Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the posts, guys.

1minute, I'll sign that petition!

Sgt217, I grew up in central New Mexico. Big, desolate country is home for me. Not worried in the slightest that I somehow can't handle it there- but thanks fir your concern <g>.

I spoke with the biologist down there. Not sure WTF to do. They are at 30-something percent of their management goal for deer numbers. Might make more sense to just donate half my points to someone else (put in as a party with them) and hunt NE Oregon. I don't know.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Eremicus: Some good points there. Especially on bucks in out of the way obscure spots. An observation though that might seem a bit counter intuitive in regards to green feed..... Most of my recent deer seasons have been spent in Hells Canyon and on the Steens with family member tags. One can find a wealth of green feed in the canyon bottoms around creeks, springs, and seeps, but in the early fall, deer are mostly out feeding on what appears to be almost barren scabland slopes.

The complexion of those sites is mostly derived from soil and rock, but one also finds a great variety of small succulent forbs that deer and sheep seem to relish. The bottom line... Don't dismiss those expansive barren hill sides as being unproductive. The actual biting surface of a deer's incisors is about 1 inch wide, and they get through by being very picky and selective foragers. Those areas are worth looking at in the early AM when working big country.

1Minute
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
1minute,

Do you consider the Steens tag to still be a quality hunt?

I love Steens. Started going there in '87. It may be that my pref points are better spent there, than the Trout Ck's. Last time I was there, a couple years ago, the locals were pretty down on the hunting prospects, though.

Your thoughts appreciated.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The sad reality in Oregon right now is that mule deer numbers are down everyhere! If you base your expectations on what buck numbers were in the past you're gonna be disappointed no matter where you go.
The deer numbers have had a steady decline since Measure 18 passed in 94. Theres certainly other factors as well.
HOWEVER... there's still some great bucks out there, and the units that produced the big ones in the past are still gonna have a few.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh yeah. When the forbs come out, they go for those and forego everything else. That's true wherever mulies are found.
It takes some sort of moisture to bring out the forbs. So it always pays to know when it last rained or snowed. Moisture also disperses them. That's another reason why one must know the recent rain and snow fall history of the area.
I have found that you can't know the country unless you get out on foot in it. If it's got cattle grazing in it, that may or may not make a difference. As a rule, since cattle stay in the easy to get to places unless the feed conditions are really bad. The deer tend to stay in the rougher stuff simple because the feed is better.
I've also found that in really low density areas you are better off looking for fresh sign rather than the animals themselves.
The other thing is that low density areas often have a much higher percentage of older bucks in their herds than the more populated herds. For the guy that knows how to hunt them such areas are often excellent throphy areas simply because they have as many, or more, bucks in the 4 yr. old plus class. E

IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
KCBighorn,

And me with all these pref points... damn!

Well, we'll see what happens. I'm toying with the idea of a solo hunt into Steens. I've backpacked several times into both the east and west sides of that mountain. Can't say I've seen a lot of deer, but then I wasn't hunting, either.

I guess if I'm not SURE, I'll just sit on the points.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Our deer numbers are generally down, most likely due to a series of less than average precip years and their accompanying poor forage quality. Fall rains in particular give deer a nutritional and weight gain boost going into winter, and we've not seen much of that lately.

Those things given, one can still find some good bucks on the Steens due to the many isolated refuges. It takes time, mobility, more time, and patience to score those guys. Unless one is backpacking to a truly remote portion of the range, the first two days of the season are not conducive to spot and stalk type hunting. Too many folks stumble madly around because they only go for the first weekend. After the first Saturday and Sunday they are gone or physically shot, and one can get in the classic spot and stalk mode with few if any interruptions.

Get 2 to 3 miles away from the Loop road system, and one should do well. The west side of Kiger gets over run with 4-wheelers even though they should not be there, and I would not work that country at all for the first few days. There are large portions of the mountain north and south of the tourist loop that are seldom explored. The spectacular rugged canyons have a lot of appeal and do hold some fine bucks. The huge sagebrush flats and ridges to the south of the Steen peaks, don't offer much character, but they serve up a lot of seclusion to bucks and they are generally overlooked. One needs a primo vantage point at first visible light and some glass to hunt those spots. Trying to walk something up is exhausting, and Big Eddy doesn't pause and look back to offer a shot if one jumps him by accident.

Again, if one elects to burn his points there, it would be best to do the entire season. I would not give up the first couple of days either, simply because some one may still run a big boy up a canyon for yor. I should see our local bio in a day or two, and will see what he has to say about post season herd comp.

1Minute
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks 1minute, thanks a LOT.

These damn pref points become like an albatross around your neck after a while! I'll be glad when I've just used them for whatever hunt, and I can start thinking in terms of "lesser" hunts in the future.

Steens has the advantage, for me, of familiarity. I love that place. I've never been there in October, though.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've hunted the Trout Creek mountains in Oregon for sage grouse and there are some really nice deer in that area. A couple of the guys in my grouse hunting party stayed for the deer season and found a couple of large 4 pointers. One thing I prefer about Trout Creek is that I see alot less people there than in the Steens. The Steens are more popular for hiking and sightseeing.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There will be way fewer people in the Trout Creeks as there are only 50 tags. The deer are there, some real big ones too, they are just hard to find, they didn't get big by standing next to the road during October. In my experience, the deer are found in pockets there. I got lucky and found an area that always holds deer my first trip in. The weather can be a concern, I've been in there 4 times in September, been chased out 2 times by snow. The other issue is flat tires, take 2 spares. It's beautiful, remote country, good luck if you go in!

IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I know what you mean about tires. Last time we were at Steens, we broke a tire on the Land Cruiser on the sharp stuff they have all over (even on the roads) down there.

Are you bowhunting, to have been able to hunt it multiple times like that?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yeah, I hunt the traditional archery only area. It's been a couple years since the last time though. I always go back to the same area since I know it holds deer, so I haven't explored much of the unit. While I haven't had any issues with tires, knock on wood, I talked to a couple guys that learned the hard way and had to be rescued by one of the ranchers who happened to find them. It is a really amazing area and I'd love to go there more often, but it's a heck of long drive.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jeff O I hunted the TC mtns in '07. If you would like to hear what I found send me a PM. But SB hit on your real problem. You don't have the points to draw, and with your brother being a non-resident, you are many years away. By yourself you are 4 or 5 yrs away. If you want a great hunt keep the faith!

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
here is the 2009 oregon odds book http://ronwold.googlepages.com/

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I get tired of this stupid lottery draw "control hunt" BS here in Oregon...its all about revenue generation and overly justifying F & W existence....

I have scouted the Trout Creek Mountains, Steens Mountains, and been able to hunt White Horse once... didn't get to shoot anything, but I sure enjoyed being out in White Horse...

kicked up two huge bucks, but we were right on the line with Idaho, and they crossed into Idaho before I could get a good shot at them... ( within 200 yds!).. they just stood there in the open field looking at me.... them in Idaho, and me standing 200 yds away in Oregon.....how is that for having to adhere to hunting ethics?

even not getting a tag it is more than worth the trip to scout that area.... between there and scouting the Snake River Canyon when I drew a tag for up there..... have been two of my most enjoyable "wilderness" adventures...

I'd rather hunt White Horse and Skunk, than hunt locally with a solid guarantee of a blacktail.....the experience of walking those ridges 'hunting' is unbelievable.... you are truly in the back country wilds over there....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Seafire.

Steens is one of my favorite places, period. Just spectacular. I've been up two of the canyons on the east side, all the way to the base of the cliffs. There are juniper up there with trunks 10 feet across, kid you not! Just gorgeous. I can only imagine that hunting such terrain would be sublime.

I haven't been to the Trouts. I don't know why I thought 8 points would get me there; I think it WOULD have, last time I looked 4-5 years ago. Apparantly now it's 12 points. I'm not waiting that long, so Steens or Whitehorse will get my points I guess.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have traipsed through most of Owyhee County, Floated down the Owyhee river, met the wife at the Big Loop in Jordan Valley and spent some time in Jarbidge. I really enjoy the country and have seen a few big mulies among other game through the years.

That being said, unless you grew up or have spent a few years working that kind of country you probably do not realize the vastness of the sagebrush sea and the fact that you are entirely on your own. If you get stuck in the gumbo after even a light rain, pop a tire on the sharp desert rocks or have some other mechanical or medical issue, you are entirely on your own.

There are more people out there than ever before, but it is still an area where you may have to walk 40 miles to find another person. The Twin Falls and Owyhee county Sheriff's offices recover dead hunters, city folks and jackass ATV riders every year.

Bear it in mind.

And sporting an Obama sticker on a vehicle will likely result in you getting no help at all. wink

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. No worries, I've never liked ANY presidential candidate enough to soil my truck with a sticker... much less Obama <G>.

That is big country, I could tell by being on the edge of it even. I did grow up in big high desert (New Mexico) so it's not foriegn to me, but I hear what you are saying. And if the rocks there are anything like around Steens, they will flat out ruin your day (and your tires).

At this point these damn preference points are starting to feel like an albatross! The path forward is not cleat. Aargh.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
G
Wife just drew Trouts for 09'.I would take any good suggestions where to look for a good buck(feel free to pm). I've chukar hunted in the Trouts a bit and have seen some dandies, but late Nov. is not Oct.. Thank for any insight.-Robert

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We spent yesterday driving in the Trout Creeks Mtns., it is big country. I think it could be a once in a lifetime hunt. Saw some antelope, coyote and rattlesnakes. But no deer, not even a doe. But we were there mid-day. Also not a single person. I recommend the BLM sportsmans map from Burns for starters and a GPS. Stop for a burger and shake in Fields on the way in. We had no truck problems, but when there is a next time I will come ready for war! Mosquitos were fierce, they say they will be gone next month. We did see about a 28-30" 4 pt. buck on Malhuer Refuge Tues. evening.

Life NRA Member

Life SCI Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.