Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a pair of .257 Roberts M70 XTRs that I bought in a deal. Sold one immediately to pay for the other one.
Later, I sold the other one to finance an elk hunt. One of the most accurate rifles I ever owned, but at the time I had 3 .257 Roberts rifles. Classic looking rifle to boot.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
HR IC

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I have two M70 FWT XTRS, a .257 Roberts and a 7x57. The 7x57 is a tack driver with Winchester factory 145 gr. Power Points and select handloads. The .257 isn't quite that dood with groups running 1.25 to 2.0" so far, but I also admit I just haven't done all that much with that rifle yet.
I also have an XTR, not a FWT in .270 Win. with 24" Barrel and what appears to be a McMillan stock from the factory. It's one of the most accurate rifles I own.
Paul B.

I had one in .257 Roberts. It too struggled to group. I believe the issue is/was the twist rate was a little slow for 100+ gr bullets. There is little data from Winchester, but I think other shooters measured the rate at 1-12. Mine would do 1.5-2 inch 5 shot groups, good enough for deer and caribou, but never tighter. My Ruger M77 would do 1" and under with several loads.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Have 7x57 XTR featherweight. I prefer the CRF rifles, and my favourite of late are the early 2010’s while they where still made in the USA. But that XTR featherweight is a fantastic rifle with excellent fit and finish and it’s more than accurate enough for any hunting I do, and the push feed has never hurt my chances any.

Last edited by meat sticks; 12/28/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by sakoron
OK now that I've been reading this thread and seeing some of the manufacturing comments being used to ID something, I'm hoping ya'll can answer some of my DA ?'s

In the late 1970's I got a job with a large Dallas based wholesale Spt Goods distributor as an outside sales rep with about 25% of the state of Texas. Schoellkopf had just been bought out by a Chicago based corporate raider who eventually re sold what was left of the 100+ year old Dallas success story.....We had been cut off or heavily restricted from most of the major Spt Goods Corp's credit lines, but the new startup management team at Winchester in St Louis sent us a "sample" of the new M70 FWT's to help get us started. We got 5 cases of 5 rifles in each case in 5 different calibers, 30'06, 270, 308, 257Rbt's & 243. The street reps who wanted to buy one rifle as a sample got them at the wholesale price. I bought a 257Rbt's, and my closest rep buddy, a former Ithaca factory Rep ,bought a 270. I sold the Sweet Jesus out of these guns in my North Texas territory with my Rbt's sample, and eventually shot the rifling out of the barrel many many years later, and sold the gun to pay for a SAKO I had ordered from Finland after I moved to Stoeger.

Couple years ago a dealer I had helped go into business back in the '70's offered me a steal of a deal on a super clean Fwt 7x57, which was NOT part of the initial startup 5 caliber package , as I was allus asking him if he had had any Fwts traded in.

So my ? is ....what year of mfg is my 7x57 with a SR # of G 157xxxx and a red butt pad. It is in nearly exquisite condition, with a folding leaf rear sight my Rbt's did not have and a hooded front sight same thing again. This gun shoots as good as I can shoot with factory ammo, and I tease the wife it'll go in the casket with me ...a common subject at our age's of 77+ that is kinda like gallows humor...but 3 of the 5 long term deer lease partners have already passed and the 4th one, is retired @ a little past 80, but the ex Ithaca Rep told me he is not able to pull a trigger anymore when I offered a spot for an easy hunt next month for Axis.
Ron

FWIW the Corp Raider in Chicago, the LaSalle Street Small Business Investment Trust had also bought around this same time the Milwaukee Braves and sold them to "some guy" in Atlanta, bought Berns Wholesale in Denver, a 3 location Spt Goods distributor in the Pacific N'West, and Ellett Bros in Chapin South Carolina.
Ron

RECORDS AT THE FACTORY INDICATE THE FOLLOWINO SERIAL NUMBERS WERE
ASSIGNED TO GUNS AT THE END OF THE CALENDAR YEAR.

78- G1410000
79 - G1447000
80 - G1490709
81- G1537134
82 - G1632872
83 - G1656883

Yours appears to be '82 production, as is mine S/N G154xxxx

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Muffin; 12/28/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by meat sticks
Have 7x57 XTR featherweight. I prefer the CRF rifles, and my favourite of late are the early 2010’s while they where still made in the USA. But that XTR featherweight is a fantastic rifle with excellent fit and finish and it’s more than accurate enough for any hunting I do, and the push feed has never hurt my chances any.

If you want to sell it to buy a CRF version, let me know.

Camp is where you make it.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A couple years ago I got a good deal on a very lightly used (probably less than 50 rnds), 1985 70 XTR fwt in 7X57. I doubt that it had ever been taken afield. Said "problem" now fixed..... the rifle has the dings to prove it. It is now "honest". smile

Shortly after getting it home I found the safety did not work. It had never been factory fitted - needed a cut-out on the striker shaft, which had not been done at the factory. I blew another $100 on a Tubb system and installed it, including making the needed cut-out on that. No improvement in accuracy was noted, either. But I'm not done.

Anyone need an as-new factory striker and spring? Still needs that cut-out, tho.

The barrel channel was exerting pressure in several places, not just the speed bump up forward. I removed the side-pressures first, which helped a bit. Then I full -length bedded it, without much change. But that does seal the barrel channel, and stiffen it. That took a LOT of accraglas, and added an ounce or two of weight, maybe. Next I will free-float the channel to see if that tightens up the 1.5- 1.75 groups with factory ammo.

After that I'll mess with reloading, with the dies and supplies that came with the rifle. Maybe.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.