Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
toad Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
i bought one of these a few years ago, and like it a lot. very clean, simple and quiet with no buckle to bonk the stock. it is one of those "why diddn't i think of this" items. anyway, the store i bought this from doesn't have them any more, but i stumbled on the maker's web site and bought a enough for all of my favorite rifles. these are strong, and easy to adjust. my old one has a lot of miles on it without any complaints.

Montana Slings

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

toad
Do you make these things?

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
toad Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
no. those are my rifles, but i bought those slings from the web site. the design IS NOT MY IDEA.

i get the ones with the chicago screws so i can change sling swivels if i want. the other option is sewn on to the swivel on the butt end.

i have never met the guy that makes these, but i have talked with him via email. seems like a good guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the information.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one as well I trade it from rifle to rifle as it has become my favorite. I need to pick up a few more. thanks for the link

Goodnight Chesty Puller... Wherever you are.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought mine from Cabela's. Good sling.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got one. It's a good sling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's the old style Montana Sling. The current design is produced by IST Designs. (Either version is a great sling.)

http://www.istdesigns.com/Outfitter...o-the-triple-wrap-knot-sling-design.html

http://www.istdesigns.com/Latest-Products/New-Outfitter-Sling-Rifle-and-Shotgun-Slings.html

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
T
toad Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
i don't think so. click my link above. the slings in my picture are Montana slings ordered on 4/13/'09 and shipped on 4/14/'09.

i have no experience with the ITS slings but they appear to have no connection to Montana slings. i may be wrong, tho.

here is a current picture from the Montana slings web site:

Montana slings

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am probably wrong, but it seems I recollect that IST originally marketed the Montana Sling. Maybe the designer had a falling out with IST and retained the trademark.

The Outfitter by IST is a good design as well.

I have one of each and like them both, but the swivels on the IST are the best I've used.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toad
i don't think so. click my link above. the slings in my picture are Montana slings ordered on 4/13/'09 and shipped on 4/14/'09.

i have no experience with the ITS slings but they appear to have no connection to Montana slings. i may be wrong, tho.

here is a current picture from the Montana slings web site:

Montana slings

[Linked Image]
No, they're of the same lineage. As JB in SC pointed out, the IST-produced sling used to be marketed as the Montana Sling as well. I first learned about them in Field & Stream about two years ago; Dave Petzal had a short blurb about them. Brownell's originally sold the original version, while Midway sold the IST version. The IST biothane sling I bought from Midway a little over a year ago came packaged as a "Montana Sling." It's only been within the last year or so that IST had to remove references of the Montana Sling from their Web site and literature.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here, I found this:

"SLINGS
Montana Slings. This brand isn't new to the market, but a new "biothane" sling -- made from tough polyester that's wrapped in soft synthetic material -- will soon debut alongside the leather versions that have won accolades in recent years.

Unique to the Montana Sling is its Triple Wrap Knot that allows for fast and easy adjustment. Compatible with rifles using swivel studs, the slings sport quality detachable Talon swivels and come in 1-inch and 1�-inch widths. The Cobra model has a wider, padded shoulder piece.

The biothane sling works particularly well in cold, wet weather, according to Norm Comfort of IST Designs, which sells Montana Slings.

Its length allows you to sling your weapon over the shoulder or cross-body, while the knot slides far enough to tighten for easier storage or transport. It sells for $39 ($59 for the Cobra model) and has a lifetime guarantee.

See www.istdesigns.com, or call (888) 478-6565."

http://www.armytimes.com/offduty/technology/ONLINE.GEAR.DUALUSE/

Go to page 8 of this PDF:

http://deerhuntersofidaho.com/DHIweb/template/Fall2005.pdf

T
toad Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Bricktop: i stand corrected. there does seem to have been (or still be) a connection.

still good slings and among my favorite gun stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Pat Sinclair is the man behind them. Real good guy and a hell of a mule deer hunter.

Great slings too...

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Pat Sinclair is the man behind them. Real good guy and a hell of a mule deer hunter.

Great slings too...

Pat is a good friend of mine, as well. I would trust my life to Pat.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Great slings too...

Pat is a good friend of mine, as well. I would trust my life to Pat.

Steve

Pat is a friend of a friends. You know a guy named Matt U. from Missoula? I think his handle on here is shortside.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, Pat is the man behind these slings, and is one outstanding individual in many respects. Spends enough time in the filed to make anyone else seem green in comparrison.

Pat knows good gear, accurate rifles, game, and how to make an excellent sling... which he does. I have a half dozen or more in brown, tan, black, 1". 1.25", you get the idea... I have even been known to buy them as gifts for good friends.

Shortside

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi guys, I've been wanting to order one of these slings for a while now and not sure which one to get. Which do you recommend for a Kimber 8400 Classic? how about a Marlin 1894 lever gun? 1" vs 1.25", chicago screws or not? Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would get the 1.25" sling for any gun over 8.5 lbs. I like the 1" model for my lighter rifles.

The Chicago Screws allow replacement of the swivels, assuming you can figure out how to undo/redo the unique knot. I can get it done, but many cannot.

I am running premium 1-piece swivels on my slings, as I havte the Uncle Mike's swivel sqeek.

Shortside

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Matt for the kind words!!

FYI: WE are not associated with IST Designs. Our company is Sinclair Manufacturing LLC. montanagunslings.com

Hope everyone has a good fall....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
C
C
I just bought a Montana sling yesterday at Cabela's and I love it. I researched quite a few slings before settling on this one and I love the durability. it's also a very practical sling. I ended up getting the 1.25" sling for my Browning A-Bolt. if I ever have the funds to get a lever gun i'm gonna go with the 1" version next.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got the 1" today, and it's the best money I've ever spent! Looks good on every gun I have. grin The knot is great for adjusting. It's very comfortable. 10 stars!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's the type I use and I myself really like them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just put a Montana sling on a rifle and like the sling a lot.

As Toad said, it's simple, elegant and very quiet. I've used lots of other slings in the past, but this is the best I've found.

I will buy several more Montana slings. Thanks, Pat!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My CZ 550 American in 6.5x55 Swedish sporting her Montana Sling. I'm sold, LOVE it!

[Linked Image]

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." --Matthew 6:33 KJV

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." --Col Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The Montana Sling is the best sling I've ever had on a rifle.........uhmmmmmm actually, mine gets switched from rifle to rifle. It is very functional.

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.