Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Yeah, I was kinda worried I may need another pack. Would it be good if I just got a pack frame to keep in the truck. Pack what I could out on my backpack and on the return swap out for the frame to finish?

Thats probably a good idea, but I don't know how much meat you could carry in a normal backpack. (never tried). I will have to comment on the jeans though. I don't think I have ever killed an elk when I was not wearing jeans. They do get wet, and it can be uncomfy, but I don't see it as a big deal. I guess if you are sitting on wet stumps it could be a deal breaker though. I hunt pretty much everything in jeans, except when wandering through deep snow. It is likely you will not have snow, based on my experience during that time of year around Elk City. Just my $0.02. Your host knows a lot more about the area than I do though.

A lot of that country is rugged. ATV's can only get you so far. Even if legal, I highly doubt you could get one very far off a road because of all the downed timber. I would buy a bear tag too...just in case.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In preparing for your hunt, get a good map of the country you're going to hunt and a good compass or gps unit. Then study the map so you're pretty familiar with the territory before you set foot in it. I've seen to many folks get turned around or gone down the wrong drainage in elk country to not suggest this. Spend your time hunting instead of trying to find your way out.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When people talk about fleece, they are referring to polyesther fleece. It's fuzzy, lightweight and insulates well. Since it's synthetic it does not soak up moisture and even though anything can get wet, fleece will dry very quickly.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Buy something with Vibram style tread. You can either go all leather and waterproof it well ( After trying many of the "new technology" waterproofers, I've gone back to Biwell wax), or buy a pair of boots with a Gore-Tex lining--but you still need to waterproof the leather and/or the synthetic. Except for the coldest of late fall/early winter hunting, I don't wear insulated boots.

I tend towards synthetic clothing rather than wool for most situations. Synthetic is less expensive--usually. Staying dry is the first consideration--from your own sweat or the weather. Synthetic/wool clothing will wick well and dry out quickly.

You don't need a spotting scope for most elk hunting--spend the dough on more pressing needs.

A daypack for hunting during the day is all you need--most first time hunters carry too much gear anyway. Decent backpacks have become less expensive in recent times--$150-$200 will buy a fairly good one. Check Mountainsmith packs.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[/quote] I will have to comment on the jeans though. I don't think I have ever killed an elk when I was not wearing jeans. They do get wet, and it can be uncomfy, but I don't see it as a big deal. I guess if you are sitting on wet stumps it could be a deal breaker though. [/quote]

It simply amazes me that someone would recommend cotton jeans for a late October elk hunt in this area. Especially to someone who has not hunted elk before. North Idaho is often wet in the fall. Not only might you be a bit "uncomfy" you could wind up dead.

A couple years ago I picked up a father and his 12-year-old son walking down a mountain road in the dark. The son was darn near froze and shivering like crazy. The boy was to the point of starting to have difficulty walking because he was so wet and cold. From their story, a few hours earlier a herd of elk ran across the road in front of them and they grabbed their rifles and bailed out after them. The inch of wet snow didn't look too bad, but a couple hours and a few miles later they were soaking wet in their jeans and sweatshirts. The term "cotton kills" was not made up because people get a little uncomfy.

Last edited by Lonny; 08/10/09.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with Lonny. I've seen several hunters get into the same very serious trouble he described.

Cotton kills.

L. W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
WOOO HOOO!! laugh

I just scored a Columbia Gallatin Range Wool Jacket and a pair of Columbia Gallatin Range Wool Pants...both for less than $65 bucks...as long as it is in pretty decent shape, and nothing happens between now and them arriving, I don't think I did too bad whistle .

My Soon to be New Threads

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 13,375 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,126
Posts18,542,317
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.