Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Title says it all, I want to be able to swap scopes on a Sako Quad rifle that has a weaver rail on it.

Spot

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't know about "Best" but I have the Warne and the Leupold QRW (who makes some of the Leupold stuff) and they seem pretty good to me. If you put it on right the first time, the come back pretty close (always within 1/2 MOA for me) each subsequent time. Maybe there are better ones? I don't know

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had good luck with the old style detachable Weaver top mounts returning pretty close to zero on several different rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on the Leupold QD. I torture tested these for years with my 378 B with no failures. Spotshooter I think your asking the impossible. Different companies don't have QD that match up. EVen they have high mounts, med mounts, low mounts.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i've had real good luck with the warnes. On my 375HH over 1500 rds. under them. take 2 scopes to Africa both sighted in I figure the scope is the high mortality part.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Best I've ever seen are Talleys.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For me it's Leupold QR's and from what I've heard the more they wear in the better they return to original poa. I think when new Leupold says they will return to 0.5moa. I've found that to be accurate.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Warne is number one in my opinion. Rings and Bases just don't get any better.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have run a bunch of tests on various detachable mounts (including the so-called "perfect" German claw mounts, which aren't perfect) and have yet to see anything beat the standard Weaver mount by any significant amount.

The "secret" to any detachable mount that uses some sort of lever/screw system to re-attach each ring is to tighten each ring ALTERNATELY, as when tightening lug-nuts on a car's wheels. If you do that, even the really cheap Weaver rings will replace pretty exactly.

All the other rings so far mentioned use tightening levers or screws, and I have also found them all to work quite well when tightened correctly. If I step up from Weaver rings, I generally go to Talleys, as they are machined from forged steel rather than cast, as are the the Warnes and Leupolds. Thus the Talleys are a little stronger, though for most purposes the others will work fine.

I must also mention that I have used Weaver rings and bases on rifles up to .416 Remington Magnum without a problem. So If you want to use Weaver rings on your rifle I would be hard put to imagine any problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Are the Warne and Leupold rings cast, or MIM?

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good question. From my understanding they are cast, but dunno for sure. I have heard of both breaking on heavy recoiling rifles (or when tightened down too enthusiastically, as with extra "tools") but have never heard the same about Talleys.

What I do know, from many tests, is that Weavers will replace quite precisely when mounted and replaced with a minimum of care. Which is why I still use them on some of my own rifles.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 07/31/09.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The old strap top Weavers may not be pretty, but they sure do work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure the Talley QD's are better than the Leupold QR's but I can tell you that I'm very pleased with Leupy's QR's. Have them on both my travel guns and they work great. I especially like their use of small levers that don't seem to get caught up as easily as others with larger levers. Nice streamline look as well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Title says it all, I want to be able to swap scopes on a Sako Quad rifle that has a weaver rail on it.

Spot

If he has a Weaver rail, then he can't use Talleys. He can use a host of tactical rings but most aren't set up for quick removal. I do like the Leupold QRW even though I rarely take them off!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Are the Warne and Leupold rings cast, or MIM?

I do not know about the Leupold rings for certain, but I think they are machined.

However, the current Warne rings are MIM then finished with CNC machining.

MIM parts are strong (used for piston rods, etc.). However, due to their porous nature (at the microscopic scale), they cannot be finely polished and blued. Warne powder coats them.

I have seen a couple of older Warne rings that had been used a lot, and the powder coating had worn away on the corners. Looked like crap... That, combined with their weight and their big blocky styling that has all the aesthetic appeal of an anvil... Well, let's just say that the current Warne rings a long way down from the older Warne Premier rings

John

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Because scopes interfere with getting rifles nested into the gun safes, I've gone to Leupold QR's for all of my rifles.
I suspect that Talley's QR's are excellent, but I originally had two sets of the Leupolds on rifles, and continued with them so I can interchange scopes on all rifles.
I have never done a check on whether or not they hold zero when reinstalling scopes, but I can deal with that if it ever is an issue.
The Leupolds are very well made, nothing cheap about them at all.
When reinstalling a scope, I just make sure the rings are pushed all the way forward in the Weaver base, then tighten the levers.
Scopes mounted on rifles are a real PITA when trying to get as many rifles in the safe as possible, especially if the scope has target turrets.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMB
Because scopes interfere with getting rifles nested into the gun safes, I've gone to Leupold QR's for all of my rifles.

I have never done a check on whether or not they hold zero when reinstalling scopes, but I can deal with that if it ever is an issue.

I want my rifles to be sighted in. I keep records on each of the front line ones as to their impact on what date with that rifles specific load.

I would not remove my scopes and put them over there and then put one on a rifle and go hunting without testing how much the impact changes if any.

To each his own.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of my hunting guns wear 1x4x20mm scopes in QR rings so I can swap in a more powerful scope for load development and paper punching. I use Weavers, Warnes, Leupolds,and Durasight. They all seem to work equally as well. I usually take a presighted scope along as a backup on hunting trips incase of a fall so we don't have to waste time trying to resight a rifle, just put the other scope on and worry about it later.

AWS

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I tried Leupold QD rings on an Encore 375 H&H Magnum and they shot loose.

I use Talley QD rings on a 458 Lott and Warne QD rings and bases on a Contender and Encores with recoil up to 300 Win. Mag. with no problems at all. The scopes can be removed and reinstalled with no loss of zero.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by DMB

I want my rifles to be sighted in. I keep records on each of the front line ones as to their impact on what date with that rifles specific load.

I would not remove my scopes and put them over there and then put one on a rifle and go hunting without testing how much the impact changes if any.

To each his own.

So, you don't confirm a scope's zero before you go hunting.. That's interesting.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.