Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hello all, I'm still new to "big boy toys". Looking to put a new scope on an Interamrs Mark X in .375 I recently aquired. Took the old Weaver 3x9 off of it. I have a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 sitting around gathering dust. Will this hold up Ok?

Also, any recommendations on Base and Rings? It had plain jane Weaver bases and some cheapo aluminum rigns on it. Don't think they are the best idea.

It's never going to be an everyday gun for me. More of a novelty, but I want it to shoot well. Might be taking it to Newfoundland this fall.

Thanks for the help, can't wait to have it all back together to play with. Shot a few rounds when I first got it just to play....... Big booms are big fun. This could get addicting!!!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 3-9X is a great scope and it'll work fine. It may eventually puke, but you can always get Leupold to fix it. If you were going to use it on a dangerous game gun...then there are better choices. For a play toy, why not.

Talley bases and rings are the best, but not cheap and they ain't exactly pretty.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have that scope on my .375 Wby. No sweat. Get Warnes or Talleys.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
+1, I've got a set of Warnes on one and a set of Talleys on another. You can't go wrong with either. As for scopes, I've got the VX-II on one and so far its held up just fine.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The VariX IIs are stronger than later scopes according to some more well informed friends. I have shot a Vari X II on a 450 Dakota for several hundred rounds with no problem. I'm told a scope will usually expire pretty quick if it's going to.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
All of my rifles have Talley quick detachable rings and bases and Leupold scopes, mostly old ones..I learned that lesson many years ago. They both work.

Leupolds like anything made by man can fail on rare ocassions, but the guarentee is the very best in existence..Send it in and get it back within 10 days repaired and 99% of the time, no charge, no questions asked...I sent one back in two pieces after a horse rolled on the rifle..I got a new back in 8 days and no charge..and that is typical Leupold...

Last edited by atkinson; 04/22/09.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
In my opinion, it's impossible to go wrong with a Leupold. I have a VX III on my .375 H&H (the only difference between the various VX's and Vari-X's is the lens coating, not the durability). That is not to say that other scopes are necessarily inferior. For example, prior to installing the Leupold, I used a Swarovski on my .375, which I used with great satisfaction on a Tanzanian buffalo hunt. I subsequently moved the Swarovski to a Savage 110 in 7mm Mauser. Aside from being American made, Leupold's warranty and customer service is unparallelled. I would not under any circumstances use aluminum rings on anything larger than a .22 rimfire.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Hello all, I'm still new to "big boy toys". Looking to put a new scope on an Interamrs Mark X in .375 I recently aquired. Took the old Weaver 3x9 off of it. I have a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 sitting around gathering dust. Will this hold up Ok?

Also, any recommendations on Base and Rings? It had plain jane Weaver bases and some cheapo aluminum rigns on it. Don't think they are the best idea.

It's never going to be an everyday gun for me. More of a novelty, but I want it to shoot well. Might be taking it to Newfoundland this fall.

Thanks for the help, can't wait to have it all back together to play with. Shot a few rounds when I first got it just to play....... Big booms are big fun. This could get addicting!!!!!
............Put your 3x9 Leupy Vari on there and have a good time.

However, if any dangerous game is ever on your hunting agenda in the future, the 3x9 which can be used, is not the best choice imo.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
zeiss 1.8-5.5, warne QD. Both are heavy, but I don't mind on my 375HH..........gl

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts

I've used Weaver style bases [aluminum and steel] on several 375s w/o any problems at all. Good rings are the key. Burris Zees or Leupold PRWs will work great.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Cabela's Alaskan guide on mine that has been a GREAT scope. My CZ only sounds mean the recoil isn't bad at all,'bout like a 30-06 with 220's.... a big old pussy cat. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have Talley Lightweights and a VXIII 2.5-8X.
So far, so good.
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Talleys and a 1.5-5x VariX-III on mine. 800+ rounds thru mine without problems.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I will add to my original post that inasmuch as the .375 is not a particularly long range rifle and it is a hunting rifle primarily then I would opt for a scope with a 20 MM objective to assure it to maintain a zero above all else as dependability is first and foremost in any hunting rifle IMO...therefore I would suggest a 3X or 4X Leupold fixed or a 1x4x or 1.5x5x in a varible power scope..All of these scopes have worked well for me and I have yet to come across a shot wherein a big varible and/or more power would have made one iota of difference..The idea of a scope is to put the X on the shoulder and pull the trigger, a 2x will do that well even at extended range.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've seen game taken to 500 yards with a 5x scope and a .375.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just noticed this topic. That the movement away from the 1.5-5 to the newer 1.75-6 has been going on for some time on the .375H&H's we see here in Alaska. Not a new story, and I wonder if the reason is more due to ageing eyes than any other?

I, as just a casual observer have seen the popularity of the 1.5-5 scopes decline, when it was once the most popular scopes sold here in Alaska.

Today it seem the 1.75-6 is the new top dog.

I still think the reason for most people buying these higher power scopes for the .375 H&H is due to the more ofter shooting at the range, than field use.

As to rings and bases, there are a lot of good ones to select from. I have lots of the Talleys, but still don't believe any was ever better or more rugged than the Old Buhlers. I hoard and use them two to one over all other makes. You want absolute rugged, then look for the old Buhlers.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
IMO the 1.75-6x is a good choice - I have that scope on a 375 Ruger. Talley LWTs are god ones as are the Warne QDs. If you don't want detachables, it's hard to beat Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases for plain toughness on heavy recoil rifles. IMO 3-9x is higher power than I want on a 375 if there's any chance it'll be used on DG.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Rock what you got! Your 3x9 should be fine, I went with bushnell elite 2.5-16 (has 4 inch eye relief on high power. (I'm so pretty don't need scars). That way both my hunting rigs match-optically.

Last edited by nickelstick; 05/30/09. Reason: fickle
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by nickelstick
Rock what you got! Your 3x9 should be fine, I went with bushnell elite 2.5-16 (has 4 inch eye relief on high power. (I'm so pretty don't need scars). That way both my hunting rigs match-optically.
.......Hey pretty boy!......A 2.5x16 Elite 6500?? On a 375???

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hi squeeze smile
yah I like playing with the knobs, it matches my 300 winmag and It's light (both in weight and transmission 50mm). Plus to me past 250 I like to adjust and hold spot on, thought hunting I'm still waiting for the need. With my lovely sako I'm using talley quick disconnects for "fun" in the bushes. 2.5X is really wide though, at low power it more like 5.5" relief!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (257 mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 160user, 2500HD, 27 invisible), 12,302 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,233
Posts18,544,183
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.