Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a group of 4 and we have drawn an area 42 buck antelope tag. We are willing to hunt public land but would be interested in a trespass hunt if it means we can get away from other hunters.

We are established members of our community and have references available regarding our responsible hunting ethic. We plan to camp and of course will leave "no trace."

Does anyone have a line on some folks that might be willing to let us hunt for a reasonable trespass fee? We could use any help available as we can't get out there before the season starts.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

"The skillful woodsman who knows his game, and who gets close, can keep himself in venison or moose meat with a rifle most of us would consider entirely inadequate." - Jack O'Connor
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You might try calling the local WDFW office, many have lists they will give you of the local landowner/ranchers that allow you to hunt for a fee. I have this list for my area but don't think it includes unit 42. Call them, they are most helpful.
Good luck on your hunt - you will have a great time!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yep, tried that a few weeks ago. I called them and got a list with 3 names. Thought I would try here. Thanks though.

You are certainly right that we will have a good time. We always do. smile

Jim

"The skillful woodsman who knows his game, and who gets close, can keep himself in venison or moose meat with a rifle most of us would consider entirely inadequate." - Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My $.02

Plan your trip during the middle of the week and get out of your truck and hunt more than 200 yards from the two track and you won't see more than 1 or 2 people per day. You'd be suprised how many guys that don't take antelope very seriously.

Use the trespass fee $$ at a meat locker storage for the first three guys that bag a buck.

This is just straight talking and no wise @ss intentions.

Last edited by ScoutinWyo; 06/24/09.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I appreciate the advice. I am thinking the success rate will be high regardless but you advice is certainly well put. We plan to hunt during the week, using the weekend for travel.

Any other thoughts?

Jim

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been hunting area 42 for the last ten years (it's not my first choice but I end up there every year any way). There is not a ton of publis access there, especially in the north above Sheep Creek. There is a big walk in area on the east side on Fetterman road, a big hunter management area off of Marshal road (you'll need to get permission on the Wyo web page). All of area 42 is on the east side of Marshall road but the HMA is on both sides. There is a two square mile walk in area just south of Shhep Creek that always has some antelope. We've always hunted the public stuff and always gotten our antelope but we hunt-meaning we spend a lot of time on our feet. It is suprising how many folks only get out of their trucks to shoot across the hood. Count on walking some in area 42. There is a guy that has access on and around Sheep Creek and has a nice camping area-I don't remember what he charges, but his last name is either Atkins or Atkinson. We pitch a camp in an old sheep corral -there isn't much to stay in other than the Virginian or the Trampas in Medicine Bow. Also, the processing place in Medicine Bow is marginal at best. I'd plan on boning your antelope out and packing them on ice untill you get home. P.M. me if I can help with any other info. Good luck, David

Golden............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just drive around until you see one. Check to make sure no one is in sight. Roll window down and let him have it. Then just drive out and throw him in the box. A lot of that country is open range so you probably won't even need to cut a fence to drive out to him. Most trespass goat hunters do it this way. Just be aware that people love to trespass when hunting goats so you might have to fight the crowds. shocked

Sorry I had to.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
jigman,

not a lot of help, but I certainly appreciate the humor.

Anyone else have any ideas?

JL

Jim

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Jiggman-no you didn't say that! smile Really, a good atlas and a GPS are a lot of help. It's hard to tell private from public so knowing the map and where you are on the map will help a lot. There is a tremendous amount of public land in Wyo. No need to trespass, you'll never be able to hunt all that's available to you.

Golden............
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
TTT - Anyone else?

Jim

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Info on Walk-in areas in Albany County here: http://gf.state.wy.us/plpwhmprogram/frmwalkinhuntingDetail.aspx

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Try the ACCESS YES map on the the WYO G&F website. Nows the time to apply for an access permit. They're free. I got lucky. Got a leftover tag for area 30, thinking it was on Shirley Basin. It wasn't. I started knocking on doors. The first one, rancher gave me access for the hunt 1 week from Oct 15th opener. I am truly grateful. I let him know from the getgo that I am just a meat hunter. A doe or young buck will do fime.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.