-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yup, hope they don't decide to cull my favorite round, it's only 121 yrs old and last year on it's 120 the birthday,I used it to bag my first elk with an appx 400 yd lung shot on a young cow.Long live the 8mm mauser!

Of couse if "they" do decide to cull my favorite,I'll never notice.I load mine to near 30/06 levels,and I believe The domestic ammo producers can't get it right anyways!
Hank

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
HR IC

Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HunterJim
CB needs to take a basic product development class and see why the grocery store shelves are stocked with flocks of merchandise just slightly different from the stuff just down the shelf. More choices, more sales.

To reduce it to absurdity we would only be able to buy an '06, a 12 ga and a .38 Special revolver.

jim

'06 OK
12 ga OK
but .38 Special revolver?

Better rounds for the task, no?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by HunterJim
CB needs to take a basic product development class and see why the grocery store shelves are stocked with flocks of merchandise just slightly different from the stuff just down the shelf. More choices, more sales.

To reduce it to absurdity we would only be able to buy an '06, a 12 ga and a .38 Special revolver.

jim

'06 OK
12 ga OK
but .38 Special revolver?

Better rounds for the task, no?

I think he meant that to be absurd (or at least severely limiting).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Why cull only cartridges Mister Boddington, we can go farther and cull some firearms too...Lever action, semi auto and why not, single shot. Can cull some manufacturers too. US President Barak Obama and Miss Clinton could like the idea...May be you stand too much time filming in Africa, too much sun is not so good.
In my poor small country, France, we had a congress man who had project of a law that was saying: two firearms are enought for hunters (and it's stricly right) but we also need only one TV or one car and so on. Thank God his law did'nt pass. But Boddington ideas can give some others, more dangerous, to your congress men!

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
TNriflemann; I'm with you! I don't own a 6MM, but I know guys that do.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mr Boddington must be starved for writing material.

Not likely I really give a shxt about what some putz thinks should be 'my list' of choices.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree that Mr Boddington seems to be running out of something write about. You can bet that he doesn't have a rifle in one of those cartridge handed down by his grandfather or he wouldn't so quick to cull. Ammo is just brass, lead, and powder to the manufactures. I wonder if he thinks that Europe, Africa, and South America should cull the 7x57. Maybe 1/2 of the rifles on those continents. He probably wants to cull the Sav 99 and the Win 94, also. Oops, it's too late for those.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Next month he will probably explain the "need " for wildcat cartridges. grin
whelennut
I think maybe there are too many gun writers!

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"SETTING THE RULES
The first rule is: Don't write me about this story. Write the editor instead, because it was his idea. Seriously, although my friend Jerry Lee asked me to do this piece, I've been thinking about it for a long time, because I honestly believe we have way too many factory cartridges. With new ones coming along all the time, something has to give.

I don't expect everyone to like this story. We all have our favorite cartridges, and if I happen to attack one of your pets you're going to be mad at me. That's okay. It's not really a subject where total objectivity is possible, on either your side or mine."

-----------------

Guys, guys, guys.....
CB prefaced the article, not sure why we're getting our undies in a knot over this......No one here EVER has an opinion on anything - self included.... wink grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you brought that up,Skane.
Craig seems like a good guy to me.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Actually, I enjoyed the article, as I have all of Craig's work. A lot of thought obviously went into it, Although I don't agree with him on many points, he's right about many. However, the main reason to keep everything and add more is because we're all nuts (or looney) about rifles and cartridges. As witness one of Craig's favorites, a left-handed custom bolt action 8mm RemMag with a 28" barrel he's carried sheep hunting and many other places as well. The man's a certifiable rifle looney, too.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
P
to all,

let's "cull the herd" on bureaucrats & politiciians & KEEP the calibers.=========> chuckle.

especially .401 wsl.

yours, PrestigeGunleather

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Boddington is a deuche... and Sundra wrote that same article like 7-8 years ago... nice to see an original idea come through a gun rag.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Not to be redundant--but, well, yeah, I will be.

His editor assigned the article. Craig didn't think up the subject--which will be written up over and over in gun magazines as long as gun magazines exist. And it will always be a valid article, because so many new cartridges are introduced, over and over, like "new" recipes at IHOP.

And look what happened! A bunch of guys got on the Internet and bitched about it--and I'd bet 75% haven't read the article, even though a link was posted. This means that interest was stirred, so gotcha.

His only real mistake was the one many shooters and gun writers make: The .257 Roberts is a fine "short action" cartridge, and has been since its introduction, despite a lot of rifle loonies who believe otherwise.

Whether that means the Bob should survive is another question.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't see why any cartridge needs to go.

In my opinion, its the damn insanity around the SP NBT BTT TSX ACCUPART CL BC XTP TPO Reduced Recoil, High Velocity loads in 5 different weights per chambering that has gotten out of hand. In one search I found Able's has 50 different rounds for the .270 Win and Midway has 60.

More cartridges. Less bullshyte.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've no need to read the article. I've already culled the herd. Hell, I never had a "herd." I figure a 30-06 will do it all. But then I've never subscribed to the golfer-approach to shooting, ie., a correct club for every situation... damn near Un-American I know grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now if we could just get you to hold onto a rifle for more than one season.....(grin)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pre-64 in transit (grin).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ailein: That's an interesting perspective but the truth is that there's an enormous amount of overlap amongst cartridges.None of them are any better than the bullets they shoot. I can make the 30/06 a chump-change big game cartridge tommorrow,utterly worthless,and a 7/08 THE gunto reach for,just by changing up the bullets that I feed them.

So the discussion on the bullets is worth FAR more than the cartridges,which are nothing but brass bottles to hold propellant.....bullets do the REAL work, not the cartridges... wink

In fact, of all the components required to make a rifle go "bang", the one we can get along without...is the cartridge.The technology is already there...we call it muzzleloading.......but it is deliberatley kept dumbed down.

We need propellant;we need an instrument to contain and ignite the propellant and direct the bullet;this is called a "rifle".We do not "need" a cartridge,and we know the technology already exists for a "caseless" cartridge,that can be loaded from the breach instead of the muzzle,in the form of a solid propellant, holding a bullet,and can be ignited.Things like the 270 and 30/06 will cease to exist.....

Even today,Dick cassul is making cartrdiges with steel heads that will take more pressure than our conventional brass bottles; but even that technology could be behind the times...

With a caseless cartridge there will be no more "weak link" in the form of brass cases that can only stand so much pressure,which in theory means higher velocity because the pressure will be contained by the rifle,not the cartridge,which can only take so much pressure and will cease to exist,and is the weak link in the chain.....and still,once again, the bullet will do the real work....this is why Boddington is not off base.Someday,we will not need ANY cartridges.

Then,what will we talk about? grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/19/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Brad
Pre-64 in transit (grin).

Tell us more!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

316 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 33 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,162
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.