Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, and it's gonna be a shooter!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Danny, hate to tell you this but I traded the Bob for a liter of BV and a M700.

First of all Sammers..... Oh no you di-int, girfrend frown

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shoulda called me, I would have given you the 700 and a Half-Gallon of BV for the Bob...
If you left the scope on... wink
That'd be enough to share with Fred...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by DanAdair

I'm making up for it Grampa whistle

Oh, and YOU'LL smoke a turd in hell for THAT!

( Though I am starting to look the part...) wink
Ingwe

Thats awright...

You're old lady looks 20 years younger laugh

You need more cow-dogs and an older Ford before we'll let ya get grumpy though wink

I'm Irish...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shes about ten years younger...
Don't say it! grin
I'm with you on the aging scenario, picked up another cow dog a few years back, you mighta seen this, but heres the trio..
[Linked Image]
Now, about that Ford.... wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BV gives Fred heartburn and he trips over chit otherwise we coulda made a deal...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A two footer where I'm fishing would be a miracle, mostly 13" and 14". The game is what its all about, and light is the way to play. Is there a difference in the performance of the rod, aside from casting, the longer, or shorter you go? I'm eyeballing a Croix 3 WT 8' 6" four piece. Or I could go to the 7'. The rivers I'm fishing aren't 30 ft wide, so casting performance doesn't really matter.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, hell, I told you last night you could share with me!!
For tonight, thats it for me, goin to the lair..
Danny sorry your furlough is over, I'm in the middle of mine, so I'm gonna go tickle the 3 wt. Tomorow..
Night Boys..
Ingwe

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Enjoy the lair.

And have fun fishin' tomorrow!

Nice pic BTW.

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/14/09.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You kinda answered your own question...the longer rods make a delicate dry presentation easier, but your 30 ft. rivers and my creeks I find myself fishing a lot of terrestrials, and frankly they work better if they " splashdown", so the shorter rod and sloppier presentation isn't a hindrance. Besides, I'm not good enough to get the advantage out of a rod that can present a fly " just so"..
A short one would be fun on water that size...say about a 7.5 footer??
Just my 2 cents...
Ingwe

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the info!

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Night gramps...

And yeah, that was the picture I was thinking laugh You said you never took her out of state smile

I'm thinking a beat to chit 79, with a Hydra-Tilt for 2 round bails and you'd be styling

I'm Irish...

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

[Linked Image]

Held it and sighted yesterday.

This rifle needs a longer LOP, and the scope moved forward.

Stock is too short.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Round bails is how I "roll"...sounds perfect!
And I NEVER took her out of state...
So far as you know... whistle
Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
You kinda answered your own question...the longer rods make a delicate dry presentation easier, but your 30 ft. rivers and my creeks I find myself fishing a lot of terrestrials, and frankly they work better if they " splashdown", so the shorter rod and sloppier presentation isn't a hindrance. Besides, I'm not good enough to get the advantage out of a rod that can present a fly " just so"..
A short one would be fun on water that size...say about a 7.5 footer??
Just my 2 cents...
Ingwe

Ingwe and I could make this debate go on for another 161 pages. I like a 9 footer for everything. It's much easier to finesse a longer rod. You have a much higher degree of control all the way around on a 9'er. If the winds calmed down, I can slap a dry down, fly first hard enough to make every fish in a beaver pond look on a creek, or I can belt 50' of line on high mountain lakes and make beautiful presentations. I use different weight floating lines more than I use different rods. I run a 3 wt line a lot on the lakes, with 10-11' leaders if the fish are picky. If I need to soften the rod up to throw 20' loops on creeks with a 7' leader, I'll go a 6 weight. The St Croix I'm running is their super fast action blank. Its a somewhat tempermental rod if you're a newbie, but if you've been fly-fishing half your life and you remember your chops, it'll make you look like a Superman.

The shortest rod I've ever ran was an 8'6"er

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know you fish too much if you start thinking "Waders are Lingerie, right??"

If I wasn't bedding a rifle tomorrow, I'd be putting in below the reservoir and looking for some "Footballs" tomorrow myself laugh

I'm Irish...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Conrad doin' the work? How long can it take to bed the sucker anyways? Go catch a few footballs while the glass is curing.

I'm gonna hit the trail to Mt. Aneus (don't know how to spell that one) this weekend, up above Jewel Basin. Taking a few friends from DC up there for the view (gonna have fun with them city folks for sure...by the time I'm through with them they'll be looking behind every bush for Grizzzzz), but there's a little jewel of a lake and I've always wanted to wet a line and see what she's got. Prolly no footballs though. Sure sucks having to work during the week, I'd rather be playing.

Thinking Georgetown the weekend of the 31st? Whatcha think?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BMT

[Linked Image]

Held it and sighted yesterday.

This rifle needs a longer LOP, and the scope moved forward.

Stock is too short.

For you perhaps. Though you might consider hunting weather vs. mid-July...

LOP On that M7 is just over 13.5". I may go shorter still. For reference purposes only, LOP on my stock Montana is 1/8" SHORTER than that M7 as you handled it, BMT. And LOP on my factory stock XCR is not quite 13.25". Wierd, huh? The overall compactness of a M7 will mess with perception.

As to the rest, I would hope every serious shooter takes the time and spends the money to sort out what works best for them. There are no absolutes when it comes to LOP or scope mounting or trigger pull or flyrod length... To each their own.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! wink

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whip
Conrad doin' the work? How long can it take to bed the sucker anyways? Go catch a few footballs while the glass is curing.

I'm gonna hit the trail to Mt. Aneus (don't know how to spell that one) this weekend, up above Jewel Basin. Taking a few friends from DC up there for the view (gonna have fun with them city folks for sure...by the time I'm through with them they'll be looking behind every bush for Grizzzzz), but there's a little jewel of a lake and I've always wanted to wet a line and see what she's got. Prolly no footballs though. Sure sucks having to work during the week, I'd rather be playing.

Thinking Georgetown the weekend of the 31st? Whatcha think?

Yep... Conrad was the smith on the whole project. He may be a hermit, and slow to get it done if there's any kind of trading involved. He was working on some bottom metal for Lee the other day (I think thats been three years or better now..) I'm pretty much just going to head out there to borrow some modeling clay and a vice (and pay him up)

You talking Black Lake or Birch Lake in Jewell Basin??? Or one of the mud puddles below it. Its been years since I was in there...

Georgetown on the 31st huh?? If nothing [bleep] up at work, and the 'Proll offser will let me, it sounds like a plan.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Ingwe and I could make this debate go on for another 161 pages. I like a 9 footer for everything. It's much easier to finesse a longer rod. You have a much higher degree of control all the way around on a 9'er.

No debate here Danny,I tried to be self-deprecating in my summation, but I'm gonna have to come right out and say it....
I Have no finesse! laugh
As I mentioned, I'm not good enough to get the advantage out of a proper flyrod, ask anyone who has flyfished with me.....
At one point or another they have all ( emphasis on ALL) have remarked...
" You cast like chitt!"
But yeah, I have seen men with only two thumbs ( I've got many...) do really cool stuff with lightweight 9 footers... smile
Ingwe

Page 145 of 173 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,813
Posts18,477,617
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.