Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I love the octagons, but a critical factor is the length of the cylindrical shank at the chamber end.

Most gunsmiths - in the US - make them too long. They do this so they can grab them with a common barrel vise.

To look "right" (to me anyway) the cylindrical portion needs to be short (look at the classic European octagons). This requires making shims for your barrel vise or casting bushings out of bedding compound, but it's worth the extra effort to me.

Here's one on a 7mm Mauser.

[Linked Image]

And I'm putting another in 30-06 on a 1909 next.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That is a beauty Chris.
Butch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
I like that look myself. Here is one of my octagon to round rifles.

[Linked Image]

Terry

Does any one do these barrels for under 2K, if you supply the blank?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I gots me a couple. One on a Ruger #1 another on an Encore.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ML

Last edited by Mntngoat; 05/27/09.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]

Terry

I think Lothar walther has a good price on this type of barrel. PM ButchLambert1 and ask him. He know's the details.

Terry

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the reply. I'm in need of one in .223 for a .22 Lr Springfield 1922. I've had quotes around 3K. Far to rich for my blood. I will PM Butch. I've got a fantastic Myrtle wood stock that looks like marble cake French. I'm only a barrel away from finishing this long winded project.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is some info on Walthers http://www.lothar-walther.com/278.php

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]

Terry

I think Lothar walther has a good price on this type of barrel. PM ButchLambert1 and ask him. He know's the details.

Terry

Got my quote from Woody, looks like 1.5 K for that same barrel.

Thank you Terry and Butch.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

That's less than I would have thought... good news.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by like2shoot
here is some info on Walthers http://www.lothar-walther.com/278.php

For what it is worth, I know one guy with one of these barrels on a Mauser and it shoots well under one MOA.

Looks neat too!

John

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What to my eye is the nicest part octagonal to round with full length rib. The transition into a wedding band at the departure point of the octagonal to round. When you have the completed rifle in hand and send it off to the engraver for two gold rings on the wedding band (one on either end, with a space between the two).

For me nothing else competes, for looks.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'll see if I can take photos of a friends sako vixen with octo to round, with full length rib, rear 2 leaf, front short ramp and ivory bead. A Flaigs gun from PA in the 60's, possibly the finest tiny stalking rifle I've seen. Its in .222 mag also. Just a gorgeous gun.

Meat is Murder
tasty, tasty murder
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Octagon barrels add class to a rifle, and I like the looks of them. Same with color case hardening on "selected" parts of the rifle. Also, some Roger Kehr engraving adds MUCH to enhance a rifle's beauty.
As long as the complete rifle looks good, I'm all for it.
Mark Stratton, and I believe James Anderson too, do some awesome octagon barrel work. I can drool over the above stuff all day long..

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

C
C
http://www.montanarifleman.com/barreltechinfo.htm

Montana Rifleman shows an octagonal barrel as part of their inventory options at a reasonable price. I have heard that they're pretty good barrels but have no personal experience with them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=3sixbits]What to my eye is the nicest part octagonal to round with full length rib. The transition into a wedding band at the departure point of the octagonal to round.

Thanks 3sixbits that is what I was trying to describe on my earlier post.I have seen just the one like that and it was a stunner. The 'wedding band'is quite mild convex and if the band is backed up against the fore end tip it is spectacular.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
They are very pretty;from a functional standpoint, I don't know what they do....

The added weight is to increase physical fitness while hunting since you are away from the treadmill.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VonGruff
To my eye an octagon to round with the break point at the forearm tip is a beautiful thing. I have seen a model M Oberndorf(African) with a shortened fore end and the transition was done so that there was no gradual running out of the flat onto the round but a tiny grove turned to just touch the centre of the flats then a convex bead ( to the height of the octagonal points) then to the round. That may not convey just how attractive it was but it really set the rifle off.

Von Gruff.

I have and 8X57 like you describe, looks much like the barrel on Terry's rifled pictured here. Once you get a taste for rifles like that, you had better have real deep pockets. It means going from a tap water budget to something a little more costly than Mad Dog 20-20. grin

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]

Terry

Terry

Another alternative would be to buy an old guild gun with a nice looking barrel on it then Have it re-bored like you want it. The one you see in the above picture I paid $250 for and sent it over to Jim Duball and had it re-bored from a 8X57J to a .338-06.

Here is another one I bought and did the same thing too. It's a .260 Remington now. I hope to get it stocked soon.

Terry

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Here's another angle. This is a 30-06.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
New_Guy's 1909 with the octagon barrel is great art! A rifeman's art.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (257 roberts, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 55 invisible), 12,063 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,658
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.