Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JoeM57 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Just found this board last night while doing a search on Long Range .22LR Rimfire, and thought it looked like a good place to be on occassion to discuss the Rimfire topics.

I have been on vacation this week and one of my goals was to reach out 200 yards and hit my 8 x 10 inch metal target with my Savage Mark II FVT. I have a 6-24x42 Tasco Mil-Dot scope on the rifle along with a 20 MOA EGW base.

I headed to the range this morning about 10:00 am, and set up a large paper target at 200 yards and after some work with the scope (I went in zeroed at 50 yards but had my dope worked out for 200 yards - or at least I thought I did), I was able to get a 5 shot 3 1/8" group using the Eley Sport 1085 fps...

After that I felt it was time to move to the 3/16th metal 8 x 10 swinger. Had some darn good luck with that I felt. I'm thinking I should try a 6 x 8 swinger next time?

I'm not new to shooting long range metal, I'm just new to shooting at this small of long range metal. We have a 150 yard lifesize coyote, 200 yard lifesize deer, a 175 yard Ram that is about the same size as the coyote, and some other metal targets at our local club where my son and I shoot. We have to listen for the "tic" when the bullet hits those. However, felt it was time to kind of isolate the results on an 8 x 10 swinger.

I will say this,,, long range .22LR is a whole lot of fun! Yesterday I was hitting this same 8 x 10 gong with my Lakefield Mark 1 Single Shot that only has a 3-7x20 BSA scope on it. Needless to say I had to use quite the hold over with it, but found that putting the scope's lower 'top' part of the post on top of the metal target - I was hitting it on average about 60% of the time using Winchester X22LRPP (1280 fps)... Today using the Savage setup and Eley Sport ammo I hit 90% (27 of 30 shots)... All shooting was done from the bench off the rifle's bipod's with no use of sandbags. Just the good ol' shoulder tuck.

Was just kind of wondering who else here enjoys .22LR long range shooting, and wondering what kind of results you're getting, as well as what type of target(s) you're using,,, and just any information you'd like to share.

Sorry for such a long winded post... smile

Joe
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I have a 3-9X33 Pride/Fowler scope with a bullet drop reticle that's calibrated for the .22LR round and goes out to 200yds. There is still some guess work to putting lead on target at that range but it's a lot fun. I recently acquired a CZ 452 Varmint and put a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 on it with target knobs. I plan on trying to do it with clicks instead of hold over very soon but I haven't been able to play with it yet. Years ago I would just walk the bullets in on the target.

Rimfires are great fun.

Terry

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have 2 Ruger 10/22's. One completely reworked while the other is stock and I can hit the Steel gong at 200 yards. Its a faint "ting" and the gong doesn't move but it will get out there.
HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot a cat out my front glass doors at a measured 240 yards once. Used a Single shot Remington and open sights. Lucky shot maybe, but we had been seeing him down there and I had been practicing where I could see the bullets hit the dirt a little bit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JoeM57 welcome to the Campfire! Good post! I live in WY and shoot at sod rats a lot with the lowly 22 LR as well as centerfire rifles. Long range with a 22 LR on varmints is a hoot!

Where do you hail from?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We shoot clay pigeons on the 200 yd back stop off the bench the only problem is some scopes/ sights run out of adjustment. the whole ones are not much of a problem those halves and quarters can be we also shot a 22 prone match at 200 yds on the high power off hand target you will learn about wind quick.

J
JoeM57 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
JoeM57 welcome to the Campfire! Good post! I live in WY and shoot at sod rats a lot with the lowly 22 LR as well as centerfire rifles. Long range with a 22 LR on varmints is a hoot!

Where do you hail from?

Right next door to you, NW Nebraska. And thanks for the welcome! smile

I do think with a little more long range practice I could pop a P-Dog from 200 yards with my set up. Would prefer a calm day of course. Like that's going to happen here very often, lol! laugh

Joe
J
JoeM57 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by bbgun1
We shoot clay pigeons on the 200 yd back stop off the bench the only problem is some scopes/ sights run out of adjustment. the whole ones are not much of a problem those halves and quarters can be we also shot a 22 prone match at 200 yds on the high power off hand target you will learn about wind quick.

Oh yes, I agree. I think shooting .22LR long range really helps a person improve on their windage & elevation adjustments in a hurry. Once that elevation is solved it really is just a matter of playing the wind. smile

Joe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Joe,

If you go to the BPCR section and look at the thread Shootin, you will see discussion and pics of long range .22 matches, including at Alliance, NE. Long range "mini-BPCR" with vintage single shots is becoming quite popular. There was also a thread about long range .22 further back under Rimfire as well.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
J
JoeM57 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks Paul, I'll check that out. I'm only 57 miles from Alliance. I've been wanting to get down there any way and take a look at the new range area. smile

Joe
IC B3

J
JoeM57 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by TC1
Yes, I have a 3-9X33 Pride/Fowler scope with a bullet drop reticle that's calibrated for the .22LR round and goes out to 200yds. There is still some guess work to putting lead on target at that range but it's a lot fun. I recently acquired a CZ 452 Varmint and put a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40 on it with target knobs. I plan on trying to do it with clicks instead of hold over very soon but I haven't been able to play with it yet. Years ago I would just walk the bullets in on the target.

Rimfires are great fun.

Terry

Terry, I tried to get to 200 yards with my cross hairs in the center of the target with this mil-dot scope of mine, but couldn't do it until I put a 20 MOA EGW Base under this scope.

I was told (on another forum) that many prefer a 30 MOA Base, however the 20 MOA Base worked for me. If my calculations are right I should still have 36.5 MOA (146 clicks) left on my scope from my 200 yard zero point at this time, but with the use of Mil-Dot's I should be able to get even more range. I'm limited to 300 yards however as that is the max distance of our local Range. I'd like to get out that far someday on the gong's. smile

Joe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
from my experience At 200yds=scopes- you will need to shim the mount or go to something like burris rings or a pitkittny?? mount- iron sights like the kimber/anschutz will run out of elevation and will need riser blocks or altering the ft sight the older redfields (olympic-international-palma) are ok- some people like to keep the scope in its elevation middle range as they feel that this is where the optimum performance opticly is

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the Info Joe.

Terry

J
JoeM57 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
You're welcome Terry.

The one thing that does have me a bit puzzled is why I still have 36.5 minutes left on my scope with the 20 MOA Base, yet I wasn't able to reach 200 yards without it? Maybe I lost something in the math,,, or???

One thing (before the 20 MOA Base) could be that when I was shooting at 200 yards, I was actually shooting out to 230 yards according to 3 Range Finder readings taken yesterday from different angles at the 200 yard marker down range. We did these readings after our monthly muzzleloading shoot, and each time it read 230 yards.

I'm off Wednedays so my son and I are going to go flag the range every 100 feet using the 100' tape we have, and check these Range Finder 'findings' of yesterday.

Now if this pans out that the readings are 230 yards at the 200 yard marker, I'll probably go for a 250 yard zero with the cross-hairs. Might just as well is what I'm thinking.

Joe
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
At one time I had a Remington 40X Custom Shop Sporter that was very accurate and mounted on top was one of the Shepherd 3.5-10x40 range finding scopes calibrated all the way out to 500 yards.

At the time the longest range available to me was 300 yards but hitting a silhouette target 5/5 in the body was not very difficult if the wind wasn't blowing too hard. On a dead calm day you could do heard shots, maybe 3/5, most of the time.

I posted this over on the old Shooters.com and was called a bald face liar by one of the members over there. Turned out after I told him who I was and where I shot he was an acquaintance who was on the Board of Directors where I was a member. After he came down and shot the gun, hitting the silhouette in the head at 300 yards, he issued a public apology.

If you have never seen or used a Shepherd they are great scopes once you understand them. I have them also on a .223 and .308 Remington LTRs and have shot some very small groups out to 800 yards with these guns.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Use a open sight CZ 452 full stock, military style range adjustable sight, fun to ping the 200yard metal targets. Have a CZ with a range reticle, on my to do list to try this at 200 yards.

J
JoeM57 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I figure once I get finished with as far as I feel I can get with the Mil-Dot scope and gong sizes at different ranges out to 300 yards, I'll remove it and reinstall the Peep Sights the Savage MKII FVT came with and repeat the gong trials.

However, I am considering just leaving the scope on this one and buying another MKII FVT, then I wouldn't have to switch out sighting systems. That's a ways down the road whichever way I decide to go?

Joe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many here shoot .22LR out to 200 yards or further?

Only when shootin' at the flyin' birds ... then figure the boolits fly further! wink

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Open fields, stupids digger squirrels and 22lrs are a hoot. Throw in a gusty wind and it gets so fresturating it gets even funner grin

J
JoeM57 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Slipped out to the Range this morning with my little portable gong hanger. Had every intent to work my way out to 300 yards and when I finished up on getting the Dope for my Mil-Dot Scope at 250 yards I moved my set up back to 275 yards.

I anchored my gong at 275 yds, spray painted it covering up the previous hits from 250, stuck a wind flag a few feet to the left of it, walked about 75 yards or so back towards the firing line and thought I'd better turn around and take a look at the gong,,, I couldn't see it!

After the 250 yard ridge where targets can be set, from that point and the rest of the way to the 300 yard backstop it drops off way to deep to see my gong setup.

I'll have to make another gong hanger that is taller so I can see the 275 & 300 yard gong's when I hang them.

All was not lost however as I got some good shooting Dope recorded in my book from 200, 225, and 250 yard shooting. I was also glad I put a Wind Flag out by my target each time as it did come in handy a few times when the wind came up.

Of course, when and if we ever get some kind of .22LR Sniper competition set up at our club, wind flags won't be allowed. A person will have to read the conditions to the target in other ways.

All in all, it was a good morning of shooting even if my gong stand wasn't tall enough to be seen from 275 - 300 yards...

Joe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 30 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,345
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.