Print Thread
Hop To
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Guys, been looking at side by side doubles. Can anyone give me some info on the Ugartechea's? Seem like a good double for the money.
Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a used Ugartechea S&S in 20ga ic&f not long ago. It was so light and short that I just had to have it. I almost forgot that I have a Bernadelli 20ga Gamecock! wink

The Ugartechea was used and at a good price. It goes only 5.3 lbs, 25" barrels, straight grip, double triggers, made in Spain, plain wood, hard rubber butt plate and it comes up fast!

I paid less than $400 for it. Are you looking at new or used. What model are you after, ga etc?

A shotgun has to have some style for me or I would rather carry a pistol or rifle.

Bernadelli on the left and the Ugartechea on the right.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the reply! I'm the same as far as rather carrying a pistol or rifle which is why I figured a S by S would be nice. I don't want to spend a ton of money and the Ugartechea's seem like the best bang for the buck.I'm looking for a 12 gauge and would rather buy a nice used one. Problem is, I don't know much about them. Are some years better than others and so on. I realized I live about two hours drive from the importer so thought about taking a drive and checking them out.New, the grade I's seem to be about $1400.I've seen nice used ones online for alot less but again don't know if the new ones are better or no? You got a great deal on yours!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$1,400 seems like a lot of money to me for what I got which is just a boxlock spanish gun. As I said mine is a 221 model.

On Gunbroker the grades and prices were all over the place and that might include a sidelock gun.

The Bernadelli is a nicer gun in my view but again there are so many models and styles of each brand. I paid about $850 for the 20 ga Bernadelli.

If I were you I would keep shopping. If you do buy new from that source perhaps you could pick one out with special wood for a good price.

W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the reply, good advice, I'll keep shopping till I find one at a decent price.

IC B2

S
S
If you are looking for a side by side have you considered an American LC Smith. I have a 1929 ideal grade IC/M chokes and 28" barrels it has pretty much retired my benelli cordoba for dove and quail.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savage_99

The Bernadelli is a nicer gun in my view but again there are so many models and styles of each brand. I paid about $850 for the 20 ga Bernadelli.

Is your Bernardelli Gamecock double or single trigger ? I have the Premier Gamecock in 12 GA with single trigger and auto ejectors and it is one of my favorite Ruff Grouse shotguns.
[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seems I should have kept my old Ugartachea 12 ga sxs. Was only $250..

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats a very nice collection of grouse.

My Gamecock is a double trigger boxlock with 27.5" barrels ic&f.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ugartechea doubles have been imported by a large number of different importers in a large variety of guages, styles, prices--and qualities. They run from very high quality sidelocks to some really rough boxlocks. They all work, in my experience, but you really have to shop around and try not to buy "sight unseen." My general take on Spanish shotguns is avoid single triggers; they are kind of a crapshoot as far as quality and function go. And when they don't work, you either have a dangerous gun or a non-shooting nongun..... Same goes for ejectors. I've owned 3 Ugartecheas, a .410, a 16, and a 12. All were very basic boxlocks with double triggers and non-ejector. All worked (fired and extracted) fine. Finish varied from clunky (.410) to very nice (16 which I still have). Wood varied from "pallet grade" (.410) to handsome (16). One of the .410 barrels shot to point of aim; both did in the 12 and the 16.

Only the higher grades approach the finish of the Bernardelli Gamecock or Gamecock Deluxe--the plain boxlocks are more of the quality fo the Bernardelli San Uberto I. The plain boxlocks should be cheap if used (since you aren't paying the present "Euro Premium").

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Premier Gamecock is choked IC&IM

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Well, I found a Ugartachea 12 gauge boxlock in pretty much new condition with factory 3" chambering and checkered buttstock (no plate or pad)for $750. What do you Guys think?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Extractor or ejector? Double or single trigger? Age (should have a date-of-proof stamp--do you know what that is? If not, ask here.) Importer? What is the wood like? Does it feel good to you? barrel length and chokes? (Those magnum chambers won't be much use in a 25" IC/M gun. Won't hurt anything either unless you try shooting magnums in it. Then it will only hurt your shoulder and pocketbook....) What's the engraving like? Is the reciever blue or coin finished? All this stuff affects value/cost.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have owned several Uggies over the years and IMO they are the most bang for the buck in a sxs. They are well built. I know a guy who ran 65k shell thru a extractor boxlock of the basic sort without a hitch. Look under the name Parker Hale as many were imported under that marque. I have never seen or heard of a major problem with the designs or company. You can read more about them in Terry Wieland's book "Spanish Best". Actually they are Basque. I currently have a 28, a 12 and a 20 in the Churchill configuration. I doubt you will be disappointed. Do stick with the double triggers as mentioned. I have had excellent luck with their ejectors. Because dynamics are very important on a sxs, I would want to have one in hand before committing to the purchase. Best of luck. This type of gun can be like heroine.

No real knock on the Italian guns but as a group they historically tend toward the heavy side. So watch for that if it is a big deal for you.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I agree with oldtrapper 100%. I've gone through a bunch of sxs shotguns and my current favorite upland gun is an ugartechea falcon 28ga. The 1970's and 80's imports are usually pretty affordable with the 12 ga guns being the least expensive and the smaller gauges bringing more bucks.

I'm a fan of double triggers and extractors on any double gun.

Weagle

[Linked Image]

Last edited by weagle; 08/05/09.
W
wiktor Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the reply's Guys! Well it should be on it's way to me soon.I'm looking forward to receiving it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some years back I had a 20 ga. that was imported under the Churchill brand. Used it quail hunting(when we still had birds) and shot a couple rounds of skeet quite a few weekends during the summer. Had maybe 3 cases of loads through it when the hinge pin came loose in the frame. I mean really loose like the frame had chipped out or something. Sent it to a good shotgun smith for evaluation and he sent it back saying it wasn't worth fixing. Sure wish I could afford a good one and still had wild quail to hunt with it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
By way of clarification, my gun is of the Churchill configuration as in XXV, not Churchill name. I have never seen an actual Ugartechea under the Churchill marque. That is not to say it has never happened - only I have never seen it. Ugartechea, truly has an enviable reputation for quality. If I recall correctly, EJ Churchill had some affiliation with Arrieta, another Basque maker of good repute.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.