-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Left in the hands of folks like you, we would have suffered some real nasty attacks. Lotsa folks killed. Personally I'm real glad folks like you didn't run this war in the early days at least. I don't care if they were subjected to strappado. Attacks were prevented.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Just look at how many members here think that government torture is just fine. You would normally expect that gun owners and hunters would be highly attuned to the risks associated with increasing the level of arbitrary power the central government usurps. As I recall it, that's the way it was ten years ago and earlier.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Left in the hands of folks like you, we would have suffered some real nasty attacks. Lotsa folks killed. Personally I'm real glad folks like you didn't run this war in the early days at least. I don't care if they were subjected to strappado. Attacks were prevented.
Actually, the problem before 9/11 wasn't a lack of intel or adequate investigation. The FBI was right on top of these investigations. The problem was that their upper ranks were telling agents to back off their investigations of suspicious Muslim activity. That was the only thing that needed changing. Well that, and getting a handle on the border and our immigration policy, combined with keeping an extra careful watch on Muslims in the United States, particularly at airports. There was no need to institute a Department of Homeland Security. Nor was there a need for a so called Patriot Act. These were merely two examples of central government taking advantage of an opportunity to increase its power and thereby contract the liberty of every American.

"As government expands, liberty contracts." - President Ronald Reagan

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It is fundamental to our system of laws in the United States that torturing prisoners is criminal. No one was blind-sided by the unexpected discovery of this fact. Just as Americans are presumed to know that murder is illegal, they are presumed to know that torturing prisoners is illegal.

You have have framed the conceptual error in this matter clearly. Although we all know murder is illegal, we also all know that not all killing is murder and illegal. So, presuming that all killing is murder leads you to a mistaken conclusion.

The analogy in the case of the harsh interrogation of terrorists (by definition illegal non-combatants) captured on the field of battle is assuming that they have any rights - they don't and are not protected by any international conventions and certainly not by the US Constitution. It is also erroneous to assume that they have been tortured - no evidence of lasting physical or psychological harm - to wit, many of those released returned to their abominable profession, namely terrorism vs. Americans.

As Steve already pointed out, when the National Defense Authority determines that a specific process is legal to eradicate terrorism, there are no countervening international norms that would supercede it. We seem to forget that the overarching responsibility of a national government is to protect the rights of the nation and that no international or supernational (e.g., UN) authority supercedes this obligation.

We wouldn't be having this hypothetical, self-righteous discussion if our fathers and grandfathers hadn't acted in the best interest of our Nation in WWI & II. We'd all be good little Nazis really torturing away without a care. Have we lost our national identity so easily and so quickly?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
TRH

Would you waterboard if it would save the life of someone you love?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I guess you would have to label the [bleep] to be released on US soil as "Replacement Citizens" for the ones Massacred on 9/11.

What has happened to my country.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
Reading an eloquently written scathing is one of life's joys.

Holder and Bam-Bam are probably sitting down and saying something brilliant like "Oh Yeah"!

...........or............You know he's right......but our plan will lead for the need....the need for a "Bigger fatter,rights grabbing, gun removing Government ! ..."Oh Yeah"!

Hunting the "Roar",
Mark Luce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting Hawkeye. The FBI has never been on top of ANYTHING I have ever seen and I had plenty of interaction with them on the job. Consider how incompetent they are when they have someone wired,shadowed ,surveilled and damn near tucked in at night. The multiple attempts to successfully prosecute the Gottis comes to mind. They can hardly hit a stationary target.Hell, they couldn't even figure out what the "Beltway Sniper(s) was until the dumbasses literally caught themselves. They don't make a move until they "see" enough to make a prosecution. Anti-terror is pro-active,not reactive and the Freddies miss the boat pretty badly on that count.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
TRH

This question has been asked and answered by me something like a dozen times already. Do you ever read any of my posts?

Of course I would!

If my dog were missing and someone I trusted told me that you took him so your champion pit fighter could have a sparring partner in preparation for an upcoming match I'd probably break each of your bones in turn, asking each time where my dog was. But in a nation of laws, you have the right to be protected from me in my fit of rage, because you are presumed innocent before the law until after you've been tried and convicted.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Reading them is one thing. Sorting through the nonsensical blather, is another.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Steve,
Thanks for posting the letter. He's dead on. Anyone from the previous administration who cooperates with this one is asking to be scapegoated.

Hawk,
Man, waterboarding ain't torture. We agree on a lot of things, but take it from someone who's experienced it-it ain't torture, especially when applied to non uniformed terrorists who are not protected under any rule of law, since they operate outside of it. The "rights of man" argument won't hold water (no pun) as these people are not innocents snatched from their beds and interrogated for no reason. Each of them has given just cause for their detention and interrogation.

If the Raisuli and his minions want to let all of the tango's go and release them into the states, that's their prerogative, but going back and trying people for things done which were clearly within the law, and every effort was made to ensure such activities were so, is wrong. As Steve has pointed out, that's banana republic behavior-more evidence that we're moving in that direction under the new administration BTW.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mike762
Hawk,
Man, waterboarding ain't torture. We agree on a lot of things, but take it from someone who's experienced it-it ain't torture,
You've never been subjected to waterboarding as torture. That was at best a simulation of torture, since it was voluntary and carried out by your own compatriots.
especially when applied to non uniformed terrorists who are not protected under any rule of law, since they operate outside of it.
Our government is not capable legally of acting outside the rule of law. Whenever it does so, it acts tyrannically and criminally. And, before you say it, warfare is not outside the law any more than I am outside the law when I shoot it out with home invasion robbers.
The "rights of man" argument won't hold water (no pun) as these people are not innocents snatched from their beds and interrogated for no reason. Each of them has given just cause for their detention and interrogation.
There is no just cause for torture under our system. Can you think of a scenario where I may lawfully water torture you for information? Government only has authority to do things that you and I have loaned them the authority to do from the storage house of our personal sovereign powers. If that sovereign power doesn't exist in us as individuals, we cannot lend it to our government.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We have a basic disagreement about what constitutes torture. What I experienced, whether you choose to recognize it as such or not, is virtually the same techniques used on 3 detainees. You deem it torture, I do not, nor do respected legal minds in and out of the previous administration. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one, as you will never convince me otherwise, and I will never convince you.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mike762
We have a basic disagreement about what constitutes torture. What I experienced, whether you choose to recognize it as such or not, is virtually the same techniques used on 3 detainees. You deem it torture, I do not, nor do respected legal minds in and out of the previous administration. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one, as you will never convince me otherwise, and I will never convince you.
If it is not torture, then the English language has faltered and been replaced by something altogether new.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If you have trouble understanding the meaning of severe physical pain or suffering, that's your dilemma,sport. Changing definitions to suit a miserably failing argument is your problem.

Lawyers and judges deal with the interpretation of words and their meanings everyday. Someday, maybe, you'll grasp that simple fact.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mr. McCarthy has the heading ALL WRONG. There is nothing honorable about Eric Holder. He is another pawn of the liberal left just like his buddy Barak. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
TRH

This question has been asked and answered by me something like a dozen times already. Do you ever read any of my posts?

Of course I would!

If my dog were missing and someone I trusted told me that you took him so your champion pit fighter could have a sparring partner in preparation for an upcoming match I'd probably break each of your bones in turn, asking each time where my dog was. But in a nation of laws, you have the right to be protected from me in my fit of rage, because you are presumed innocent before the law until after you've been tried and convicted.

Okay. Second question. In that situation would you not waterboard because it is (according to you) illegal?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Okay. Second question. In that situation would you not waterboard because it is (according to you) illegal?
I already said I would torture someone, given adequate motive.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If the government won't protect the citizens of the United States because of the necessity of using "illegal operations", we better have some new laws defining "illegal" to suit the citizens instead of the terrorists.

Wayne

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I already said I would torture someone, given adequate motive.

Well then, assuming you are a moral person, you should recognize that there is a higher law that requires you to act to save someone.

There is a difference between "torturing" for a confession and "torturing" to save thousands pf people, especially when it's arguably not torture. If you don't see that, you are lost in your own argument.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 18,620 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,962
Posts18,539,709
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.