Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
MacRabbit,

I read each of those three threads, thank you for providing the links. It sounds like folks are all over the board on the compacts/ultralights. I am thinking I made the right choice with the 2.5-8 VX3.

I will know soon enough. Hopefully I will have a chance to hunt with it before I have to go back to work out of the country. I just need more time...

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Mackay...

I've got a 3-9x50 on both my .223 and my 6x45...

For my bolt calling rigs, I love a 2-7x33 or a 3-9x40 and nothing else. A VX-II optically, IMHO, is one of the best bargains out there right now.

I can't like the "eye box" of the 4-12 power on any scope Leupold makes for some reason.

Their 2-7 or 3-9 offerings are much better...

This one is not "lightweight" but it is also not "heavy"...
This one has a drop in Timney and the .223 above has a McCormick. My AR triggers are better than most of my bolts....grin...

[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
It is strange what works for some in optics is so poor for others. I have a 4x12 VXII on a Tikka .223 and love it. Then again people rave about the MKIV M3 10x scopes as the greatest thing since Kroil and JB bore paste, but I am simply not a fan on many levels.

I think your power choices are perfect for calling rifles though. People often get a coyote calling rifle and a varmint rifle mixed up. They definately have different requirements when it comes to optics.

I think with some of the newer scopes with wider ranges of magnifications available we are moving closer to the "ideal" scope that on its lowest setting can be used for dogs up close and fast as well and rockchucks a few football fields away blending into the rocks. But then size and weight become an issue...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yup...

Trial and error with equipment is the only way to fly. I've got it running smoothly now over the years I've been playing this game...

No more glass than 3-9 on any calling rig for me ever. Folks calling in coyotes with 6-18's I don't think do it very often...

I've settled on my calling glass and I'm happy with it.

3-9x40's or 2-7x33's on bolts and 3-9x50's or x40's on AR's is what I like...

Take care...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gmoney
No more glass than 3-9 on any calling rig for me ever. Folks calling in coyotes with 6-18's I don't think do it very often...

I used to feel the same way but Bushnell's new Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 with Doa Reticle has solved all my scope issues. Twisting way down to 2.5 for those shots where one ends up in your lap before you even see him is easily doable with this scope or seeing one waaaay out there I've found that 16x with the DOA reticle makes those long shots easy.

The scope is moderately expensive but it ended the "long range rifle and scope" PLUS "short range rifle and scope" syndrome I always seemed be get caught in.

Now I have one varmint/coyote rifle for all uses from ultra short range out to LOOOOONG shots and it's actually saved me money and room in my safe.

Here's the scope
http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_elite6500_65-2164b.cfm

Here's the reticle
http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_elite6500_DOA.cfm

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I just busted a longer range dog last night that was hanging out mousing in a field. My friend had informed me that the dogs were hanging out a ways out in the middle of the fields and getting close was tough.

A windstorm came in and made it worse. Long story short, my partner ranged the center pivot at 475 yards that the young dog was standing next to. I dialed on 9.5 minutes of elevation. We waited for a calmer moment with the wind, made a SWAG wind call, held the first mildot into the wind on his nose and let fly. That dumped him. He did require a follow up mercy shot though. My first shot had hit him in the hind quarters.

I was off on my windcall by a full 6 to 8 inches @ 475. Basically I held off 4moa and probably should have held 5.5moa. Hard to call wind in a cut hayfield (thats my excuse).

I looked at my charts this morning in my data book and I am guessing the calm moment of wind was right at 12 mph.

The scope was a 6.5x20 MKIV Leupold. The gun was a Tikka Varmint .308. I have pics and as soon as I figure out how to get them off of my new phone, I will share them.

Every once in a while having a more powerful scope helps when the dogs hang up out there 500 yards or so.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,506
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.