-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here are a few pics of my Rem Custom Shop Mod 7 .350 mag before and after Karl put his stuff to work.

I sent it to Karl on 2 occasions to have a little pimping done here and there. I really love this rifle, and purchased it for a good price, which helped justify some extra custom work.

Fresh paint on the stock, bedded, recrowned, fluted bolt, hunter/tactical bolt knob, SS mag follower, drilled and tapped for a 2 screw rear Talley, open sight holes filled in, Cerakote all around. It now wears a 2.5-8 Leupold, not the Burris in the before pic. Shoots great too (despite that skinny lil' tube)!

BEFORE:
[Linked Image]

AFTER:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Typical Group:

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice rifle in a power house cal .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amen to that Bea, when a light rifle is bedded well, lacking stress, you can get great accuracy. But Sakoluvr, Where did the fifth shot go? wink

Nice set up, when I saw pic 1, I thought, I'd want a 2 pc. base, and then I scrolled down. Nice package - well done, thought out and good work.

Typically smaller bores give smaller groups, but I have a theory, I think larger cases are less prone to velocity variations as smaller ones (without weighing brass and powder charges), ie. a mag case vs. 308 case, all else a grain of powder fluctuation gives a larger % difference and more E.S./Standard deviation in the smaller case. ALSO, I think a round with a higher expansion ratio - i.e. larger bore relative to case capacity - has a better chance to completely burn powder in the bore, Also thereby giving very consistent speeds shot to shot. I think this my often be why a well built rifle in say 350 RM or 338/06, etc. can often shoot right next to or better than something smaller i.e. a 260 or 7mm-08. I may be wrong, but that's been a hunch of mine. Perhaps they fould differently as well, but bbl cleaning is another issue.

Perhaps there is more to it yet, inc. how a bore with a large hole vibrates vs. the nodes in a like bbl with a smaller bore (stiffness and how heat build up occurs aside), not to mention how difficult it is to manufacture a smaller bore vs. larger bore to consistent specs. There likely would be a difference I think in bbls of various bore size in production rifles i.e. hammer forged bbl by Rem. Remember the fouling issues causing split 17 Rem tubes in early 700s? Anyway, when going custom one can have quality in any size bore I am confident.

I am no scientist, ballistician, etc. but I'd bet those rounds like 338/06 and 350 mag, medium capacity w/good bore size give very tight velocity spreads all else equal contributing to tight groups which many might not normally expect. I had a 338/06 with a Hart tube that was a consistent 1/2 MOA gun. It both shocked me, and left me elated!

Congrats Sakoluvr on a good shooting rifle! All you need now is open hunting season.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Very nice. I definitely like the make over Karl has done on it.

Color's look great.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice!!! Can't say I have seen a 350 I did not like... Cool caliber for sure.

Rick
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. I know I am overgunned for whitetails, but I just love the rifle. I have killed a few hogs with it too.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't apologize, I had a Ruger 77 a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it, played with 158 pistol bullets with 60gr of IMR 4895, it would X-PLODE water filled milk jugs at 200 yds all day, at 300, it dropped pretty good with those blunt bullets. 225s atop 4320 was all I shot for serious work, made the mistake of letting the landowner/hunting partner borrow it and it brought him luck.....10 pt. buck stepped out, SLAMMED him. Later he hammered a doe. Those 2 dropped via Sierras. VERY large exits in hide, minimal meat damage, VERY short blood trail....as in no tracking needed wink

It is more than most shots require, but you won't have to worry smile At dusk, a larger bore leaving an exit gives you peace of mind of not having a long tracking session if you do your part. It's very difficult when you get a drop here and a drop there, vs. a TRAIL of red.

The 350 is an underappreciated workhouse for any large game in NA IMHO.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nice looking/shooting rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR
Don't apologize, I had a Ruger 77 a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it, played with 158 pistol bullets with 60gr of IMR 4895, it would X-PLODE water filled milk jugs at 200 yds all day, at 300, it dropped pretty good with those blunt bullets. 225s atop 4320 was all I shot for serious work, made the mistake of letting the landowner/hunting partner borrow it and it brought him luck.....10 pt. buck stepped out, SLAMMED him. Later he hammered a doe. Those 2 dropped via Sierras. VERY large exits in hide, minimal meat damage, VERY short blood trail....as in no tracking needed wink

It is more than most shots require, but you won't have to worry smile At dusk, a larger bore leaving an exit gives you peace of mind of not having a long tracking session if you do your part. It's very difficult when you get a drop here and a drop there, vs. a TRAIL of red.

The 350 is an underappreciated workhouse for any large game in NA IMHO.

+1 on a short track. I hunt in a swamp where you cannot go in any direction without hitting serious water. I hate to track stuff in there, although floating critters out makes for an easy drag to the 4-wheeler. Last year I had to make a very quick shot at a buck chasing a few does all over a slough. Hearing those deer splashing all through that water gave me an adrenaline boost big time. Finally, a doe headed my way with the 8 pt hot on her. She ducked into a thicket behind me, and he stood quartering toward me for a split second to get her bearings. I let loose with a 225 gr Woodleigh in the left shoulder, and it ended up at his right ham. He made a quick turn and headed for the slough 25 yards behind him. I picked him up right at the edge of the water.

I have gotten to the point where I feel I can kill about anything with any caliber, but I really like the .35's Chamber that into a sweetheart rifle, and I am good to go!

Here is a real pretty hog that went DRT with another 225 Woodleigh, same swamp. The bullet went down through her head and nicked her left leg- you can see where in the picture.
She dropped like she went to sleep, and in about 3 or 4 seconds, just rolled to her side. Got her right at dark. One of only a handful of "red" hogs ever taken in that swamp.
[Linked Image]

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good .350 is a fine all around rifle. Nice piggy. Smoked wild hog is GOOD EATN'!!!

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's a red beauty. Congratulations on that big Momma Sakoluvr.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Very Nice ! I want one too !

Ken

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice indeed, Smoked Hog......ring the dinner bell when it's ready, I'll be there to try it out wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a custom 338-06 Ack and it groups the 210 gr Swift Sirocco with Rel 15 right at 1/2 inch at 100 yards . This is my go to Elk rifle because it is so light and you do more carrying Elk hunting than shooting. I really like your rifle and be over gunned for deer depends on how you load your ammo.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a sweet pimp job smile .

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's the only rifle that I own that comes the closest to being a "custom". I do realize it ain't though.

Then again, I almost consider my factory Mannlicher Schoenauers as custom rifles. Hard to fathom them as standard factory fodder in this day and age.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Goodness!!!!!!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Very nice! What color Cerakote is that? It looks great on your rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Olive

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bea, nice rifle it sounds like, hard not to like a 1/2MOA rifle! Esp. with ballistics to match.

You and SakoLuvr should have a 'Turkey Shoot'

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (673, 450yukon, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 21 invisible), 1,339 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,871
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.