Print Thread
Hop To
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am looking for reviews, the good, bad and ugly on Centennial Outfitters and Shining Times Outfitting. Both offer public land elk hunting in Montana.

Thanks,

Scott

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SWJ: I live near the Centennial Valley here in SW Montana and I am and avid Hunter of Mule Deer, Bear, Whitetail Deer and Antelope - and then when I'm done with them I Hunt Elk - often in the Centennial Valley.
I killed a nice 6x6 Bull VERY near the Centennial Valley 4 years ago.
I can NOT recommend Hunting Elk anywhere near the Centennial Valley though, anymore!
The overabundance of Wolves have the Elk Hunting literally in TURMOIL thereabouts!
The Wolves have the Elk that are left herded up on large private ranches where 98% of the time no Hunting is allowed!
This leads to "firing line" type "HUNTS" (if you can call them Hunts?) and "gauntlet" type firing into running herds of Elk!
Last year I refused to partake of this situation and then over the winter and spring attended three different sportsmen vs. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks meetings to try to resolve this horrific and recently developing situation!
DON'T be fooled when you are told there "are lots of Elk" - there are still fair numbers of Elk, but they are not in a sporting type Hunting situation, in over 95% of that area, anymore.
Question the Centennial folks VERY carefully and THEN very pointedly, regarding this "firing line" type Hunting near ranches.
Archery Hunting thereabouts in September is not quite as bad but I still wish there were not so many Wolves chasing, eating, disturbing and stressing the Elk in this area!
And, I wish I had a better report for you!
At one of the meetings I attended this spring a Warden Biologist disclosed to us sport Hunters that he was going to have to "diminish significantly" the numbers of Moose tags in several areas here in SW Montana - the Centennial is not where I apply for Moose so I don't recall specifically if that areas quota was one of the diminished human Hunting areas for Moose.
I assume it was, though, due to the numbers of Wolves there.
We are supposed to have "another" Wolf Hunt hereabouts in September BUT we were supposed to have one last September and the greens, of course, obstructed that Hunt!
Heres how BAD the Wolf situation/population is here in Montana!
The Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks 2,008 Wolf census shows there were a MINIMUM of 497 Wolves in MONTANA ALONE, in 2,008!
Its now 2,009 and the Wolves are increasing at a 34% rate, per year!
Remember the "greens" promised a MAXIMUN of 325 Wolves TOTAL in all of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming put together!
Even the "greens" admitted that once the Wolves attained a population in EXCESS of 325 Wolves TOTAL in the three states (Montana, Idaho & Wyoming) that then Big Game herd populations would be "adversely affected" - we have LONG since passed that threshold!
We are sitting at 7 times that "recommended number of Wolves!
Again I wish I had better news for you but I don't.
About 6 years ago there was a "Centennial Outfitters" that operated out of the tiny town (population 25) of Lakeview in the Centennial Valley. I knew a guide from that outfit. The Outfitter went bankrupt and left all his gear up in the mountains at the last camp site of the year.
My friend was given permission to go in and "salvage" any and everything from that campsite.
I bought some of the salvaged gear from him.
I do not know the particulars of that "bankruptcy" nor if it is the same Centennial Outfitters come back to life.
Best of luck in your Elk pursuits!
I have not heard of the "Shining Times" outfit.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,097
Posts18,502,051
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.