Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I already know that a Jewell is the best trigger, but I'm looking to keep cost down on this next build.

I'm having a light weight 7WSM built and need a trigger. I haven't been able to find much about the Timney. I've heard that the quality on the RB has fallen off. I haven't heard much negative about the Shilen.

So what's everyone's opinion on the best trigger for a lightweight pack around rifle?

Thanks in advance.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shilen isn't any cheaper than a Jewell, is it?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
RB has quality C/S if needed......I have several Savage RB triggers and they are just fine....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If Timneys are good enough for Melvin on his New Ultralight Rifles, then they must be good.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Jewell, Timney and Shilen on 700's. Both are very good IMO. The Timney has a much wider trigger than the Shilen. The Shilen is a bit wider than the Jewell. I have RB's on a Ruger and Win70. Both were drop in and excellent.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I run Shilen and Timney, depending on application. Don't like the Rifle Basix.

Don't even CONSIDER a Jard for a Remington, I'd rather take a load of buckshot in the knees before messing with one of them again.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I run Shilen and Timney, depending on application. Don't like the Rifle Basix.

Same same.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
had a rifle basix on a m700 replaced it with a jewel. have a timney on a ruger that i'm fine with

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 3 Timneys - 2 on Rem600s and 1 on a 700. No complaints at all. One comment is that Timneys are wider than most triggers. This meant some inletting work on the stocks for my 600s. The 700 was a straight drop in.

If this is for a 700, you might want to pick up an X-Mark Pro trigger. I have two and picked up another this week from the classifieds here. You should be able to pick one up for $50 or so. They are easily adjustable and the ones I have are creep-free and stay set at 3 pounds. They might be a good fit if money is tight.

RH

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Don't even CONSIDER a Jard for a Remington, I'd rather take a load of buckshot in the knees before messing with one of them again.
Whats wrong with them? the adjustment a pain in the butt?
Just curious.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Tough to explain, but when you get around to doing the safety adjustment you will understand.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Still have it, I'll happily mail it to you, though it has been hit with a hammer a few times.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Is it anything like the AR-15 Jard?
I installed one on my AR and it was a bit of a pain but after it was done I was/am happy....course the safety aint part of the adjustment either.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Still have it, I'll happily mail it to you, though it has been hit with a hammer a few times.
Wouldnt happen to have the safety lever by any chance would you?
I broke mine......considering if it is able to be interchanged with a stock Remmie.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Entirely different safety.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
K thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have a lot of money, but I have found (for me) that the trigger is not the best place to save money on a rifle.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jewell may be a very good trigger for target rifles. I have two target rifles with Jewell triggers. But, there are other, better options for sporting rifles.
I have Rifle Basix and Timney triggers in sporters, both performing as good as it gets, far cheaper, and better than Jewell sporting triggers.
I don't even consider a Shilen trigger when buying a sporter trigger.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I own all three ~ Timney, Rifle Basix and Shilen. B/t the three, I haven't had any problems with any of them and it really all comes down to the installer and the preference on the trigger shoe. All of mine were installed by professional 'smiths when I had the guns built.

As for the trigger shoes, the RB is by far the widest shoe of them all. The Shilen is the thinnest with Timney being in the middle. The RB and Timney had a serrated shoe whereas the Shilen shoe is smooth with no radiused edge. My preference on trigger shoe is Timney.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had both good and bad experiences with the Rifle Basix triggers. I bought two of their SAV-1 triggers for two of my Savage varmint rifles. These replace only part of the Savage trigger. They worked OK, but they could not be adjusted safely down to the advertised one pound. They ended up at about two pounds. I bought a Rifle Basix trigger (CZ-527) for a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet. It was a drop-in of sorts. However, I had to modify the inside of the trigger guard quite a bit so that it had clearance. After that it works great.

I bought a Rifle Basix complete replacement trigger for a Remington varmint rifle (ERV-3). It is supposed to be an easy drop-in, but it just would not work. I asked a friend that is an excellent gun smith to help me out. After fooling with it for some time he concluded that it was defective. I called the Rifle Basix customer service and was thoroughly chewed out by Bob for letting a gun smith touch one of his triggers. He had me send the trigger back in and when I received it back from him, there was a note stating that my gun smith ruined it, but Bob fixed it. I know my friend and if he said that the trigger was defective, it was defective. The new trigger went in with no issues and works quite well.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 54 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.