Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Weatherby radiused shoulder in effect acts very much like the 40-degree shoulder of so-called Ackley Improved cartridges. Unless the handloader makes the mistake of pushing the shoulder back during resizing, the Weatherby rounds usually show very fine accuracy and case life.

The big problem for a long time with the Weatherby rounds was the so-called "free-bore," which is nothing more than an extra-long throat. But even free-bored chambers shoot very well if the throat is just over bullet diameter. I own a couple of Weatherby Vanguards in .257 and .300 Weatherby that with the right load group substabtially better than most factory rifles out to at least 500 yards, as far as I've ever put them on paper.

Oh, and the cases are belted.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atkinson
Belt bashing goes back a long ways. It never held water then and doesn't today..

There is no defineable difference in a belted or non belted case except in the mind of some folks who really should consider a full time job, and those "experts" that are so et up with tech that they jump on every tiny issue that comes their way..

As to case life between he two, that can be the case but only if the reloader is lacking in his knowledge of reloading..If one sizes belted cases to a crush fit in his chamber, like he does a non belted case then there is absolutly on difference in case life other than the usual differences of hot loads, high pressue calibers and those other varibles that make a difference in case life of both belted and non belted...

The bottom line is brass is brass and the addition of a belt means nothing.

I just wish I would have said this�.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The belted case was designed for a specific function and that is hunting dangerous game, by headspacing on the belt it allows a good deal of taper on the case, thus "extraction" is always a function as long as there is a thread of brass holding a seperated brass to gether, and my personal experience bares this out....Not so with non belted cases it seems.

IMO it is erronous to belive the belted case functions better(chambering a case) than the non belted cases..however that has become an accepted fact by many because on the surface it makes since a tapered case feeds slicker than one that is not. I would be hard pressed to make this claim as most properly set up rifles feed both equally well as far as I can tell.

If one resizes a belted case to a crush fit or close to a crush fit, the same as one would a non belted case then case life is about the same. This function will stop head seperations until brass has fatigued in both types of cases.

As to "accuracy", I will suggest that for "hunting purposes" one is as good as the other, and I will also say the belted case has been around for a long long time and has proved itself in the hunting fields of the world as much as the great 30-06 has proven itself in the hunting world.

The discussions of belted vs. non belted has about as much realivance to me as the 270 vs. the 30-06 has, had, or will ever have...

I love my 300 H&H, my 416 Rem, my 338 Win. and my 375 H&H, all belted, but I also think the new Ruger non belted case in 338, 300, 375 and 416 Ruger happen to be one of the best designed cases to come along in decades, and somewhere in this sceanario I have to squeeeeze in my cute little 9.3x62, I couldn't leave her out of my goodies list...:)

I see plenty of room for both, and both will always be with us at least in my lifetime they will. I would not have wanted to be without both cases.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Fired vs Unfired was for shoulder datum line to base of case (where you read the caliber) measurements.
dan

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.