Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have already handled a few of the feather weights and was very impressed with the quality of the wood and the machining and fit of the action and parts....local shop finally got on of the Extreme Weather actions in and I got to put my hands on it. Overall, I was fairly happy with what I saw. The bolt was realatively smooth and the trigger felt good.

My only detractor was the stock...I don't know who manufactures them, but I definitely was not impressed. I felt that the pistol grip did not drop far enough--a significant part of my hand was hanging off (although I do have rather large hands and I may be biased about that). I didn't care for the fore end either, I think it was too deep or tall (not real sure how to describe), I feel it should have been a little bit more vertically slimmer. Reminded me of grabbing a 2x4 standing on edge.

I feel they got it right with the FW models but I would be curious to see how their SG models feel.

Still wouldn't buy one till they offered a LH model however...

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I finally got to handle one at cabela's on a recent trip to Wyoming. The stock seems fairly typical of the B&C's I've used, not bad but sure not as trim as the Mickeys or even the Ti takeoffs. I just couldn't warm up to the fluted barrel though, just doesn't fit my eye for some reason. They had the bolt tied down so didn't get to work the action. I could like it much better with a lighter barrel contour and a trimmer stock, but then there is always the fwt.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Local store has had one on the rack for a few months now; I can't stand the fluted barrel and the stock feels and looks like a Bell and Carlson Medalist; too thick in the wrist for a 30-06, and the foreend is like the business end of a baseball bat.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yea all that but they shoot great. Last week and this week I got a .6 and .5 group at 200 with 130 grain partitions of course they were only a 3 shot group but this gun keeps growing on me. I agree the stock is a little clunky but I can live with that for now.

Last edited by ehunter; 08/15/09.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
my local gun store has 2, a 270 win and a 30-06. they looked, functioned, and felt fine to me. i have no need for another rifle, but an ew in 30-06 (or 270) would be a great "one rifle for everything" imo. obviously, others mmv.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I wonder if Winchester will bring out a regular stainless sporter with a cheap tupperware stock. I would like one and stuff it into a McEdge.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree with the statements about the stock, The 2x4 comparison sounds about right, what a shame I'd say the rest of the rifle is good to go but I can't get past that pitiful stock, whoever made the decision to use that thing pulled a real boner! Maybe B&C gave FN a great deal on a bunch of stocks they couldn't sell?.............................547.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I'd wonder how sale would be if it was sitting on a McEdge.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The EW doesn't look bad from afar...

[Linked Image]

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd be much more inclined to purchase one if the stock were slimmed down through the wrist and forearm. Something that approximated the old Fwt stock or along the lines of a Rem Mt. rifle stock would be much more to my liking.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Glad to hear I wasn't the only one that was a little turned off by the new synthetic handle they decided to outfit with.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by vital_kill
I'd wonder how sale would be if it was sitting on a McEdge.

Me too. The new Extreme Weather is one good stock (McMillan edge, imo) away from being the total package as far as over-the-counter rifles go.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
How many would they sell at 1400 that would be close to the cost with edge?

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know, but to complain about a B and C Medalist as a standard offering seems a little out of touch me. Dang good stocks -especially compared to most other synthetic factory pieces. My 02cents.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I handled one a few weeks back and wasn't impressed with the stock, but liked the rest of the gun.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kens: Yes, I agree and some of these posts sound like we're critiquing a walnut stock by Wiebe.

We will never see a McEdge or Brown or Bansner stock on a factory rifle for a grand.

The EW stock, while clubby and not my first choice,is rigid and worlds ahead of the old New Haven synthetics, which were junk.IMO the weight and dimensions of the rifle make it suitable for WSM or magnum chambering.

I'm happy with the FW I have and if I feel a need for a synthetic upgrade,would get a McMillan/Brown/Bansner.Problem with that rifle is that it's so accurate and predictable(so far)that I can't think of a way to improve it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ole_270
I just couldn't warm up to the fluted barrel though, just doesn't fit my eye for some reason.

I feel the same way, and wonder why they would go to the expense of putting shallow flutes on a sporter weight barrel? My first preference would be no flutes at all. Second preference if they have to put flutes, they could have brought them back closer to the shank.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just got my mitts on the EW... to say I am underwhelmed would be an understatement.

Hated the stock. The 3-Pos safety was sticky/ratchety, the bottom metal sloppy, junky. Based on some of the feedback on accuracy, they likely shoot but there's no way in hail I'd plunk down $950 for that rifle.

My .02

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by horse1
I'd be much more inclined to purchase one if the stock were slimmed down through the wrist and forearm. Something that approximated the old Fwt stock or along the lines of a Rem Mt. rifle stock would be much more to my liking.
Now this man is talking some sense! Hell with a stock like this I might even buy two......................547.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BobinNM - I bought a medalist to replace a very slim and great feeling\carrying Browning synthetic stock that I suspected of causing inconsistent shooting. The Medalist feels different and yes, not as slim, but to hear it one might think it a 2x4. It took me almost no time warming up to it and I have small hands. It has made the rifle cycle smoother, noticeably recoiling, and driving tacks. Compared to a wood featherweight the difference will be particularly apparent - I will admit that. The featherweight wood stock is the biggest reason I want one. Hope yours gives you many happy years. Point about the synthetic Winchester is that the factory stock is perfectly serviceable and will not be the cause of inconsistent shooting - like a whole lot of standard offering rifles. It won't have to be chucked to 'fix' something and I look on that as a positive for it.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 9 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.