Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
To no one in particular..
I'll be awful glad when this stinking heat of summer melts away and the cool days of November and December come upon us so we can get back into the field and FINALLY shoot another deer.

Generally i shoot behind the crease.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

When you come full circle it always comes back to shot placement and good shot placement takes you back to practice. Confidence kills them.

Dat about wraps it up! laugh
I like succinct...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's what I call a shoulder shot. Sorry if I upset anyone.

My 257 Roberts load was a 120 grain Speer Hot-Cor over a published load of H4831.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Big_Redhead; 08/06/09.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
120gr Speer Hot Core out of a 257AI at about 3050, has been my most-used load over the last 15 years or so. Don't know the exact number of deer, but it's been quite a few. Never recovered a bullet or lost a deer.

And the 120gr IS a heavy-for-caliber bullet in 257.

All I can say is that my experience with this bullet is VERY different from yours.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad it works for you. I know a lot of guys like the caliber. It just so happens that I had a couple bad experiences. I would probably like it better loaded with TSXs. My wife used it for a few years with Hot Cors. When we were getting ready to go caribou hunting we decided to get her a different rifle with a bit larger caliber, so we got a Winchester M70 Classic Compact in 308 caliber. She loves that little rifle. She used factory 180 grain Winchester Power Points for caribou, and they worked very well. My handloads with Varget and 165 grain Speer Hot Cors shoot better in the gun so that is what she uses for deer.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Texas Hunter

I'll be awful glad when this stinking heat of summer melts away and the cool days of November and December come upon us so we can get back into the field and FINALLY shoot another deer.

Plus a whole helluva lot of 1s............................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At that angle I go a little higher. I Want to get that spine too.

JM

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Move that crosshair up and back about three inches each way. Basically put it between the current horizontal crosshair and that reddish spot higher up on the deer's shoulder. Hit that spot, and you bust the shoulder blades. Go low, and you're in the lungs. Go high, and you spine shoot it. Go forward, and you get the shoulder/leg joint.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Texas Heart Shot from a treestand using a 375 RUM or greater. Aim 2" below the "bullseye" and they drop in their tracks everytime. The best part is they are completely field dresses before they hit the ground.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Move that crosshair up and back about three inches each way. Basically put it between the current horizontal crosshair and that reddish spot higher up on the deer's shoulder. Hit that spot, and you bust the shoulder blades. Go low, and you're in the lungs. Go high, and you spine shoot it. Go forward, and you get the shoulder/leg joint.

Dude, if that red spot is the one I"m seeing, thats actually OVER the spine by a hair You miss that area and its bang flop, get up and run away with a flesh wound.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The diagrams are great. It does show that if you center punch the shoulders, you are not breaking anything but possibly ribs. It sounds like most are hitting the scapula when referring to "braking the shoulder." Thanks for clarifying, guys. As stated before, there are more than a few locations to place a shot that result in a dead deer.

Remember, the only credible proof of a bullet failing to penetrate is if the animal hit by the projectile in question is later recovered. The recovery must be before scavengers have destroyed the carcas so the shot placement can be confirmed, and the amount of damage from the failed bullet can be seen.

I have only confirmed one bullet failure. I shot a deer with a 30-06 and a handloaded 165gr Partition. The first shot did not drop him, so I followed with a second shot, putting him down instantly. The rear core of the first shot was lodged in the ON-SIDE hide just behind the shoulder. The second shot was just in front of the shoulder, breaking the spine/neck. The first shot did damage the lungs, as revealed when gutted. While skinning him out, I found a nice round hole in a rib from the first shot.

The best I can figure out is that it was a fluke occurance where the jacket material grabbed the rib while expanding and was stopped.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Best I can tell you is lung placement on failures, 165 sierra game king from an 06, and double lung punch, lung tissue on ground too... buck was killed 2-3 weeks later with a neck shot, showed all the healing scar material in each lung, dime sized basically....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think a .338 Federal in an AR10 would be good for those
tough deer on the Internet! smile
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.