scott_r Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Ive got a chance to really stock up on primers and have 2 choices

CCI 400 primers
Fed 205 primers

I would prefer match primers but I'll take what I can get cause the world is runnin out of primers. So what would you buy??

Cheers!!

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For accuracy, I like federal.

However, I've had a lot of trouble lately with Remington rifles with the small bolt face having sloppy firing pin holes leading to piercing primers as the cup flows back into the hole around the firing pin, then "cuts off" and vents the pressure back through the bolt body. I've nuked 3 Jewell HVR triggers and every one made me say bad words.

Soooo ... just based on that and my own random choices, if you're shooting a cylindrical powder like Varget or H4895, I'd probably go with the Federal, but with spherical powders (where all my trouble has occurred) I'd go with the CCIs which seem to have a thicker cup.

I've switched to Remington 7-1/2s for all my H335 reloading and haven't pierced a primer since. Still using WW and Fed 205Ms with Varget.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In CCI I think it's the 450 that has the thick cup.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I too would go with the CCI primers. I don't know if they are thicker or tougher than other standard primers but I've never had a problem with them. I recently had a Fed 205 pierce in a 223 shooting ball powder, that has never given a problem before. May have been a small defect in that primer but it does make one a little leary.The Rem 71/2 and CCI 450 have reputations of being tougher than other primers with the CCI mil spec primers supposedly the toughest of all. Finally to be honest I would probably buy all the primers I could even if I had to get some of both.

Last edited by quarterboredave; 04/22/09.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'll make it easy for you; buy some of each.

In my 204 Ruger, I've used CCI BR-4 (match primers) and Remington match primers. For me, the Remington primers give better accuracy so get them if you have the chance.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The standard CCI small rifle primers don't work well in my Contender in .204. They are just soft enough that they flow back just enough to make the gun difficult to open. This does not happen with BR4s or Federal small rifle primers.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Its a toss up, I have had excellent results with both..

skb2706,
Sounds like to me you need your firing pin bushed...It's not just the primer although your diagnoses is probably correct, the cause is because of the firing pin hole being a tad oversize..I am sure the guarentee will fix it or any good gunsmith can fix it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy all you can of both.....
I wouldn't turn down any SR primers at this time, if the price is decent.

Use the softer primer ( thinner cup ) for moderate loads in your .204 ( low - mid 3k ) and match primers for the max loads.

Here's some good primer info:
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Scott_r: My gawd man - what world do you live on?
I have NOT seen a small Rifle primer on a store shelf in many months now - and that includes store shelves in 5 western (U.S.) states!
I have been loading Federal 205M primers in all 5 (five) of my 204 Ruger calibered Varminters for 5 years+ now and have as yet to pierce a single primer!
I have complete confidence in them.
Again if you should choose not to buy the Federal 205M primers PLEASE give me the co-ordinates on where to get them!
Best of luck with your choice and your 204!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
CCI 400 are too thin for near max loads. I got pierced primers using them in my 204. I would recommend the Feds instead. 400 CCI is ok if you run mild loads, but who wants to shoot a slow 204?

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Buy all you can of both.....
I wouldn't turn down any SR primers at this time, if the price is decent.

Use the softer primer ( thinner cup ) for moderate loads in your .204 ( low - mid 3k ) and match primers for the max loads.

Here's some good primer info:
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

yeah right now, I didn't know many folks had the luxury to be picky...

I have plenty of small rifle primers but have been using small pistol primers in my 223 loads, just to conserve the small rifle primers, in case this Obama induced primer shortages is going to last longer than we all thought...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
scott_r Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My dealer here in Saskatchewan has over 30 000 small rifle primers and the same in Large rifle magnum primers but zero Large Rifle (non magnum)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 35 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.