Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=3770356#post3770356

Found this on another site I visit and just wanted to pass this along in case anyone is thinking about ordering a gun stock

You can call me what ever you want to, just don't call me late for dinner.
HR IC

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I would say that unless this actually happened to you in the other site's posting, you should keep your nose out of it. That is a very reputable company and you are only reading one side of the story. There are enough gunstock fitting wannabe's that don't have a clue what a semi-inletted stock is. Henry Pohl will fit a stock to your barrelled action if it is in his possession, other wise it is semi-inletted. Only a moron would think he was buying a drop-in with no work for fitting. Get the whole story or drop it.

"Use a big enough gun!"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I ordered a hs stock from them and got a nice stock, fast handling/shipping!!!

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by RugerNo3
I would say that unless this actually happened to you in the other site's posting, you should keep your nose out of it. That is a very reputable company and you are only reading one side of the story. There are enough gunstock fitting wannabe's that don't have a clue what a semi-inletted stock is. Henry Pohl will fit a stock to your barrelled action if it is in his possession, other wise it is semi-inletted. Only a moron would think he was buying a drop-in with no work for fitting. Get the whole story or drop it.

Well this guy posted the troubles he had and then another member also found multiple post from another website of other people with the same problem, doesn't sound like an isolated incident to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's really best to talk about your personal experiences and knowledge. The reliabilty of third hand information sucks...............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have done business with them multiple times even swapped a stock just because i changed my mind I ll do more business with them in the future good customer service

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
10-4 my bad, just thought I'd pass this along, to each there own.Hope nothing bad happens to ya'll in the future.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Henry Pohl's defense. Here is one he did for me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm not going to rag on the original poster but will say there are 2 sides to every story.

Terry

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's actually on of my favs, along with the Husky with the Husky patterned stock.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a good looking gun but too heavy for my tastes. I didn't keep it long.

Terry

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great American Gunstocks doesn't routinely build drop-in stocks. They are SEMI-inletted, which means you need to spend a few hours chiseling away at them for the perfect fit. I got my maple stock for my .264 from them and will buy from them again.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Several years ago I bought a xfancy black walnut stock from GA, that Henry said was in inventory. I got a piece of barn wood 3 months later. Returned it to GA and they kept promicing a refund but it never happened. Luckly I had charged it on a credit card so I got my money back from them. If I did business with them it would be on a credit card.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As soon as I saw "gunstock" and "beware" I thought "I wonder if they are talking about Great American". Sure enough. I bought a couple of stocks from Henry fifteen years ago. Ordered extra fancy, got popsicle stick. Returned it. Got second stock, was extra fancy wood, but had a deep gouge where sloppy cutting around the cheek piece would have required sanding 1/4" of wood to remove. Sent it back. Third stock was popsicle stick again. Henry said I was too "persnickety" just because I wanted a stock that was 1) the grade of wood ordered and 2) not a manufacturing reject. Sent third stock back, was promised refund, never got it, had to get CC company involved.

Don't know the details of other people's transactions but the complaints sound similar to mine - wrong grade, poor workmanship, broken promises. Sounds like nothing has changed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experiance sucked with this turd also. Still have not got a refund as promised for the piece of extra fancy firewood I sent back. The statement that this turd is a very reputable company must have been a joke.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It does help if you know how to shape a rough turned blank into a stock. Every stock I've ever bought from him was a send back from someone who said it wouldn't work.

Terry

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Only one experience with Great American Gunstocks.
It wasn't good...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
It does help if you know how to shape a rough turned blank into a stock. Every stock I've ever bought from him was a send back from someone who said it wouldn't work.

Terry

I do know, I have done and the stock I returned would have been graded as a second by any reputable firm. I'm sure that there was a usable stock in there somewhere, but by the time I sanded out the gouge it would have been easier to carve a new stock from scratch.

The TWO stocks I sent back as the wrong grade had ZERO, zip, nada grain, fiddleback, anything. They wouldn't have qualified as semi-fancy, much less EXTRA fancy.

Perhaps our opinions differ because you haven't seen my stocks and I have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (163bc, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 57 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,990
Posts18,499,895
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.