Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sitka Deer,

Now that I think more about the trip with the bear and hooligan thing, a few thoughts from my memory banks.

I do remember seeing several large River Otters, not more than 200 yards from the kill, as we were skinning the bear a mink came along to see what we were up to, sucker came within a few feet of us as if begging to get skinned also.. I let him know I'm a trapper and he scampered off.

We sorta assumed the blackie was eating the hoolies, but it may have been the other critters..who knows, like I mentioned earlier we never saw any bears eating those tiny fish and there sure was plenty of 'em scattered on the rocks.

In the same cove there is a lake that leads to a glacier and some awesome panoramic views, anyway as I sat glassing the other side of the lake, I saw one of the largest blacks I'd ever laid eyes on, I tell ya he had no ears or legs on 'im, just one huge black ball of fur rolling along the hillside, my bud swears it was a good 7+ footer and I believe him, a few years ago I bagged an honest 6ft 7 in. boar (not stretch measuring mind you) and the bear on the hill looked much larger.

Bearstalker, thanks for the welcome, care to tag along on the deer trip I mentioned a few posts ago? We need 1 more "dude" to make it a raiding party, if we get our deer quick we might have time to stop at the "bear glacier" on the way back to Seward..

Hit me with an email or pm and fill me in on the details. I might tag along, since I got two weeks of free time that I can use from work.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regarding the NC bear mentioned, I believe it was 878 lbs. I also heard it was shot by a hunter perched atop a 5 gallon bucket with a 12 gauge.

It's difficult to imagine how good the forage for blackies is in eastern NC. Lots of commercial hog operations. Square miles of soybeans and corn. Lots of Wildlife sanctuary where they can't be hunted. Acorns and black gum berries. Impenetrable brush and swamp, with plenty of Eastern Diamondbacks to keeps wimps intimidated! No baiting allowed. But they're dang hard to hunt without dogs or access to private land.

PDS: I would love to call in a trophy for anyone, especially my boys! What a memory. Wouldn't mind shooting one myself. You might want to up the bullet weight for your .220 swift when pursuing 800-lb blackies!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I always thought the largest black bears in existence dwelled on Vancouver island. Regardless, I do believe that where there are bears there are always BIG ones around. You may not see them but they are there. Same thing goes for whitetails.

Regards, sse

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 57 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,479,011
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.