Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Oh yeah, to the question at hand, I would hand him a Kimber Montana and see if his eyes light up. Kevlar/Stainless is the new Wood/Blued, and is about $700 less than the Super America!

Ready, Fire, Aim
HR IC

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think holding any of the 3 in his hands and knowing that it is his will bring a smile to his face.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If someone was poised to make an uninformed choice its any 12 year old. What can they know?

Instead inform them of all the options and guide the 12 yo to an sensible choice.

For instance what LOP is correct for the young hunter at 12? Perhaps a rifle with a plastic stock might be where to start so that the stock can be cut now and then increased in LOP as required and painted over.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
If someone was poised to make an uninformed choice its any 12 year old. What can they know?

What makes you think this 12 yr old is unimformed?

Its quite possible he is sorounded by adults that shoot alot and he has already formed his own opinion from actually handling/shooting these rifles.....like I said let him make the choice....I'm glad my father did.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by vital_kill
Okay, my nephew just turned 12 today and my brother is going to buy him his first rifle. Him and I are debating over the Kimber 84M vs. FN M70 FW vs. Rem M7. The cartridge has been settled and it will be chambered in 7-08. My brother wants to go low budget with the M7, but my nephew and I are talkin' quality. My brother is here online and give us your vote on which rifle.
1. Kimber 84M Super America (nephews pick)
2. FN Winchester M70 FW (my pick)
3. Rem M7 CDL (Brother's pick)

Part of me says, he's lucky to get any of them. And what fits him best now may change later since he is growing fast. While it'd be nice to have perfect LOP, etc. ... most folks adapt OK and make do with the avg's manufacturer's give us.

I don't buy the argument he must have what he wants. He should be tickled to death to have any of them. But, all of these rifles are close in price to each other; perhaps even roughly the same depending on the deals available. There is not a lot of difference between (1) and (2) really.

I don't own a Kimber, but I've seen mixed reviews on them. It would be a shame if he got a stinker, pretty and light as the Kimbers may be. Perhaps (2) is a safer bet. Seems like everyone here with one of the new M70's are pleased with them and FN is supposed to have really tight tolerance control in their plant.

OK, long-winded ramble there, but I vote M70 as first choice. But hey, if Dad is the one shucking out the simolians for this rifle, maybe his choice should be king grin .

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
As an aside...my personal first choice would be the M7.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

I don't buy the argument he must have what he wants. He should be tickled to death to have any of them.

Couldn't agree more. I hope it's not the case, but if he's the type of kid who is going to whine/pout if the doesn't get his way. Than he's going to have a long life ahead of him filled with disappointment most likely. All I see is the Super America is the most expensive of the bunch and thus that's what he wants.

I have a twelve year old nephew who wants wants wants, but is usually more than thrilled if he get something sporting related.

Lots of things I wanted when I was that age that I didn't get, just gave me more incentive to work harder in life and sadly there's still a lot of things I'd like but can't reasonably afford.

And as it's been pointed out, at least two outta the three choices will more than likely not fit him well right now. Maybe he can adapt, but if the dimensions are really outta whack than he's going to pick up bad habits that will plague him for years to come. With that said my pick would go to the M7, nice little guns that are more geared towards smaller frames, but are still suitable for adults.

Life is just one damned thing after another
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Remington all the way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by Savage_99

What makes you think this 12 yr old is unimformed?

Its quite possible he is sorounded by adults that shoot alot and he has already formed his own opinion from actually handling/shooting these rifles.....like I said let him make the choice....I'm glad my father did.

Information or being informed is gained by experiance and weighing one feature against another. A 12 yo cannot have much experiance.

I do welcome him into the world of riflemen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let the kid choose on Dad's dime??

Iffin' dats the case, they'd all be carrying iphones and driving BMW's and such.

Outta curiosity, when did the M7 become "low" quality? I could see barrel lenght disqualifying it ...

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get the Kimber and he'll have a classic to cherish all his days. I think it's a great rifle for a 12 year old...in fact, I purchased this very rifle in 7-08 for my son, and he's only 4 1/2. Of course, Dad gets to use it until he's old enough to carry it (grin).

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Well this morning all of us drove down to Sportsman Warehouse and he got to shoulder a Kimber Super America in .243. He looked at us with this "sad puppy face." Well....my brother dished out his credit card and swiped it across the debit machine. He ordered my nephew the Kimber S.A. in 7mm-08, my nephew with his money that he saved bought a Swarovski AV 3-9x36 for $535 that was on sale as a dicontinued item. It will be a nice rifle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sounds like a winner! And a Swaro to ride on top as well..WOW!
Youngster obviously has good taste.

Don't know many folks that don't still own the first gun gifted to them. That one's special.

The lawn had better be cut ALL THE TIME now. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This an expensive place for advice isn't it? grin

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Guess I grew up in the wrong family. My first rifle (which I will always have) was a 1917 Enfield that dad built a stock for, and had the ears ground, drilled/tapped, etc. Believe the rifle sold for $35 and the Weaver scope I painted the house for sold for $28. Couldn't have been happier if it had been a model 70, though I did pine over the Herters catalog for their U9.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have to admit I�m a little envious� for my first rifle my dad helped putting a $100 on a gun �we� needed. We had just moved to Alaska and �we� needed a .338 win mag. WAY too much gun for a 12 year old with no center fire trigger time. Then he hoodwinked me out of a leupold scope for his $100 share in the rifle. I still have it but haven�t shot it in ~13 years since leaving Alaska. Not too many good memories with that one other than a couple kills (his first moose & my bison).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
he got to shoulder a Kimber Super America in .243

I'm liking one of these for my wife ... in .243.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Wow, I think times have changed.

I was tickled pink with my used Ruger M77 and Weaver K4. As I said before your nephew is a lucky young man.

Last edited by JDK; 06/19/09.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sounds expensive, but my first rifle was a Rem 700 in 270 that cost $100. That seemed like a lot of money at the time. I think we need to accept that a dollar doesn't buy what it used to.

Not too long ago my son asked if he could have one of my rifles. He chose my most accurate big game rifle, which had just been restocked and had a new trigger installed. The look on his face when I gave it to him, made me not care about the cost.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
My nephew came home with a happy face and will ahve the rifle in hand in the next 10 day wait period. (stupid I-O-U-fornia law) When we got home we told my sis-n-law we bought him a gun. She was proud that they both are going to spend more time together............until she asked how much it cost, HAHAHA!

"$2500!!!!!!!! YOU BETTER UPGRADE MY FREAKIN' DIAMOND.......YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!TWENTY FIVE F****** HUNDRED DOLLARS????!!!!!!YOU MISTER, BETTER PUT IN OVERTIME AND NO, NO YOU ARE NOT COMING TO BED TONIGHT, HIT THE COUCH IN THE BASEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 76 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,786
Posts18,496,009
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.