Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sceery cottontail for me. I do use some of Primos/Randy Anderson calls to as well!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to ask my personal favorite handcall - Sceery AP-6.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by billigaot
what about the approach to the stand some say it makes all the difference others say just stroll in and sit down. Any thoughts?

It really depends on where you're hunting, type of terrain/cover & what the animals are doing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by billigaot
what about the approach to the stand some say it makes all the difference others say just stroll in and sit down. Any thoughts?

As someone said, set up starts in your truck...don't roll in with the radio going, don't slam the door etc....
I always made it a point to approach the stand as if there were a coyote sitting on it...quiet and unseen as much as possible....there are always eyes out there watching...if so much as a bird sees you, makes an alarm call and goes sqwuaking off, old 'brer coyote knows what that sound means...
Just like somebody rolling through your neighborhood with a siren on..
And keep the wind in your favor...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know what I'd recommend regarding brand of call to use. When I started hunting coyotes back in the mid 70s, my high school hunting buddies and I all used Weems Wildcalls. Through the college years we continued using the Weems and literally killed hundreds and hundreds of coyotes. We were selling fur for extra money while at school. For some reason, I purchased a Dennis Kirk open reed call in the mid to late 80s. It worked even better. I used that call almost exclusively for the next ten or so years. When that call finally wore out I couldn't replace it since they were out of production. I went back to the Weems for a while but didn't feel like I was doing as well as I was used to. So for the last 10 years or so I've been trying a few different brands but haven't hit on one that I really like. I think it's probably just me. If I had confidence in a call I'd use it more, the more I used it, the more confidence I'd have in it. My only recomnedation is to try the open reed calls. They allow you to make a variety of distress sounds. The best sound for me is a jackrabbit next best is a coyote pup.

I began hunting coyotes for the money. Therefore, I've always thought of it in terms of how I can produce the most coyotes in a single day. I've always hunted on foot hiking from stand to stand. Walking takes me into roadless areas that truck hunters never get to. My strategy is to cover as much ground as I can and make as many good calls as possible. I use reasonable care to stay out of sight, but I also try not to waste too much time. If I have to cross open ground, then I do it. I try to pick the best stand locations I can, but they don't have to be perfect. If you're always trying to get to that one perfect spot where you can see coyotes coming for a long ways, chances are they'll see you. I go for the less obvious places where I can see an approaching coyote for a 300 or 400 hundred yards. After all, they're coming to me. I just need to be where I can see 'em before they get down wind or too close.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crit'r Call or TT Overdose, can't leave home without them. laugh

Is it Friday yet?
O
O
I'd pick an old wooden Circe or an old wooden Weems. Why? Because they have won more calling contest and probably killed more coyotes then all the rest. Besides I'm old, so my calls should be old too.
MW460, I also hunted for numbers of animals but in competition. In the late 70s...79 I think, the pelts went sky high. I cased out the cats and a few coyotes, made some real good money at the time.......Good hunting

Last edited by onecoyote; 08/13/09.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hey Danny, nothing wrong with either of those. I killed a few critters with an old Weems Wildcat (?) call myself. I just like the flexability of an open reed.

Ya'll pay attention to onecoyote, he maybe "old" but that just means he's been doing this along time and he might know a thing or two!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Those were the days onecoyote. I remember averaging about $100 apiece for coyotes those years. I can recall getting $165 for one very nice pale. Hell, you could get $60 for a shot to crap brown, rubbed coyote. In 1978, my first year of college, I shot enough coyotes to pay for a brand new Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup. I think I sold about 70 coyotes that year. Killed most of them from October to December while I was in school at Montana State. I did it with the only call I had which was a Weems Wild Call. I like to use wooden calls my self. I just don't like plastic hunting stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mostly use custom calls these days though the crit'r call and lil dog still get some play. Hard to beat a well tuned custom for ease of use in an open reed call.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it was 20 years ago this last winter when i first began calling coyotes and i've used a lot of calls...
most calls will work if they're used enough...

i now use primarily electronic calls, but they are a recent addition to the trick bag...

my all time favorite mouth blown call is the haydels gov't hunter cottontail...

i've also used the crit'r call, dennis kirk open reed, big river cottontal, sceery cottontail, johnny stewarts rubber band call, quaker boy howler, faulks cottontal... all of which have called a fair number of coyote in like they were on a string...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by onecoyote
I'd pick an old wooden Circe or an old wooden Weems. Why? Because they have won more calling contest and probably killed more coyotes then all the rest. Besides I'm old, so my calls should be old too.
MW460, I also hunted for numbers of animals but in competition. In the late 70s...79 I think, the pelts went sky high. I cased out the cats and a few coyotes, made some real good money at the time.......Good hunting

I'm definitely with you on those choices. Put alot of fur in the back of the truck using Weems and Circe back in the 70's and 80's... Still have a few of those too along with the green Circe.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I purchased two calls from Porath Thursday night. Can't wait to get them.

I am also looking for several of the ones listed so far.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by onecoyote

In the late 70s...79 I think, the pelts went sky high.

I remember walking into a Fish & Game office somewhere in MT in 1978 and they had a framed picture of a big pale coyote that had brought $275.00.

Them prices turned everyone into a varmint shooter.

Notice I didn't say hunter........

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I just got my calls from Porath. They sound like they will work great, esp the one you inhale. It came with an instruction cd. Waiting for my wife to go to bed to listen to it.

But, I am the man of the house!

2 b 1 ask 1 !
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"But, I am the man of the house!"

and if you want to stay the man of the house, you'll practice in your truck. All by yourself. grin

Last edited by TWR; 09/02/09.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've used different calls...the Sceery cottontail, jackrabbit, and coaxer; the Circe cottontail, a Weems.

Lately I've been trying the Randy Anderson calls, the Li'l Dog, Ki-Yi, Hot Dog, and Catnip. I'm also trying the Tweety and Psycho Tweety. I have all 3 Crit'r Calls, as well as a Tally-Ho.

In the last year I picked up a Power Dogg and last month got me a Foxpro FX-3, which I hope to try out soon.

If I were recommending just a couple of mouth calls, it would prolly be the Li'l Dog and the Catnip, with the Ki-Yi thrown in, too.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Y
Critt R call or electronic for me.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I got a lil'dog last weekend. Good call.

I found a flextone call made under the Remington label. I saw how it was used on utube, but I be darn if I can duplicate the call

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My most productive call is my Faulks P60 A. I just have the best damned luck with that thing.

I have some Sceery's and a pile of others but my go to is the Faulks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,131
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.