Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
He took the 300SAUM apart that he did last year for me. I should have this one back Friday. I will take the bolt apart and let you know. I know Walter did on my BlackT.
Butch

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDFinn
People who make those statements just aren't familiar with Walter or the Black-T process.

I agree.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Can you do a complete rifle in Cerakote the same way Walter does? I mean a complete disassembly just like Walter does (pins, screws, springs etc.)

That is the only way to do it. Doug will take it apart or you can take it apart and he will send it back to you like you sent it to him.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have seen Black T and it seems to very nice, but I can't comment on the wear factor against cerakote.

On the other hand I have coated alot of rifles with cerakote, plus my own, and if done correctly it's pretty tuff to beat.

I have even been using the bake on cerakote on alot of stocks instead of the ambient cure, and it's very, very good.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eddie, when you do a rifle in Cerakote, do you apply it to ALL parts such as the pins, screws and springs in the trigger mechanism, extractor parts and firing pin assembly?

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Barreled action and bolt coated from me (lets say a rem 700) would include action screws, bottom metal, bolt stop, safety lever, shroud and cocking piece. I have coated firing pins, sako extractors, trigger shoes, and etc, when requested.

I don't know why you would coat the trigger pins (slight press fit), trigger adj. screws, and springs in a trigger unit when it could effect the function of the trigger.

when coating trigger shoes for example, I mask off the polished sear contacting point.

I have seen just about every rifle builders coating jobs that are out there and have yet to see the internals of a trigger housing coated, not that it couldn't be done, but I would recommend against it.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
You're right Eddie.
Butch

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Doug Burche at Ultra Coatings has a new version of Cerakote that is supposed to be WAY tougher than the earlier version. He just did a .338 for me for testing, but I haven't had time to do anything with it yet. I have had excellent luck with his apps of the original version.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For working trigger parts I usually run flash chrome or techalloy.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you eddie. If I knew how to put a trigger assembly back together, I would break mine down and snap a few photos to post. I have had Walter Birdsong coat several rifles for me and I have sent 40X trigger assemblies to him for a break down and complete coating. The reason, complete corrosion protection plain and simple. Besides an extractor failure, trigger foul-ups are up there as well with disabling a rifle on a hunt. Maybe it is overkill, but if he's willing to go the extra mile, I say why not. Just as a point of conversation, Walter is very fussy about his work and he has developed methods for coating these small parts that don't involve spraying on the finish. The method he uses allows him to maintain consistent thicknesses of the finish for parts that are critical in size. In my opinion and many others, thats what separates Birdsong from the rest.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RDFinn, I don't doubt you a bit about Walter doing trigger assemblies, I just know for a fact that I wouldn't want anybody dis-assembling a trigger of mine that has already been adjusted to my exact liking.

If I was to coat internal trigger parts I would use these guys http://www.mmicoating.com/index.html

They use what is called vapor deposition, It's basically the same process used on higher end tooling in manufacturing, 96 HRC is the hardness.

Naval Special Warfare tested a steel barrel coated with it and hung it off of a pier down in Coronado for a year. No surface marks from the salt water at all. No corrosion damage of any kind.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a stainless mauser receiver and am considering one of the PVD finishes. I think the one that I am leaning to is WWC.
Butch

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
These are poor pics of my Grandson's hunting rifle. Not my choice of colors, but it is his and not mine. I think you should be able to see that Charley Santoni took the bolt apart when he did his thing. The cocking piece and dowel pin are natural. On the bolt the Sako extractor and extractor pin have not been coated. I have not put the pin in at this time.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope this tells you something.
Butch

Last edited by butchlambert1; 06/27/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Black T / RULES / other coatings don't even come close

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Butch, what's with all the scratches in the stock paint, near the tang area?

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 250
Are you trying to tell me that Charley Santoni breaks down the bolt and coats every component or just coats the outside of the bolt?

He dis-assembled my bolt. Very thorough work.

Nice guy too.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had Walter Birdsong do three rifles in BlackT for me with a 4th on the way now. I've been very pleased with his work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim, I'm late to this as I don't get here as often.
I have had CAS and others do Cerakote and ...............

Doug at UltraCoat gets my business and recommendation. PERIOD. He is WAY to good and does more coatings than probably all other shops combined. You wouldn't know it as he as down to earth as anybody.

PM me if you want more.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1936M71, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,636
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.