Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't know the proper forum to post this, so I will give it a try here. I purchased a stock for a rifle a year and a half ago from Great American Gunstocks and upon arrival it was not as advertised. The figure in the wood as quoted to me was non-existant, and the inletting was atrocious, to the point where there were gaps in the floorplate area approaching a quarter inch! It was just not right. I spoke with the owner, and was instructed to send it back for a full refund. Upon doing so I have been given the basic run around...."I have not received it yet"..."Oh yes you have...I have the UPS confirmation on date of delivery and who signed for it" I told him. He later agreed and promised to get my money out to me by "This Friday"....this Friday was back in October. Repeated phone calls always proudce a shuffling of papers noise in the background, and "Oh yeah, I see your letter on my desk...I'll get to it this week"....which has been total BS. I am sick of the runaround and wonder if anybody has any suggestions????

Thanks in advance!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ran into a similar situation with that guy years ago...I just hounded him till I wore him down...then of course never did business with him again...and never reffered him to anyone..
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds like a company lacking scruples or in financial distress.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had a simular problem but had charged it on my credit card so they gave me a refund.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by djs
Sounds like a company lacking scruples or in financial distress.

Try both.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks....I suppose it will become a contest of wills here...who can last the longest. Of course, he has my stock and my $....damn!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a similar problem with "Eric Brooks" (an alias) at CZ452.com. I finally got a refund after I contacted the local chief of police and the state's attorney general. I would also refer them to this link where they can see that someone else has had the same problem, and send them copies of the correspondence and tracking info.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If any part of the transaction, like your initial payment for instance, was via US Mail, the actions might constitute Postal Fraud, which Postal Inspectors will jump on like the hounds of hell, if/when a complaint is lodged with them, after you provide all the details, particulars and receipts.

If it was all via internet transactions & UPS shipments, then it may constitute Internet Fraud, something the US Dept of Justice is interested in persuing.

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

It certainly wouldn't hurt your case to let him know that you are now going to actively persue these avenues for his prosecution.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the same problem several years ago. Took me over two years to get 50% back and that is only because I wouldn't "let it go". Call and tell Henry you are going to file a complaint for deceptive trade practices with the State Attorney General's office if you don't have you money in "X" days. Then follow with a letter saying the same thing. No money, then file the complaint which you can do on-line. It may not get you your money back, but I guarantee it will get his attention.

Good luck.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have heard the same thing for years about the lack of quality and problems getting money refunded from this guy.
Paying with a credit card and using USPS would be helpful in the cover your a$$ department.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WTF
using USPS would be helpful in the cover your a$$ department.
Nope. There is absolutely NO added insurance with the use of the USPS.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've seen Great American Gunstocks at gunshows and examined their stocks - disappointing.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Godogs57
Just make a copy of this thread and send it to Great Amer. Gunstocks...
Tell the little bastard that you are going to take legal action if you don't see your money with in 10 days...Then TAKE LEGAL ACTION..don't wimp out!

Also forward a link to this thread in a e-mail to them..

salesgunstock.com

Last edited by Nrut; 07/19/09.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't think threats work with Henry and Great American. There are so many people after them that they just don't seem to care. I had my problem with them, asked Henry to make it right and he promised over and over to do it, but I finally had to turn it over the credit card company for resolution.

I'd skip the threat and go right to filing the complaints. It's a shame that they continue to stay in business. If you've had a good experience with them, thank your lucky stars. But, with all their customer issues, I don't know how you could think of giving them repeat business or recommend them to anyone.

Last edited by Levers; 07/19/09.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you're determined, do the following:

Write him a short letter with key dates and transactions, and tell him that if your money is not in your hands within X days (usually mail transit time plus a week), you will file suit. Send the letter USPS, certified mail, return receipt requested. This is called a "demand letter" and is a necessary prerequisite for a successful suit.

If you don't get your money, and you probably won't, then file a small claims suit against him in the county seat of his county of residence. This will probably cost you about $50 or so. In most states, neither party can bring an attorney to the proceedings.

You'll get a court date set, and he'll get a summons. Now things are much more serious than just you pestering him for money. It's his local sheriff. Send him another demand letter telling him that the price of settlement is now your filing money plus what he already owes you.

He probably still won't pay.

When the court date comes up, be there. Odds are, he won't be. In any case, be prepared to show that there was a contract, that he breached the contract, that the breach caused you a loss. The person with the documentation wins. Be prepared to show canceled checks, credit card records, and postal receipts. You will win, hands down.

Now you are halfway home. You have a judgment. Now you have the right to seize cash in any of his bank accounts or out of his bank deposit bag at work. If you're patient, you will get your money back.

If his state has a very active Consumer Protection operation going on, they may be able to bring some pressure to bear short of the small claims suit. Chances of getting your money are less, but it is a lot less work. In this case, getting a lot of other people to simultaneously complain might help. But if he's out of money, it probably reduces your share of what he can pay out.

You're probably outside the filing window for getting help from your credit card company. If that would work, it is by far the easiest method.

Good luck.

Last edited by denton; 07/19/09.

Be not weary in well doing.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Levers
I don't think threats work with Henry and Great American. There are so many people after them that they just don't seem to care. I had my problem with them, asked Henry to make it right and he promised over and over to do it, but I finally had to turn it over the credit card company for resolution.

I'd skip the threat and go right to filing the complaints. It's a shame that they continue to stay in business. If you've had a good experience with them, thank your lucky stars. But, with all their customer issues, I don't know how you could think of giving them repeat business or recommend them to anyone.

They only need to find new fish, not repeat business.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Involve the places he advertises. Include copies of this thread and the other threads mentioned. The less he advertises the fewer victims he can create and the sooner he starves.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I did as denton said on another deal that went sour that wasn't with great amer gunstock but the circumstances were similar. After getting served the papers by the Sherriff, I had a check in the mail. Lost the $50 but what the heck.
dan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
[
They only need to find new fish, not repeat business.

That's why these kind of posts are so important. This company won't be getting any business from a lot of people that would be clueless without this thread.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (35, alwaysoutdoors, 7887mm08, Bigd7378, Anaconda, 10 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,544
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.