-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hey doug, you sell alot of optics, what is your favorite pair of binocs for birding hunting astronomy etc.
I am slowly but surely working the cash up to an alpha level, and I am curious at everyones favorite binoc views.
I will be eventually purchasing a pair of roofs, so far I have about 700.00 and I am still working on it. I want to get that one pair that I won't want to trade or move up from.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When you hit $700 and keep saving upwards, it is about impossible anymore to get a bad binocular, unless you happen upon a particular individual lemon.

At that level, pay less attention to who makes it and more attention to how it fits, how it feels, and how the image "looks to you" when you are using it. I think you also need to decide whether you want 8x or 10x. There are too many individual differences in people and optics to say for sure which is best. Remember that any binocular you get, regardless of how much it cost you or who made it, is a set of compromises. So if you are going to spend that level of money, you really need to look through as many as you can. Just because your buddy has a Swarovski doesn't necessarily mean you would not like a Leica or whatever better. The optics at that level are able to extract all of the detail a normal eye can see. So when you get one that seems to suit you, go for it.

Buying from Doug's demo list is never a bad idea. You have a good dealer, and if the time comes you want to sell what you got, since you put less into it, you get more of a return in the trade up process.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Steve hit alot of great points. I would most certainly follow his advice.

Optic choices are extremely individualistic. What satisfies one individual may or may not satisfy another. There are dozens of bins I could recommend at or below that price point. However, there is the law of diminishing returns. At a particular price point you end up starting to pay alot more for very small, incremental increases in optical performance, durability and/or customer service/warranty. Only you can really decide if any given price increase is worth the difference in these categories.

My favorite pair of bins, without cost as an issue, is the Zeiss FL (7x42 in particular). They are the brightest and sharpest bins I have ever owned. They also have an incredibly wide field of view which I also tend to prefer. The bad news? Well, Zeiss just had a price increase and models you pay $1600 for just a few months ago now cost upwards of $2000.

Second favorite is a tie between the Meopta Meostar and the Zen Ray ED. Both have their strongpoints compared to each other and either is sure to please optically and mechanically. The Meopta is built like a tank but the Zen is siginficantly less expensive.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Frank
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
look at this site for some bird watchers opinions/tests/evals, although it is pretty quiet for last couple of years as far as testing new products

http://betterviewdesired.com/

Last edited by duckear; 04/27/09.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
BVD is essentially moribund as Steve Ingraham now works for Zeiss

birdforum.net optics forum is fully of birding optics geeks (like Steve, Frank and myself) and a lot of hints, tips and misinformation wink

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KevinPurcell
BVD is essentially moribund as Steve Ingraham now works for Zeiss

birdforum.net optics forum is full of birding optics geeks (like Steve, Frank and myself) and a lot of hints, tips and misinformation wink

Damn, I really wonder if I should admit to doing any birding while over here. shocked OK, I do, but nowadays I am more of a hunter. I sort of step quiet about hunting there, although everybody there knows I hunt.

Actually it is to the point, my rifle accumulating days have sort of given way to the binocular collection.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First of all...Steve & Frank, if you're ever interested please come see me for a job as you both speak words of wisdom.

So, to answer your question with a question that puts the what's best question into perspective....
There are identical triplets...A Blonde, A Brunette and a Red Head....Who's the better looking one? I am sure there is no correct answer but everyone has their own opinion.
With that said, my favorite glass is a Leica Ultravid 8x32. It is brighter than it technically should be..Small and light so I will always carry it...The view is incredible & it feels great in my hands. Am I right??? I really do not know if I am right for anyone other than me, then again I choose the Brunette smirk

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Thank you for the offer Doug. I may take you up on it when the current position stresses me out....completely. wink

On the other hand, if you ever plan on expanding into PA.....

:-)

Frank
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer a larger exit pupil but I'm 33 so my eyes still dilate. I like at least 5mm but 6 or 7 is great. I have slc new 7x42's. If I was buying again, I would consider meopta binos as well as nikon's on closeout. That being said, I'm not getting rid of my swaros

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like Frank, I also say thanks for the offer Doug. Now if you can get ahold of a Star Trek Transporter to handle the 3,000 mile commute, we might be able to discuss this. smile

Steve

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,981
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.