-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outcast - The situation is identical for Canadians who may want to travel through the states with a firearm on board. We have a daughter living in Alberta. If driving out there and wanting to carry a firearm I no longer try to travel through the northern states due to the complications of trying to bring a gun into the states.

Your rules are crazy too. A friend goes to Texas in the winter. He likes to shoot skeet so he takes a shotgun. In order to avoid hassle he buys a small game license from Indiana, I believe. He never gets near that state but this is all that is needed. Don't know who is responsible for your rules, Homeland Security, or some one else. Whom ever, your rules don't make any more sense than some of ours.

Jim

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The last time I traveled the Alcan, I inquired here and a friendly Canadian Customs officer responded, seems there is no problem carrying a flare gun in you emergency gear. So I did. I don't know how much good it would do, but I wouldn't want to be shot with one. I keep thinking I'll shoot it at something close up to see how it works, but so far have not. Anyone have any experience along that line? --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Outcast - The situation is identical for Canadians who may want to travel through the states with a firearm on board. We have a daughter living in Alberta. If driving out there and wanting to carry a firearm I no longer try to travel through the northern states due to the complications of trying to bring a gun into the states.

Your rules are crazy too. A friend goes to Texas in the winter. He likes to shoot skeet so he takes a shotgun. In order to avoid hassle he buys a small game license from Indiana, I believe. He never gets near that state but this is all that is needed. Don't know who is responsible for your rules, Homeland Security, or some one else. Whom ever, your rules don't make any more sense than some of ours.

Jim

I feel sorry for you Canadians that have lost your gun rights a bit at a time.
But our laws are not YET as crazy as yours. Yes for you coming in since 9/11, but for us, we still have ways to buy and carry full auto, silencers, handguns and the such.

But being naive about what could happen, is just that, naive and its a shame you've been duped into that false sense of security.

For me and many of us in the States, we are the only ones that feel responsible for our own and family protection.

I hate to see the day that we end up with as draconian firearms laws as you have.

Me, I won't go anywhere without a firearm any more. Haven't had to use or draw one yet, but we are also very far away from LEO help a lot of times. Point is I"m safe with a firearm, think I'm responsible for me, and don't want the govt telling me I have to have this or that locked up, removed, destroyed etc... its none of their business.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
olblue;
Until I read your question Mel I�d forgotten an experiment along that line from about a dozen years back.

Another fellow and I were having a chat about the effectiveness of a flare gun as a deterrent on bears, etc. one day at lunch. That afternoon he showed up with a standard orange 12ga flare pistol and some flares obtained at a local marina if memory serves.

In the yard where we worked were several empty sea cans, I think 20� long ones. We set up an empty beer box on another box at one end, closed one door altogether and partially closed the other door to minimize the chance of being hit by ricochet.

The other chap did the shooting and he was able to hit the beer case at that range.

I can�t recall if the flare went through the beer case or just knocked it off the other box. I do recall that the flare burned for what seemed like a long time to us. We both commented that it would flat ruin one�s day to get hit by the thing, especially if it managed to stick to you. shocked

Anyway, that tale likely didn�t answer your question as it sure wasn�t a definitive test for wind drift, penetration in ballistic gel or anything, but once upon a time two slightly daft Canucks managed to hit a Kokanee box with a flare. wink

I hope you have a good day and a fine weekend sir.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Dwayne,
I was thinking the time delay wouldn't help if the flare was called upon& the range would off course be very short in a defencive situation. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 1,425 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,866
Posts18,497,379
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.