Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Forster BR stuff is #1; if you're looking for more "standard" dies Redding.

I love the Lee Collet Neck Sizer but their other stuff isn't so great to me.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boomtube

Well, I agree there are two better seaters - Foster and Redding - but from what I know of the very high priced RCBS "competition" seaters, they are no better for concintricity than common seaters.

Hey boomtube

I have to disagree. I have multiple RCBS Competition seaters and Redding Competition Seaters and prefer the RCBS Competition seaters. They are comparable to the Redding Seaters and I do measure runout with the Bersin. I prefer the RCBS because of the side loading which starts the bullet inline with the neck. The RCBS Gold Medal Match are even better than the Competition seaters and are better than the Redding Competition Series. This is from thousands of rounds loaded and tested.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't use LEE unless I could not get Redding,Forster or RCBS.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DixieFreedomz
WOW! Bunch o Lee haters! In any case...

Thanks for the replies!

But could someone please explain from a machinist and engineering perspective with technical facts as to why you don't like Lee?

For the record, I own dies from all of the popular manufacturers-from Lee to Wilson, the only exception is I've never owned Dillon dies.....

The best description of Lee equipment I've heard:
"Lee, fantastic engineering, middling quality control, questionable materials."

The one exception is the Lee Clasic Cast Press--a great press. And inexpensive.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Lee's lowest level press (from their Anniversary Set) for calibers up to 416 Rem Mag without a problem. I swear by their collet dies and factory crimp die. Their prices are terrific.

The only documented problem I've seen for myself is with their progressive presses.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But could someone please explain from a machinist and engineering perspective with technical facts as to why you don't like Lee?

I don't like dies using collets to hold the expander rod,because I have had problems with them slipping.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are collets and then there are collets,you should see the difference between my Bosch and Dewalt routers.The Lee collet grips better than the Hornady. I like collets as they center better. I noticed Lee has picked up my comment in their latest cataloque. The Lees work fine if you remove all oil as in Morse taper drills.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forster BR dies.........best bullet seater around.

The only Lee dies I'll use are the collet neck sizer & their crimping die for pistols.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DixieFreedomz
If you can't find Lee dies which brand do you settle for as a close second?

Actually I do it the other way, Hornady,RCBS,Lyman etc, then if and only if I get really desperate will I go with Lee's dies.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
RCBS has always been my first choice and mostly my only choice after working with redding, lee, hornady and lyman.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
1) Forster 2) Redding 3) Hornady 4) RCBS 5) Lee

I haven't used Lymans in 30+ years so I don't have an opinion about them.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have all kinds of dies and after buying a casemaster and checking runout, forester is the hands down winner. I wonder if mine is an isolated case of one or a trend. With 18 calibers and rcbs,pacific, hornaday,lee,c&h, redding,lyman etc. I find it odd that my 270wsm forester dies have less than half the runout of any of the others.

Thanks Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only trend azrancher is noticing is that Forster dies have a trend of producing GREAT ammo!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1234, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,873
Posts18,497,594
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.