Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I skimmed through the "Which Barrel is best" thread in the ask the gun writers forum and decided to look at the Krieger web site. In the Calibers and prices page there is the following line at the bottom of the page: "It is inadvisable to use stainless steel in very cold temperatures, i.e. less than zero degrees."

Only one question, Why? I'm in the thinking stages of a parts gun project and had thought of using stainless steel in a gun that would go up north. That line got me scratching my head.

Scott

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's bullschitt for the most part. Plenty of folks in the north using SS barrels in light contours.

MtnHtr

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any thoughts as to why? I doubt Krieger would just put up a statement based on opinion or preference. May have to email them and get it from them. I suspect there are quite a few SS rigs running around AK and Canada.

Scott

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
It's bullschitt for the most part.

That pretty much sums it up. For better and worse Krieger takes those minuscule chances to heart. They also won't throat separate from chambering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guess it depends on which barrel maker you want to go with. Here is what Dan Lilja has to say.

Dan Lilja

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SWJ
Any thoughts as to why?
Scott

It's been stated by others the owner is pushing that weird policy, although their employees don't necessarily agree with it.

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW, I've hunted a lot in cold temperatures. A bison at -44 degrees with a hot-loaded 300Wby and a stainless barrel for instance. Lots of deer and coyote hunting at -20 and -30 degrees. I think it's a bunch of hooey.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Back when I was working on nuke plants this was standard stuff, not to pressurize unless the pressure vessel and system were above the Nil Ductility Transition Temperature -- temperature where the steel becomes brittle. I have not seen any published limits for the steels used in barrels, but that would be the source of Krieger's limit.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to ask the question a different way...

Why would a barrel company make a barrel in a condition they believed was disfunctional or destructible at temperatures below zero Fahrenheit? That seems pretty silly, at least in North America.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Upon building my custom I came across the same question with Kreiger because I wanted a #3 contour in SS, and kreiger only would sell me a chrome-moly. Krieger loses so much business because the owner refuses to sell SS and believes CM is better for frigid temps,ect.

After speaking with guys here, and couple top gunsmith's, I decided not to buy CM because it will inherit rust & corrosion quicker {Although Kreiger told me to just keep oil on it at all times}. I hunted in northern SK {25 below 0}in 2005 and my SS Tikka shot accurate and never had a problem,plus no surface rust!

I like SS. Do a google search and will find lots of info on the subject.

Last edited by slg888; 07/05/09.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This topic has been discussed here before, and now, as then, it is a fact that martensitic stainless steels exhibit reduced ductility at lower temperatures.

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
HunterJim and Journeyman,

What you all and Krieger are saying is when it's below zero degree's Fahrenheit stainless steel barrels become more brittle than they would be at 75 degrees and that certain contours could be unsafe because of the change in the physical characteristics of the barrel?

I'll use the search function and try not to rehash old arguments.

Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I work in a plant where we make liquified natural gas, all the piping for cryogenics is stainless. This ranges from -230 degrees F to -250 degrees F. Pressures are nowhere near what a gun barrel sees but I also know that we cannot use regular iron pipe for cryogenics because it will crack. So I am a little confused by these statements. I am not an engineer either so maybe there is more to this.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Stainless is a pretty broad term that covers many formulations of steel having different physical characteristics.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RickF
FWIW, I've hunted a lot in cold temperatures. A bison at -44 degrees with a hot-loaded 300Wby and a stainless barrel for instance. Lots of deer and coyote hunting at -20 and -30 degrees. I think it's a bunch of hooey.

x2 what RickF said. All my rifles are eiher factory Sako / Tikka ss barrels or 2 PacNor ss barrels. No problems here in northern Alberta hunting big game. Took my cow elk last year @ -33 degree Celcius with my Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with factory barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I know is that Remington, Ruger, and also Shilen make barrels from stainless steels which work really well when cooled way down. That includes the skinny Model Sevens from Rem as well as deep and squarely fluted Shilens. And I suspect 90 grains of propellant in the 340 ought to get the pressures "up there" as enough of a test.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Agreed, but I wanted to know about rifle barrels. I'll let someone with more metallurgy knowledge worry about nuclear reactors and high pressure tanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i think kreiger is OVERLY cautios.

they will not make a bbl in ss smaller than a #5,
just about every other major mfg does.

i have never seen that warning anywhere else either...have you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HunterJim and Journeyman,

What you all and Krieger are saying is when it's below zero degree's Fahrenheit stainless steel barrels become more brittle than they would be at 75 degrees and that certain contours could be unsafe because of the change in the physical characteristics of the barrel?

What I'm saying is that martensitic stainless steels show decreased ductiliy at lower temperatures. Krieger is saying THEIR barrels shouldn't be used below zero.

And no - this is due to mechanical properties, not physical...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have never seen that warning anywhere else either...have you?

Yes, I have - in every mechanics of materials text I've ever perused, on Boots Obermeyer's (the "Dean of Barrel Makers") site, as well as Krieger's, and on Crucible Metals (who provide the majority of 416 barrel steel) site...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,459
Posts18,529,130
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.