elk in one state.

There are some nice toys on here. Swaro binoculars, Schmidt & Bender scopes, full customs, top dollar rangefinders, multiple states hunted each year and guided even. I think it is great some have the opportunity for all that and I hope to one day have half that. So for now just going with one rifle, but want it to be my rifle and not just a rifle. 700 XCR, McM EDGE Classic, Talley LW, Kampfeld Ti fluted & cedrekoted bolt (later down the road), not sure on scope yet...

Still need good glass, good RF. Outside of that I'm set.

Is more fun getting the girl golf clubs or a family trip to Sea World. My wants for hunting keep getting pushed back for other things, but I certainly have no complaints.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My dad always said that regardless of whether you were poor or a millionaire, rich was double whatever you have.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
As others have said, no wife, no kids. I got divorced 20-ish years ago. Finished paying child support a year ago. Oddly enough sometimes I miss it, I used to matter.

Sometimes, our burdens are our blessings. You may not be so poor in the things that truly matter.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I don't see paying for college as the responsibility of the parents. It's expensive yes, and getting more so. But state colleges are affordable and there are some great ones to choose from. It's a matter of sacrifice though. How disciplined are your kids and how bad do they want it? If they can get a full scholarship great. But if they have to work, save and be frugal, it can be done. College is not for everyone either and not the only path to success. I've met some very smart and capable folks who never went to college.

I can remember when money was tight indeed. Hope your financial position improves ADK4Rick.

I agree. I went back as a nontraditional student and saw way to many that were there just because their dad would keep paying the bills if they didn't let their grades get too bad.
A couple of years ago I worked with a "student" that took out a $6000.00 student loan to buy another computer. That's right another he already had 5 OF THEM, the oldest was only 5 months old. Of course he didn't "think" that he would have to pay back the student loan. Hope he has to join the Army to get that one. Just imagining him only seeing a computer once a week as well as haveing to put up with a DI screaming in his spoiled brat face just makes me laugh.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Material things are fun but the true measure of wealth is in the heart.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's why I didn't have a problem being a gigolo for a few years.

I've always heard them referred to as 'Johns', not gigolos. wink

Never said I made much money doing it, that's why I have you building my rifles.............grin

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up never having any of the things my friends had and I always wanted.

During my senior year of HS I worked at the local Piggly Wiggly up the street with some other kids I went to school with. Once my mom paid for groceries with cash because she knew the check out girl knew me and didn't want to embarrass/make me ashamed by paying with food stamps.

I am now married to one of those checkout girls and have two beautiful daughters and we get the bills paid every month and even save a little here and there. I got an account with the credit union at work that I save "play money" into. It takes a while to get it built up but it's better than nothing. We are not poor, we just make less money than many others make...grin

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Seems I always have to sell something to buy something. I've been out of work since July (got fired just before my birthday). Anyway, have or have not. Happiness shouldn't be circumstance dependent.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,031 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,617
Posts18,532,974
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.