Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I keep reading comments about the cost of centerfire ammo being prohibiitive. And I agree - I have definately changed my shooting habits because of the high prices.

One thing that I've done though is to start shooting more .22LR guns. I have also purchased a new Ruger pistol and a CMMG .22LR AR-15 conversion unit for use in my black rifles.

I'm finding that the .22's are really kind of relaxing to shoot and I've started taking them to every range session. I'll start with the centerfire and shoot a half box or so - depending on what I'm shooting and then I'll switch to the .22 and shoot 10 or 15 mags of that - 150 rounds.

This last weekend, it was the flat top 44 Special to test some loads and the new .22 pistol.

Here's a pic of the Ruger that I bought - its a 45/22 target model with 5 1/2" barrel. I shot it last weekend - about 15 mags worth and not only was it accurate, but it functioned 100% with the Winchester HV ammo that I was using. A real joy to shoot. There were others with .22's on the line too and this gave me another item to BS over as well smile

[Linked Image]

I am just curious as to how many others have started shooting more .22LR smile

Last edited by OSOK; 06/15/09.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1 I like the Ruger Governement Model

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For once, I get to pat myself on the back for seeing this one coming. I was stocked up on 22lr a long time ago, and now I reap the benefits.

No, I won't sell any of my ammo. It's mine to shoot - so there. grin

Right now, the 22s and the 1911 (which I loaded oodles of ammo and still have components for) are all I shoot. Gonna break out the Ruger Old Army soon though and start in on the cap&ball too.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Over a year ago, when centerfire ammo prices started climbing, I snagged an old .22, a 1955-ish S&W K-22 pre-model 18, before those prices started climbing too much. I also bought a lot of bricks in the $9-$10 range. If I had been similarly brilliant regarding my 401K, I'd be a lot happier today, but at least I can go shoot some .22s to ease the pain! smile

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I fairly recently purchased a .22 conversion upper for my G20. Same grip/sight picture/trigger with rimfire economy. I think I did good.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hear ya. Since the whole ammo supply has dropped I grab a brick every time I see one price sainly and picked up a 22/45 last month to get more pistol time in and not have to shoot up all my 9mm ammo. Like you I have found the ruger more accruate then me and I haven't had any issues with any of the ammo I have fed it.
[Linked Image]

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ah the same exact model as I chose - great minds think alike! :lol:

To me that was just the best one that was in the case in terms of balance and sighting and such - they had about 8 of em to choose from...

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I�ve been singing the praises of my 10 shot S&W 617 for at least 5 years now. If I�m going shooting, you can bet it�s in my bag.

Oh, and congrats on the new additions...good call.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've sometimes read about handgun shooters who simply aren't interested in .22lr handguns. They don't own one. Don't want one and don't see the need. I'd be willing to bet their targets with centerfire handguns show it. A man can't have too many .22s

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two, a H&R nine shot I just bought (upper left) and the Ruger Government I've had for years (upper right). Lately they are getting most of the action.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This spring I bought a .22 cal S&W 317 eight shot revolver at a Sportsman's Warehouse going out of business sale. I love the thing, it's an AirLite, made out of aluminum with a steel lined barrel/cylinder, you don't even feel it on your hip. I have a Ruger MkII with a 10" bull barrel, great for targets...not so great for riding on the hip. I wanted a 22 I could carry all day whether on a hike or loaded with shot for rattlers while in the dog towns. Not the most accurate but I don't plan on shooting it at anything more than 20' away anyway. With it being almost impossible to find 380 and 45 ACP ammo, let alone being able to afford to shoot it, a 22 handgun really makes sense for now.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ruffcutt,
I've got that same S&W in 3". Mine came from the Salem Or. Sportsman's Warehouse. It's my all-time favorite handgun! Have a 3" S&W Sc360 to go with it. Also have several other 22 LR handguns that get shot lots more than the centerfires nowdays.
Welcome to the "fire"
Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of people fail to give the .22LR its due and only consider the little cartridge "a plinking gun for the kids." IMHO they couldn't be more wrong. Every really GOOD shot I know shoots a lot of rimfire ammo. I love my rimfires and agree with the statement above that you can't have too many .22LR's!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the welcome Virgil. I've been a regular reader of the campfire for several years and have really enjoyed it, I just felt like I didn't really have anything to add that wasn't said already so I never became a member until recently. I guess I'll still read alot and post a little now and then.

ruffcutt

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Same here. Ruger MK III and Glock Advantage Arms conversion kit. The .22 is fun to shoot and helps to develop good shooting skills. My kids enjoy punching holes and hitting plates as often as we can (so do I).

Great for practicing off hand shooting and just having fun on the range.

The .22 ammo situation is making it more difficult, but it is more economical than pistol ammo now.....

Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
The guys at the Sheriff's Dept. bought me a Ruger MKII when I retired with the 5 1/2 bull barrel. Love and won't let her go.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have to confess that while I had a couple of .22 handguns, I didn�t use them much until I had heart bypass surgery three years ago. Then for a period of a couple of months, I couldn�t lift more than 10 lbs. and couldn�t fire anything more than a .22. I fell in love again with the .22 cal. handgun. Since that time, I have bought a number of additional .22s and .22 conversions for centerfire guns, but my passion is double action revolver shooting, with a S&W 617 as the primary practice gun. This has fit in nicely with the present scarcity of centerfire ammo and components.

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There's a Smith Airlight .22 revolver (short barrel) at the shop right now (unless somebody bought it). I've been looking at it. They are really incredibly light weight. The trigger is very good too.

I would think that this would be an ideal gun for anyone that needed a defensive firearm that couldn't handle for whatever reason, 'more' gun. Put some Velocitor ammo in it and you've got 8 rounds of a fast .22LR to inflict on your assailant. That's a lot better than having nothing or a can of pepper spray IMHO. Plus, the owner of this pistol could practice for very little money with the same power level of ammo that they would have to fire in anger.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have no regrets buying my AirLite, expensive, I know, But I got a really good deal. I bought some Velocitors for the same reasons you mentioned, haven't fired them yet though. Actually I was concerned that Velocitors may stress the cyclinder too much, not much meat between the chambers. I did have some Aquilia 60 grain subsonics that I tried, at 50' they were all over the target keyholing. I don't know the twist, but I guess 3 1/2" bbl wasn't enough to stabilize them. Mostly I've been shooting CCI CB shorts, quiet enough that I don't have to worry about hearing protection.

OSOK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm not really surprised to hear that about the subsonics - 60 grains is awfully heavy for 1:16" twist which is what I think they have. Probably more that than the length of the barrel.

The Velocitors aren't any higher pressure than standard high velocity types are they? I thought it was just and advance in powder and of course a lighter bullet?

The nice thing about the revolvers is that you don't have to worry about the rounds cycling the action - they can take anything that you feed them really. May not shoot very well like those 60 grainers but they will go bang smile

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,687
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.