Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
too bad not one chambers in a bolt there BT.
Again, HUH????!!!!! I suppose your logic also dictates that with Pontiac headed for the graveyard there won't be any more automobiles. NULA, Montana Rifleman, Cooper, Dakota, and any-damned-gunsmith can put together a 7x57mm and any-damned-barrel maker can install a 7x57mm tube on an appropriately sized action. And I doubt Ruger's catalog will be without a 7x57mm Model 77 for any appreciable length of time.

I'm sure glad I didn't listen to you when I had a .250-3000 put together three years ago.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you have for a 250 Savage there Bricktop?

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite is the 7x57 and I have owned maybe a dozen different rifles over the years (I think 6 at the moment). Ironically all have been Swedish made Husqvarna rifles. I shoot either Norma factory 150 gr. loads or hotter handloads using 150 gr. Nosler Partitions.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by orion03
What do you have for a 250 Savage there Bricktop?
I had a Remington 700 BDL LH re-barreled from .243 to .250-3000 by Shilen a couple of years back. And I also have a classic .250-3000 rig -- a Model 99 Savage with a Stith-mounted Weaver J2.5.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogger
Big Redhead, your 6.5x55 really needs to take a deer down with the Hornady 160 grain bullet. Ditto your 7x57 with a 175... we look forward to the field reports. smile

Dogger, you happen to be half-way in luck. I say half-way because I have not yet tried the Hornady 6.5mm 160 grain, but I have killed several with the 7mm 175 grain. It clobbers the deer. The first was last fall in a heavy snow storm. My son and I were sitting in a ground blind between two rows of pines, at the end of the row. The son was watching down the row, and I was trying to cover the ends. A deer stepped out the end of the next row over and walked broadside to us at about 20 yards, oblivious to our presence. The 175 grain Hornady went in the ribcage tight to the shoulder and out the opposite side ribacage leaving a gaping hole. The deer went about 50 yards leaving blood that looked like it was dumped from a bucket. Nothing like "kosher" deer (except for that cloven hoof thingy). smile We have killed several more with the 175 Hornady since then and all have been spectacular kills.

Can't wait to try the Hornady 6.5mm 160 grain RN. Are they still a current-production item? It seems like I have read that they were discontinued. Hope not.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Hornady .264 160gr roundnose is still a production item as well as a .268 160gr roundnose. The .264 160gr that did go out of productionwas the 160gr semipointed Sierra. I bought the last and only box(100)that I have seen.

You can't miss fast enough to win!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Again, HUH????!!!!! I suppose your logic also dictates that with Pontiac headed for the graveyard there won't be any more automobiles. NULA, Montana Rifleman, Cooper, Dakota, and any-damned-gunsmith can put together a 7x57mm and any-damned-barrel maker can install a 7x57mm tube on an appropriately sized action. And I doubt Ruger's catalog will be without a 7x57mm Model 77 for any appreciable length of time.

I'm sure glad I didn't listen to you when I had a .250-3000 put together three years ago.

Bricktop try to wrap your mind around the concept that my comment was directed toward the popularity of the round compared to the 7-08. Me thinks you protest too much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Bricktop try to wrap your mind around the concept that my comment was directed toward the popularity of the round compared to the 7-08. Me thinks you protest too much.
You stated that the 7x57mm was no longer chambered, did you not? Very typical from you. tired

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Broketip its good we have you here to keep track of everything!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop...Me thinks you protest too much.

The "Ignore" feature works very well in this case.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Don't go too far... my 6 yr old cracks up every time he sees BT's avatar...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
From time to time I hear folks say that x number in caliber cross section can't possibly make any differnce in killing/stopping power but in reality that does not compute as far as I am concerned..It appears to me to make a big difference. Take into consideration that most all double rifle calibers shoot at about the velocity and the "best", for lack of a better word, killers are absolutly the bigger bores.

I base that on my own experience in that for instance there is little balistic difference in my .338 and 375 in that both shoot a 300 gr. bullet at 2500 FPS the way I load them, but on buffalo I can tell the difference and the .375 kills them faster..Also I can tell the difference in a 350 gr. .375 cal and the 350 gr. 40 caliber at the same velocity as the 40 caliber kills best, or so it appears to me. I am not saying that one will not kill and the other one will, they both get the job done but with a larger cross section of bullet, I am of the opinnion that the larger will kill quicker..

I won't argue the point, but I won't conceed otherwise as that has been my personal experience. I know a number of PHs that are of the same opine but to even a more extent than mine, they swear by it.

Last edited by atkinson; 07/27/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
From time to time I hear folks say that x number in caliber cross section can't possibly make any differnce in killing/stopping power but in reality that does not compute as far as I am concerned..It appears to me to make a big difference. Take into consideration that most all double rifle calibers shoot at about the velocity and the "best", for lack of a better word, killers are absolutly the bigger bores.

I base that on my own experience in that for instance there is little balistic difference in my .338 and 375 in that both shoot a 300 gr. bullet at 2500 FPS the way I load them, but on buffalo I can tell the difference and the .375 kills them faster..Also I can tell the difference in a 350 gr. .375 cal and the 350 gr. 40 caliber at the same velocity as the 40 caliber kills best, or so it appears to me. I am not saying that one will not kill and the other one will, they both get the job done but with a larger cross section of bullet, I am of the opinnion that the larger will kill quicker..

I won't argue the point, but I won't conceed otherwise as that has been my personal experience. I know a number of PHs that are of the same opine but to even a more extent than mine, they swear by it.

I can only imagine that it makes a difference on dangerous game, but I have never hunted those critters - except for wounded black bears , and I like a SXS for them.
I use my rifles mainly for deer and moose, and bithe fall down dead about the same way with either a 160 SMP out of the 6.5X55, or a 160 Game King out of the 7X57.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Big Redhead, thanks for the feedback! I am not sure if the 160 grainers remain in production with Hornady... I recall reading several years ago (I believe in Rifle Magazine) a very entertaining article by Ross Seyfried about how a lady client used the 160 grainer in an old rifle to take an elk. I believe the velocities were very moderate, the range was reasonable, and the elk was 4 hooves up in short order. I no longer have a 6.5, but I do have a 7x57, along with a box of Speer 175 grain Grand Slams begging to be used on something. Your feedback gives me just the push I need!!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I used to own a Mannlicher carbine in 6.5x54mm which shot 160-gr bullets very well, although at rather anemic velocities. I loaded 129-gr bullets in it, but the original owner used RN 160-gr for years for his woods deer rifle.

His "big rifle" was another Mannlicher MCA carbine in .30-06.

I sold the 6.5x54 to a friend, who took it to Africa along with his .318 WR and .404 Jeffery. He shot a half dozen antelope stone dead with the Mannlicher.

Try the 160-gr Sierra GK SPBT in the 7x57, and for a tougher bullet, the Sierra GK HPBT - accurate, excellent ballistics, with good terminal velocity and energy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys, you will probably be surprised at the performance of the 175 grain Hornady from an accurate 7x57, and quite likely pleased. It is not necessary to shoot 52,345 fps to kill deer. The 175 Hornady at 2400 fps muzzle velocity does so amazingly well, even at 200 yards or more, and it shoots plenty flat enough for that application. Every bullet drops.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Just because someone can kill an elk or whatever with a lesser caliber proves nothing yet we still use it for an example..I have shot a number of elk, Mule Deer and Whitetail with the 25-35 Win and a large number of deer with the 22 L.R. That does not mean they are viable big game calibers, they are not except under very controled conditions by someone that is willing to pass up all but the perfect shot, and is willing to let most of the sighted animals just walk off into the sunset!!

Today I use a .338 Win.for most all of my elk hunting and at least a 30-06 or a 7x57 as minimum..Will the 6.5x57 do the job, I suppose it will, but with more reservations than my .338 Win.

The point I am stressing is give yourself every "edge" you can when hunting elk on todays public hunting grounds, as you may only get one window of opertunity, you better use that shooter wisely as Tom Selleck said in Quigley Down Under! smile smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have two 6.5x55 and 7x57 rifles. In my older years (64) I have realized that these cartridges are accurate, adequately powerful and field sufficient for almost all of the hunting that I do. I have hunted deer, antelope, caribou, black bear and elk as well as the european reh and hogs on several continents. I no longer need the recoil and weight of the more powerful cartridges, although i own and shoot them. I also like the 270/280 and really like the 7SAUM. My Ruger #1K1A in 6.5x55 will be with me on every hunt for many years to come (I hope).

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot another doe last night with my Ruger M77MkII in 7x57. This time the load was a 145 grain Speer Hot-Cor over 46 grains of H (from Speer #13). The range was about 275 yards across a soy bean field. The bullet went through both shoulders blowing apart the heart and lungs on the way through. The deer ran NOWHERE! It was the coolest shot of the year so far. All the various sights and sounds were there, including the fireball at the muzzle, bean plants blowing down in front, and "BOOM-ssssssssss-THWACK." My buddy just said "Down." Can't wait to see the footage.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you guys are already deer hunting up there now? Life stinks for me I have to wait until September!

Last edited by jimmyp; 07/30/09.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.