Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by STA
just looked and the BC .405 on the 225TSX.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=166406

never the less its fun to play with the big 35's smile

That was the initial hype BC value that all the X/TSX's had.

The 270 gr 375 cal TSX had a BC of .503......Yaeh right!

Now it has been recalibrated or at least assigned a BC of .326. Geez were they ever off!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
exbio-
As of right now, I am sota leaning towards something more 'unique', but that may change by tomorrow. wink The practical side of my brain can see the benefit of having a nearly always available chambering. But, I don't shoot factory ammo anyway and haven't lost or forgot my ammo yet... So, maybe the correct Loony thing to do would be to build something fun and then find a good factory rifle in a common chambering that can work back up! Yeah, that's it 3 guns instead of two!!! I'll let you know what I end up doing, but $$ will be making it a ways in the future. Besides, thinking/planning these types of things is nearly as much fun as doing it!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Barnes now lists the BC of the .338, 225 gr. TSX as .386. They also list the BC of the 270 gr., .375 as .326. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now how about that Nosler Accubond bullet? Nosler has it's B.C. listed at .550 for the 225 grain bullet, just food for though elk hunters.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exbiologist,

Please tell me about the stock on your Norma, as well as the paint she's wearing ...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tonk, the .358 225 gr Accubond is listed at .421, the .338 225 is the .550 BC you mention, and thats less than the .250 gr Partition.

Condition Yellow,
It's called the Alaska Wilderness Hunter II by Bell and Carlson. It weighs 26 ozs with 1" Pachmayr decelerator, aluminum bedding block and is the OEM stock for Remington's Titanium 700s. Mine's a little different in that it has the soft-touch (dura touch?) coating. I got it from Stocky's www.stockysstocks.com.
There's also a tan with black webbing, gray with black, black with gray and some other variations.
I like it, but the grip is a little fuller than I prefer.

Last edited by exbiologist; 05/31/09.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Accuracy mostly depends on the gun, they have a habit of being very individual...

I have not read all these posts as I know what they will say and that the bottom line is it just depends on your personal experience..

I have never had any trouble getting Noslers to shoot into an inch if the gun is capable and all my present guns are..

I don't like the way Swift A-Frames kill game, they ball up into a overly smooth ball and sometimes don't leave a very good blood trail, and game makes a lot of tracks with them...

I like the way Nosler kill game, even when the front portion blows off, as that does a lot of damage, but if this is problematic with you then go one weight heavier and it won't happen..You will always get an exit hole with Noslers except at severe angles and in rare conditions what ever they may be..

It's an individual choice, and I base mine solely on shooting a rather large number of animals with both bullets, and opted for the Nosler..I also like the Sirroco better than the A-Frame, particularly on lighter game.

One of the things I really like about a Woodleigh bullet is those extended lead coated wings that look and perform like propellers that rip and tear and cause profuse bleeding and internal damage as they pass through an animal...They are excellent bullets also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tonk
Now how about that Nosler Accubond bullet? Nosler has it's B.C. listed at .550 for the 225 grain bullet, just food for though elk hunters.

Can't speak to any other 225-gn bullet from a .338, but MAN that Accubond rocks at longer ranges! I've shot probably 400-500 of them out to 650 yards. They are frighteningly accurate in my rifle- which will vary from gun to gun- but to the point, they buck wind like no other hunting bullet I've tried, and they sure make an impression on the steel plate when they arrive!

My pard Jerry has 2 elk with this bullet in the last 3 years, also. Both DRT at ~300 yards. Both exited. FWIW.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ray,

Hate to change the subject to another bullet smile but since you mentioned them, Woodleighs. Any experience in the 7mm variety? Would you consider them soft enough for game as light as deer? 140gr at 2900fps or 160gr at 2700fps?

I really like the idea of a bonded bullet but I hate plastic tips...

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Exo. What is the length of pull? I can't seem to find it on Stocky's site.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have seen the Partions come apart on elk several times... This should be a no brainer. Swift all the way..

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would greatly appreciate hearing the details of the Partitions that came apart on elk. Thanks!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yeah me too with pictures! I like the way the partitions work and I use them whenever I want to without problems. The A frames might be good bullets too but I don't have 600 of them on the shelf.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well it was 4-5 years ago, my hunting partner was using a Rem 7mm Mag, shot at an elk about 350-400yards ,and shot 5 times at his elk,hitting him every time, except once, and finially downed his elk. We had to quarter the elk out, and we found 3 out of the four bullets. Most of the bullets had fragmented, and the largest one looked like the size of a pensil eraser. I dont have any pictures, but, i remember my hunting partner saying , that he would never use them again.. They were good bullets 20 years ago, and still are, but there are so many others out there that are far better.. You spend 5-600 on a gun,3-400 on a scope, maybe a lot more, iam being conservative, plane fare, or gas money to drive there, use a week of vacation or more, pay for your hunting licence.,, and the most important and last thing that leaves your barrel is your bullet. You might only get one shot, so please dont skimp on those bullets, spend another dollar and buy some better bullets....

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brucie
I have seen the Partions come apart on elk several times... This should be a no brainer. Swift all the way..

Still have never seen a partition that "failed".

Lots of guys have posted here with "failed" partitions from very dead animals that did not run away.

The front half coming off and the rear plowing through is what it is designed to do.

Just my 2 cents.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brucie,

Thanks for the info.

But I have seen literally hundreds of big game animals shot with Nosler Partitions, the bullet ranging from 60-grain .224's to .416 400's, the animals including not only elk but moose, and a bunch of African animals of the same general size, from 400-1500 pounds.

I have never seen anything like you describe, and find it difficult to believe that 160-grain 7mm Partitions would do that at 350-400 yards, much less at close range.

I suspect your friend either got hold of some really mystical Partitions that somehow acted like varmint bullets, or didn't actually know what bullets were in his ammunition. Sorry to be so doubtful, but your story is so different than anything seenin my 30-some years experience with Partitions that is just sounds like something really fishy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What you have described is not classic Partition performance. PT's were designed to loose the front core and let it shred tissue in the wound. The rear core remains intact in the rear portion of the partition to maintain weight and provide deep penetration.Maybe one might "fail" but 3-4 in the same animal? Not questioning you but maybe your friend "thought" he was shooting Partitions when in fact he was shooting another bullet. I dun no.

JD338

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know i would receive a lot of static from those die hard partition fans, but seeing is beleiving.. The next day , i asked to see his box of bullets, and they were factory bullets.. Cant remember the brand name or weight.. Come on guys, you can kill an elk with ANY bullet out there, and in any cailber, as long as you place your shot.. Its that some bullets are better than others, and through the years , bullet develoment has change and gotten better.. This is 2009, not the 70s. End of story.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Or maybe your friend thought the bullets were failing, but in reality they were just loosing the front core like they are supposed to.

OR, it could be that the holy patition failed. I'm not neive enough to think that there is a bullet out there that doesn't fail from time to time...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For some reason I get the feeling alot of folks are laughing at their monitors about now! grin

MtnHtr

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,429
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.