Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
I thought the tip on the TTSX was supposed to cure the occasional failure to expand?

Supposed to is the key word here, but it didn't...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was not the idea behind the tip. Tips purpose was only to improve the B.C. and sell to people who thought a good bullet had to have them. Expansion had not been a problem before and, in all practicality, is not now. I have been using them in various itinerations in calibers as small as 6mm and 25 with no expanision issues for a very long time before the tips came along. Lets see how these bullets do on the next few little piggies. I will predict here good to great results.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most likely they will do well for him on the next few piggies. He's gotten his bad one out of the way.

As I've mentioned b4 I know of 2 TSX's and one Tipped TSX that didn't open last fall on game.

Bottom line, when they work they do work well and when they don't you may well be in for a rodeo...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know how I and my friends and my hunting clients have been fortunate enough to not have one screw up on us so far over a 20 year period and animals in the hundreds....

I will say again, lets see how the remaining bullets do. For the OP's sake and that of the quarry lets hope for the best.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Partition!---just sayin.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am thinking that Partitions are illegal in the area being hunted since they contain lead same with Accubonds etc. POster stated he is in Taxifornia where many areas are now lead free projectiles only. But then, I have been using X's over Partitions for a long time anyway.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Must not have caught the "Lead Free Zone" comment. Figured he used them before so why not.

I'm sure he'll have better luck with the next one. I am actually rooting for Barnes to finally settle on a design. Seems they keep getting better, maybe just some bugs to still work out with certain wts & calibers.

I am going to try some TTSX's in the 7 wizzum next year just to see what all the fuss is about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you will like the 120gr .284 TTSX in 7WSM really well. I know for a fact that they will open up nicely and yet blow through the chest of a big bull Elk easily. BTDT.

I really think the bugs were largely worked out before and have seen some of the bullet expansion testing Barnes does but the design is getting a bit better with the grooves and the tip. Since the grooved or TSX versions have come out I have not had to moly all of my bullets to keep copper fouling down like I used to do with the original X. The fact that I was running these bullets in various calibers at 3400-3800fps in various rifles MIGHT have had something to do with my copper fouling difficulties of the past.... smile The grooved bullets also now seem to group really well in about any rifle I have tried them in. Even older rifles with old technology barrels.

Last edited by safariman; 05/01/09.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dober I know you have lots of experience with the Barnes as do I and I have yet to find one for testing. I have shot hogs deer elk yotes and several different animals with the barnes x bullets and triple shocks. I really don't know if any failed to open as all animals were dead and complete pass throughs are the norm. I shoot the shoulders on most animals I shoot if I am not pelt hunting and the shoulder shot seems for me to drop animals in their tracks. I fail to see how a good shot even a heart shot will keep and animal in the remote vicinity. A 2 or 3mile track job is a sign for me anyway of a gut shot or just plain BAD shot. I really wish that I would find one of my Triple shocks someday so I can see if they are expanding but for now the dead critters don't seem to mind. HAPPY HUNTING

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
you shoot a hog behind the shoulder its going in the gut.heart and lungs are farther up behind the shoulder/front leg

Last edited by stxhunter; 05/02/09.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They do carry thier vitals a little farther forward.... similarly Elk and most African critters. Many people shoot like they would on a deer i.e. BEHIND the shoulder and on hogs, African plains game etc. this means a bit of tracking. On a broadside shot the verticle crosshair sould line up on the foreleg, not behind it. Similarly, 1/3 the way up from the brisket is a much better bet than 1/2 the way up like many of us were taught.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, SEAN aka VAnimrod, we already made the 6 pages you predicted.... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah and according to my puter there's 3 pages and 51 posts and you've got 10 of them so you're doing a mighty fine job of working to 6 pages... grin

A person would almost get the opinion that you like the Barnes line.....grins

Kind of thinking it's about time for another SMK thread sick

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 05/02/09.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I do like my Barnes bullets. 10 posts, eh? Well, lets go for 10 pages then!

You post something about SMK's and I will put up a .270 vs. 30/06, which is better? post.... smile

As we sit theorizing, hopefully our OP is out pluggin piggies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figure tween a SMK thread and a 06 vs 270 thread we'll be covered for a long time...grin

Dober

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
One needs an incredibly tough bullet to stop a South Texas piggy.

.25-06 shooting the 87gr Hornady to the skull seemed to work well on them.

[Linked Image]

For those that like shoulder shots you need an even tougher bullet for them.

22-250 shooting the Hornady 60grSP.

The whole in the head is from my ol' man's .44. It was still doing the funky chicken when he walked up to it. He does stuff like that.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Well gentlemen, the first time I used a 175 Hornady at 7X57 velocity it didn't even penetrate the shoulder blade of a 160 pound blacktail.

Now, that is very strange. They continue to work perfectly in two 7X57s that I have experience with..........on bull moose that weigh eight times what that blacktail weighed! smile

Ted

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
shot these two with the same 200gr AB. hit the sow in the neck then hit the piglet [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
STX... gruesome, dude... simply GRUSOME! smile I like 'em!

Reminds me of some of the ground squirrel vs 22-250AI photos I have.

Two with one shot, doesn't happen often I am guessing. Good shooting there, for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
110 Grain Accubond from a Bob to the head seemed to work.

[Linked Image]

120 Gr TSX out of 7mm-08 in the shoulder worked equally well.
[Linked Image]

Both DRT. The TSX didn't pass through but was found in the opposite shoulder and weighed 119.9 grains. I like them fine.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,700
Posts18,494,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.