Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
A friend of mine didn't want to purchase a SA revolver, he wanted double action, unrelated to CAS, but for carrying in the woods as a "backup" while rifle hunting. His "assinine" argument was, what if you injure your thumb or an animal injures your thumb. I told him you have two thumbs, a hand, a forearm, your leg if you need to pull the hammer back.

It got me thinking though, which thumb do you use to pull the hammer back?

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
the one on the hand the iron is in...

A shootin iron is a tool used for shootin
much like
a branding iron is a tool used for branding

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use a "squaw grip" both hands on gun, cock with the off hand.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Two different ways in two posts. smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hey Aaron!

I shoot mostly right handed, but left handed if that fits the shot better. With a two handed grip I may use either the strong side thumb or weak side thumb, just whatever feels right for the shot at hand. Lot of that depends on exactly which grip I'm using. With a "low thumb" support with the weak hand I usually thumb the hammer with my strong side thumb. If I'm using a "high thumb" on the support side, then I may well use that thumb to operate the hammer.

In other words ... I'm completely spastic. But that's not really new news. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I thought maybe you of all people would use T_O_M Thumb. laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I use my strong side thumb. If a bear bit my strong side thumb off I think I'd just throw the pistol at it instead of using my left hand thumb wink Thanks S_p_a_s_t_i_c_T_O_M !!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I thought maybe you of all people would use T_O_M Thumb. laugh

Owwww!!! That's bad. 20 lashes with a wet noodle for bad puns. Pun-ishment for pun-itive damages.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by acesandeights
I use my strong side thumb. If a bear bit my strong side thumb off I think I'd just throw the pistol at it instead of using my left hand thumb.

Hmmm ... can you throw well enough left handed to hit the bear with it? smile

I was thinkin' about that as I wrote the rest of my reply, which I actually wrote first. I throw a baseball or rock right handed but I throw frisby with my left.

I cast a fly and shoot pistol right handed most often but I'm certainly functional with either hand. Funny thing about pistol shootin', my apparent eye dominance switches to whatever hand the pistol is in. I've had 2 eye docs go goofy trying to prove me wrong 'cause "that can't happen."

I kinda figure I might be a natural left hander that's been conditioned to do most things right handed and I'm near enough ambidexterous enough to do it. Whatever hand I learn to do a thing with, that's the one I usually wind up doing that thing with most naturally.

In that sense, strong side doesn't mean much to me. I've mostly shot pistol right handed 'cause the hand-me-down holsters I started with were right handed so that's where the gun was. I tend to use a low thumb grip on the support hand if I'm shooting two handed and in that sense, I use the strong side hand on the hammer ... whichever hand that happens to be.

I've never done much two-gun shooting. I wonder how that'd work out since I can do fairly ok with either by itself.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Tell us before you try that, so's we kin git behind of you. blush grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If'n he throws like my sister that ain't safe. If he gets to where he can shoot like her, he'll be doing _fine_.

Fortunately for BOTH of 'em, he don't look much like my sister.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I use a low thumb on the support hand too but in reality I think I could get the hammer back if a bear chewed off my strong hand thumb. I'd just have to ask him to wait a few minutes before mauling me the rest of the way dead! smile Really, right, left, using a thigh or forearm to get the hammer back would be easy enough if the bear would wait just a few seconds before continuing to chew off my appendages. I thought it was one of the dumbest arguments against a single action versus a double action I'd heard, what would you do if you hurt one of your thumbs (it was two friends talking about it and after the conversation I didn't want to admit to being either of their friend smile ).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gen'rly speakin'

when assaulted by large carnivores with less than Christian benevolent attitude,

....I shoves my revolver up their nether orfice, and commences to twisting it around.

most all the time so far, they go to tryin' to pull the 6 shooter outta' this private area.

In that process cocking Col. Colt's Masterpiece.

I gen'rly lights a segar while waiting for said ready condition, and just squeezes her off, as appropriate.

No scratches or tears, so far,....though I did start a pretty bad bush fire once.

Best omit the Segar smokin'

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.