Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rifle Patriots.

Let'em try to get their panties in a wad over that.

GR

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the term "rifle looney" and it describes me and several of my friends. It kind of excuses my sins when I was younger and sold a perfectly good rifle for less then I paid for it so I could buy a rifle that I was not happy with after I got it.

Then for the rest of my life I am sorry I sold it and still mourn the absence of the rifle. Like the special order Dakota .358 Winchester I picked up for $600.00 and sold back for the same amount to the friend because he asked for it back. At least I broke even on that deal. I have more I could mention but it is to painful.

Only a "rifle looney" would do that. Woe is me.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2004 sounds a lot like 2022. Special needs type of individuals getting all red-assed over a word that has no negative connotation within the firearms community.

Those who were born and nurtured into a constant state of perpetual butt-hurt. I say ‘Looney’ won’t hurt you.

Now go buttfûck a cat and leave us, our words, and firearms alone.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cats don’t need to be tortured like that, otherwise I very much agree with the Beaver.

Used to have a .38-55 that shot a .40 caliber bullet. I’m loony enough to wonder if a .22 GTC case could launch a .45 round ball. Whatchu think?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Rifle Crank," Someone will be offended by it, but it's better than "loony."

Because when they get offended you can just say "if you don't like it you can kiss my crank."

Kiss my loony would just sound too gay.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like old threads, thank for finding it, bringing it back to life!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dont like Rifle Loony.

It's just too limiting,
There is a whole world of handguns out there!

And even shotguns, I guess.
(Only have about 8 of those. But one has the forcing cone lengthened,
D&T with an optic and an expensive choke! Bad signs!😉)

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sheriff Dillon, try this: "Shooting Loony"

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm not into it enough to get the card, but who gives a rip what some wadded-panty-chewing woke thing thinks?

looney works for me- I can tell who you are..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If there was a card available I'd have one and carry it proudly. I haven't even picked up my latest custom rifle (this week I hope) and am thinking of the next one

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
It’s perfect - I wear the hats I got from you proudly - leave it alone and anyone who is “offended” by it really isn’t one anyway and/or has no sense of humor!!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 11/07/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think loony is a pretty good description for many of us.

I had a LH model 700 BDL .270 stolen out of my truck 30 or so years ago and although I've had plenty of other rifles to use I really wanted another Remmy like the one I had.

A couple of weeks ago I found it's twin (almost) on GB and paid damn near 3 times as much as I gave for the first one and I'm stupidly happy to have it, high price or not. I found an original butt plate on ebay to replace the poorly ground Pachmayr pad that's on it now and bring it back to original.

It's absolutely loony to pay the amount I did for a 1967 model 700 but I couldn't be happier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The minute we care about what the leftwing "progressive" LOONS (and that term is used here with a very strict definition we all understand) we lose. Never let them control the language. That said, I like Loony" spelled with and E...it just looks better to my eye.

As to O'Connor's ownership of the aficionado, meh. I remember there was a court case some years ago where someone thought their work had been improperly mimicked, and I think it was about a song but really don't recall. I DO recall what the judge said when finding for the defendant, though, because I thought it was classic: "the plantiff...does not own iambic pentameter." I suggest that O'Connor did not own the English language.

Whoever cannot handle "rifle loony" should go suck an egg. Even without the E.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Considering that the term is in my screen name, I think I'll keep it. Please keep writing with your OWN style, in this world, you're bound to offend someone!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dear Campfire:

I'd like to ask you guys a question. Recently it has come to RIFLE magazine's attention that some readers are offended by my use of the term "rifle loony," because it means they're crazy--and the anti-gunners around the world might notice.

In a recent, published letter I tried to explain that I use the term "loony" not as short for lunatic, but affectionately and with tongue in cheek, as term for all of us excessively rifled folks.

Some people still didn't buy this. One suggested I follow the lead of the car mags and call us rifle "enthusiasts" or "devotees." The first sounds a little wimpy to me, and the second, unfortunately, has French roots, which also might offend many people these days.

Now, I am a gentle soul, and don't want to offend anybody (at least anybody who doesn't deserve it). Eileen and I paged through both the BIG Webster's and the thesaurus the other evening, and came up with a list of alternatives. Please let me know if any strike your fancy, or if loony suits you to a T:

addict
adherent
adorer
aficionado (a good word but Jack O'Connor has prior rights)
booster
connoisseur (French too)
crank
fanatic (where we also got the word "fan")
fancier
frequenter
glutton
habitue (unfortunately another Frenchie)
idolator
partisan
reverer
sucker
venerator
votary ("a person who is devoted to some object or pursuit")
worshipper
zealot (this actually means a person with a lot of zeal)

"Rifle votary" might hit the nail on the head, meaningwise, but just doesn't have any sort of ring to it.

We also came up with a couple for gun writers. "Boffin" is a scientist or technical expert. I have some science in my educational background, but have never considered myself a technical expert, so much prefer "rhapsodist," somebody who writes with "an ecstatic expression of feeling or enthusiasm."
That's what I want to be when I grow up, a rifle rhapsodist.

Thanks,
JB
Looney works just fine for me. Guess I better order a couple more hats before the cancel culture here effects a change. Just had one blow off my head and end up in the delta and to much chop in the main channel to find it. Damn!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by GSPfan
If there was a card available I'd have one and carry it proudly. I haven't even picked up my latest custom rifle (this week I hope) and am thinking of the next one

Actually, Eileen made up cards on her computer a few months ago, for us and a few friends--which is why Shrapnel has one as his signature line. Here are samples of the "generic" and personal versions.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yep rifle loony is fine, maybe put rifle on the front & loony down each side in larger print!!!!!!! ,or just make the print larger on the front!!!!! Some older liberals don't see to well. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣👍🏻

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If we just had a sticker for the truck window, we'd be in business.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
While it's interesting (and somewhat gratifying) that this thread has rumbled along for quite a while now, apparently quite a few posters didn't notice that it originated in 2004.

After 18 years I am not terribly worried about what the non-shooting world thinks about "rifle loony", or even the shooting world. Have seen and heard the term used considerably since then, so apparently it's pretty well accepted among us....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.