Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

I've been trimming most all of my cases .010 short for the last 61 years, for the reasons Al mentions.
I'd don't trim Hornet and Bee cases that far back, but the rest of them I do; rifle caeses that is.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AL,

Excellent post! Good information as well as clarifying what the rest of us have been attempting to say.

Thank you,
M Bell

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Trim them to the proper length otherwise you will get more erosion in the chamber and lose barrel life or so the experts tell me...How much difference in barrel life? who knows~! but trimming to proper length seems an easy enough trade off to me...

This has been the reason that historically folks in the know have used the 270 cases to make 338-06s and 35 Whelens as opposed to the 30-06. The case loses length when expanded and the .270 is longer in the neck than the 06 so you get better case to chamber fit..

I won't argue the point, just passing it on for what its worth.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's why it's only a "rule of thumb".......grin.

As with most things, there's always the exception..........

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I spend many weeks each spring and summer shooting PDogs and gophers........trimming cases to the same length hasn't slowed me down one bit...........wink.

One only needs to buy a Giraud case trimmer or another such type device to realize that you can have both uniformity and as much trigger time as one can stand. Haven't reached that point yet, but I'm workin' on it and not at any expense as to uniformity/accuracy and/or time afield.

As it should be, not everyone's goals are alike, be it accuracy, career goals or golf scores. We all come from such different backgrounds/"places" as well which play into how and why we approach such matters the way that we do...or how we must approach such matters (financial considerations included).

I'm pleased and satisfied with my approach to all types of shooting/handloading while other's are just as pleased and satisfied with their own methods that seem worlds apart from my own....and vice versa. We should be thankful for these different methods/approaches to shooting/handloading, 'cuz these forums either wouldn't exist or would be so boring that many of us would gladly choose to watch paint dry rather than to listen to somebody espouse the exact same methods that we have all used our entire lives.

I'm never above makin' a few changes here and there if it might mean an enhancement in accuracy or a time saving move at the reloading bench. It has happened before and will likely happen again in the future, but not without informative posts on forums such as this.......and not without being different from my own approach to such things.

Good luck...........

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Magnumb,

Your post is excellent! In general, I agree with all that you have covered.

I feel I am careful in my hand-loading but not so fastidious as some like yourself. I play about as "fast and loose" in regards to cleaning primer-pockets as I do to the exact over-all-length of cases, and I quit tumbling brass, to make it clean and shiny, a long time ago.

As you said, we do not all have exactly the same goals, and we come from a variety backgrounds; I think this makes the forum vastly more informative and interesting than it would be otherwise!

Here's wishing you some more good days in the gopher and prairie-dog patches before winter is with us once again. smile

M Bell

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
.....and my best to you when either afield or wherever you might find yourself enjoying our sport.......smile.

Best Regards,

magnumb

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

They don't HAVE to be trimmed to the same length but consistency sure won't hurt accuracy.

Exactly--all cases don't grow the same each firing/resizing......I'm not overly obsessive about neck tension, but having the same neck length/surface area gripping the bullet can't hurt.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,771
Posts18,495,708
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.