Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have killed them with bows as well.

That is open woods you are in. You're lucky, because when I hit one with a well placed arrow like you did, I ended up crawling a couple of hundred yards thru brush and briars to find him. I ended up bleeding more than the hog.

That will make you concentrate on the next one, believe me.

As far as modern optics go, I can stick you in a place where hogs are and you'll pry those modern day optics off of your rifle in about 2 minutes.

JM.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My pig was around a 100-150 miles East of Nashville. Supposed to have been around a 1000 fenced acres, probably closer to 500. Hunt was in early March. 1/2 of the area was pretty brushy and you had to get on your hands and knees. Where I took the shot I was kneeling down going through the crap.

With a rifle it would have been no challenge, few guys took them with pistols in my group and they had to work for them a little bit.

Took me a couple days and I took the largest in our group, only one with a bow. Still went probably a 1/4 mile, but really bled. As you can see the arrow went in behind the ribcage into the vitals. Strong quartering away shot.

It was a three day hunt and the next day I would have taken my black powder if I wasn't successful with my bow.

GOOD EATING though

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sjs

I have never shot a hog, except to farm butcher with a .22LR, but I know an excuse to buy a new Marlin Lever 18" Guide Gun in .45-70 when I see one. That was my rationalization, and I still haven't went hog hunting. I used the same excuse on my SS Ruger .223 Ranch Rifle, Rem Mod 81 auto in .300Sav, a couple of Win 94 .32Win, and couple of Marlin 336 .35Rems. Go for a new Guide Gun. You won't be sorry. Good luck on your hunt. Life is good.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
SJS...you will do well with that rifle and with the scope set to 3X

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cal74
All you need is a well placed arrow where it counts.

Other than my bow, my next option would be a pistol of some sorts. I don't by into the staying away from a scope on a gun. Those comments come from people who aren't used to modern day optics and don't trust their scopes.

Crappy pic of me, but here's a piggy of mine a couple years ago.

[Linked Image]

Weidmannsheil on the boar.

Between the two of us (and anyone reading this) calling that shot "well placed" is a stretch.
It was "well enough" placed to kill the hog.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Looks like we have a similar idea of hog "optics".

And 'lo and behold' the Marlin .45-70 kills hogs.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I shot quit a few with a 243 and 25-06. Never didnt work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on your M70 30/06. I think you'll do just fine. I believe that where you hit them is more important than what you hit them with. Where we hunt if you don't put the hog down where it stands you'll most likely lose it to the swamp and the gators, so we go for head shots mostly. I've seen hogs (about 200 now) shot with .223, 243, 257, 308, 30/06, 338RCM no 30/30 yet but no reason they won't do a dandy job. You put a bullet in the right place and the hog will be dead, so if your comfortable with that M70 then it'll work for you, and I'd use the scope at 3X and be happy.

[Linked Image]

Most of these were shot with .223's using head shots, some of the others were with a 308 and maybe a 338RCM
(that 338RCM is kinda marginal imo grin)

The older I get the better I was.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am into hog/boar hunting & have shot them in many states & want a European Boar the next time I cross the pond. That is one damn fine boar with a lot of Russian.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on where and how I am hunting. My .358 Win works fine if the range isn't much past 200 or 250 yards. Otherwise, I use a .30-06 or .300 Win mag for longer shots, like across barley fields.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by cal74
All you need is a well placed arrow where it counts.

Other than my bow, my next option would be a pistol of some sorts. I don't by into the staying away from a scope on a gun. Those comments come from people who aren't used to modern day optics and don't trust their scopes.

Crappy pic of me, but here's a piggy of mine a couple years ago.

[Linked Image]

Weidmannsheil on the boar.

Between the two of us (and anyone reading this) calling that shot "well placed" is a stretch.
It was "well enough" placed to kill the hog.

The weight of the animal makes the arrow look like it's parallel with the hog. It was more about 45 degrees, rather than the 80 or so that it seems. Hit both lungs and went out the other side, bled like a stuck pig that a blind man could have followed. I've taken similar shots on whitetails and it's worked perfectly everytime.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
that is a well placed shot with a bow on that boar. a quartering shot were you slip the arrow in behind the shield works real good on the big boars

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks you for the explantion - and for taking my remark in good spirit.

Never a day where you do not learn something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He killed it, so it was a good enough shot and that is a prize hog.

A couple of things:

If I arrowed a hog and it traveled a 1/4 mile, I didn't make a good shot.

Looking at the angle of entry, It's questionable whether it even contacted the off side lung.

A hog's vitals are quite small for it's size and located forward in the animal. The lung area is actually located mid shoulder on a broadside shot. The heart is low in the body. The Photos I found below show where the stuff is at.
[img]http://[/img] [Linked Image]
AS YOU CAN SEE THE CAVITY AREA IS ONLY SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN THE HAND OF MY 13 YR OLD SON, WHO SHOT THE HOG. THE LARGE ARTERIES FROM THE LUNGS AND HEART ARE SEEN PLAINLY IN THE PHOTO.

JM

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

722 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 3,314 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,310
Posts18,526,179
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.