Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 1A in 7X57.
I love the darn thing. I would love to get my hands on one in 30,06. The extra 4 inches of barrel would likly speed your bullet up a little , but how much difference does 100 FPS make ?
I also have a 1B , in 6mm. They both shoot real well.
I want to go hunting from horse back one day. The 1A in 7X57 .270 or 30,06 would be a dandy saddle rifle.
...tj3006

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Some years ago, I despaired of ever finding a 1A in 7X57 in the used racks of the guns stores I habitutated. So I finanlly gave in and bought a new one.

Now I understand why you can hardly find a used one. Most of the ones ever built have been bought up by Campfire members.

Seriously, there's a bunch of them here!

- Tom

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How are the factory triggers on these guns?

An honest question, I have never pulled a trigger on one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My experience is that in recent years (say the last 10-15) the factory triggers are usually just fine for big game hunting. I have purchased several new No. 1's in that time and they all had factory triggers that broke pretty cleanly at 4 pounds or a little less.

In the instance where I wanted a lighter pull, I worked over the trigger myself (not too tough) and got a pull down to a very crisp 2 pounds or so. This was on varmint rifles.

It's also been my experience that recent Ruger No. 1 triggers get lighter, crisper and more consistent with a little use. When I first got the No. 1A .30-06 described earlier the pull averaged 4-1/2 pounds, but varied 1/2 pound or so. I dry-fired it maybe 50 times and the pull then measured a very consistent 4 pounds, and was crisp enough that I'm not going to fool with it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mule Deer,

could you please know how far in front of the trigger the balance point is on your 1A with the Leupold scope attached.

Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[I�m having a tough time deciding between those two models. They feel and seem almost like two different rifles. The Light Sporter has a 22-inch barrel and weighs about 7 pounds. The Standard model has a 26-inch barrel and weighs a much heftier 8 pounds.]

You might want to check Ruger's website for current #1B, aka "Standard Model", specs.

IIRC, Ruger's snuck in a barrel length change, from 26" down to 24" - at least on some chamberings.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ranger,
If you shoot off hand, the 1-S is the better of the two..the 1A is light and tends to bounce around considerabley more if you run to the top of a ridge to get a shot, like any fwt rifle will do..I like them both, but this is my opinnion on them. I think the 1-S just points like a Boss Shotgun and holds the wiggle down.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Timberline...

Have you looked at and handled a Ruger #1 International (aka "RSI")? It's only 36-inches long overall with a 20-inch barrel and very handy to carry in the woods at only about 8 pounds total including scope mount & scope. I have one in 7x57, a "classic" caliber in what is truly a "classic" rifle with its full Mannlicher-style stock and muzzle cap.

To complete the "classic" appeal, I had my gunsmith install a Kepplinger single set trigger in the RSI. I had him set the regular trigger, which "breaks" very "clean", at 3 pounds which is good for hunting and ask him to set the single set trigger at about 8 ounces which is great for shooting from the "bench"... but does take a little "getting-use-to".

Good luck in your search for "THE" Ruger #1... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Flashman
Mule Deer,

could you please know how far in front of the trigger the balance point is on your 1A with the Leupold scope attached.

Thanks.

Flashman, Not MD, but my A chambered in 7x57 with a Leu M8 4X mounted in low Leu rings balances right at the juncture of the fore-end wood and the receiver metal.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an international. in 30,06.
The trigger is grand, But the rifle is not what i would call a tack driver. 1st time or 2 out I did,nt get the best results.
But I put a couple of shims under the stock losend up the screw that holds the band at the muzzle a little , and it shotts prety good now.
I alo found that it likes faster powders and magnum primers.
the 20 inch barrel really is no handycap as far as velocity goes.
150 grain bullets get better than 2900.
I have toyed around with putting a #1A (alex henry style) forarm on it and removing the nose band all together.
It would be a piece of cake to put the origional one back on.
It would still be just as handy and compact, but might shoot better.
I think my smith has one.
Its worth thinking about. #1s are just plain cool.
I would love to get a #1B in 7mm rem mag.
And I also wish ruger would make them in .257 Weatherby mag with about a 28 inch barrel.
...tj3006

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I prefer the balance of the #1B standard rifle. (... actually, I prefer the #1H, but that's not available in '06.)

I like the #1A's shorter barrel and slimmer forend but I do not like iron sights on a rifle I plan to shoot with a scope. All they do is tear up the inside of my gun rugs, snag on branches when I'm hunting, etc. They get in the way without adding anything.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bcp
If you have been handling them bare in a store, remember that a scope and rings will add at least a pound. To me, the 1B is a sitting rifle while the 1A is the walking rifle.

Bruce

Exactly.

And I would add, I owned and deer hunted two years in a row with a .30-06 RSI, and found it a joy to carry. My "B" feels like it weighs a couple of pounds more.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Freedum1,

It does. But as the song says "he ain't heavy, he's my brother". Been hauling Bs around on the groud, still hunting, for a long time now and they carry more comfortably than any other rifles of their size that I know of. Complete with 6x scopes, sling, and a full load (grin) too. I have a few As and some lighter custom #1s and enjoy them but see no chance of them making the Bs into safe queens.

1B

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.