-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several G&H mounts on a couple of vintage rifles,as well as Talley's on later stuff,both work for me.I have one EAW,but a bugger to set up....no zero problem yet!

Last edited by rifle; 08/02/09.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps I did not make myself clear when I wrote:

"I want my rifles to be sighted in. I keep records on each of the front line ones as to their impact on what date with that rifles specific load.

What I mean is that I keep records on where the point of impact is for the first shot and then the group when I shoot a rifle at the range. The 'front line' rifles are the ones that stay sighted in and group well.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Perhaps I did not make myself clear when I wrote:

"I want my rifles to be sighted in. I keep records on each of the front line ones as to their impact on what date with that rifles specific load.

What I mean is that I keep records on where the point of impact is for the first shot and then the group when I shoot a rifle at the range. The 'front line' rifles are the ones that stay sighted in and group well.

Understand, but do you confirm a rifle's zero before you take that rifle on a hunting trip? Like a few days or a week prior?

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Of course I am going to answer yes. smile

I do the best that I can. The trip to VT for deer is not demanding shooting. Its woods hunting and the 99F is always on. Of late I have carried other rifles there too and they might be checked at the range before hand if it be a week or a day or so. For sure they would be checked if the scope or stock had been off.

For varmint hunting done here in CT the staying sighted in demands are much higher. The ranges are likely to be longer. Those rifles are checked as well. My old Floyd Butler highwall has been right on forever. Of late I have been shooting a 243 Kimber and thats checked and been good.

I look at the records for the rifle in question and note what the load was and its impact location at 100 and 200 yds.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My point in all of this is, if I have any POI issues with removing my scope from a hunting rifle, I address it when sighting in before the season. And, you sight in before the season also. This makes your issue of me removing my scopes moot.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have any of you tried the Talbot mounts.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at a set on a rifle a few weeks ago.I was just not impressed for the type rifles I like(blue&wood)maybe something like a tactical? Seem to be built OK!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What I do know, from many tests, is that Weavers will replace quite precisely when mounted and replaced with a minimum of care. Which is why I still use them on some of my own rifles.

Are you using the Weaver aluminum bases, or only the rings? Is there any drawback to the aluminum bases?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have started using the two pc Burris XTB Weaver style bases which are steel and have multiple cross slots which can make mounting your scope easier as far as eye relief, so far the easiest to use when one changes scopes of different size and shape, they work well with their Zee rings, Weavers, Warnes etc,I will be replacing most of my other bases as I go,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leupold QRW's have behaved well for me.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
JD, do you happen to know who made the QD ring and base set-up the old Kimber folks used to sell? They were downright dainty but very strong and tough. I had a set holding a Leupold 1.5x5 on a 460 Weatherby. They impressed me.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Burris Zee rings work as well as the Weaver. Perhaps prettier though.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What I do know, from many tests, is that Weavers will replace quite precisely when mounted and replaced with a minimum of care. Which is why I still use them on some of my own rifles.

Are you using the Weaver aluminum bases, or only the rings? Is there any drawback to the aluminum bases?

Contrary to what JB has found, the Weaver rings for me were ok on steel bases but I have had 3 or 4 heavy recoiling rifles that wallowed out the aluminum weaver bases. I won't use aluminum now for that very reason unless it is a one-piece Talley.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe the Kimber stup became Warne Premiers. I have a couple of rifles with those on them. Why they quit making them I never did figure out.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
ARMS is one option that hasn't been mentioned yet.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I have used warne QD's, I think I'll try Talley's this time.

Thanks MD, and crew good info.

Spot

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
I believe the Kimber stup became Warne Premiers. I have a couple of rifles with those on them. Why they quit making them I never did figure out.
Thank you sir! I was hoping they were still available but didn't hold out much hope, having never seen them for a long time. Sure were a nice set up, though!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.