-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did SKB make the Weatherbys that CDNN are carrying?

WAR EAGLE!

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I guess I would call them to confirm, but the timing of CDNN receiving these guns is consistent with them being the SKB closeouts.

Ready, Fire, Aim
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one yesterday! I began calling around gunshops within a four hour drive of my house and found a shop fairly close by that had exactly ONE .20 ga. Weatherby/SKB Orion left over. It has 26" barrels, not my first choice in length, but the wood is very pretty, the fit and finish is fine, blue is even and deep, the trigger breaks nicely enough. All in all a nice looking (to my eye), and good handling gun. He had the old price of $1,050.00 on it but I found a shop within thirty minutes of him that had just began carrying SKB's and offered a similar model for $999.00. This guy sold me the "Weatherby" SKB for the same price. Maybe not a "bargain" but I don't think I got hurt too badly considering other guns in the same quality range are $1,500.00+ and even the CZ's seem to be bring around a grand at new prices in the local shops.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good job! You got a nice shotgun at the right price..

Now (and forgive me if you already know this) just ensure you smear a small bit of grease on the sidewalls of the monoblock and on the barrel pivots.. Do NOT let those areas get dry or it can result in galling.. This is especially important in hot weather when you're shooting several rounds and the gun heats up..

The barrels will be stiff upon opening/closing for the first 500 shells or so, then it will loosen up.. Just pay close attention to ensuring that coating of grease is maintained while it's breaking in, and throughout thereafter.. Clean it after every shooting session and wipe down the metal..

After loading, close the action gently - do not slam it shut - and it will last you a lifetime..

Congrats on obtaining a fine shotgun.. If you ever have questions on it or concerns about some part of the operation, never hesitate to give me a yell...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
MOGC Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Redneck,
That was my plan, but I am all ears and appreciate any info and experience you have to pass on. I'm not too old or stubborn to learn new tricks!

Edit: I have been looking at some Briley X2 extended chokes for it. As I said earlier, I really wanted 28" barrels, though I will appreciate the 26" tubes when busting brush this fall/winter. The flush mounted chokes may be fine for hunting in the thicker cover. But as a way of getting a little more weight out front I thought of the Briley extended chokes for a little informal skeet shooting and dove hunting. Thoughts on the Briley tubes?

Last edited by MOGC; 06/29/09.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The extended tubes offered by SKB are also made by Briley.. But as with any new choke tube, take it outside immediately and pattern it.. You'd be surprised how many tubes will toss your pattern off center by tons.. It's why many competition shooters in trap/skeet now use shotguns with fixed chokes..

Enjoy!!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 204guy, 72 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,514 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,478
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.